Pablo aimar

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby GOAT » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:15 pm

BENITEZ WEIGHS UP AIMAR SWOOP
Jan 26 2008 by David Jones, Liverpool Echo

RAFA BENITEZ is weighing up a swoop for Argentinian playmaker Pablo Aimar.

The Liverpool boss is looking into the possibility of signing Aimar from Real Zaragoza after being alerted to his availability.

Benitez has managed Aimar previously when the pair worked together at Valencia – a time which Aimar openly admits was his most productive as a player.

Since then he has gone on to star for Zaragoza in La Liga after a £8.5m move from Valencia in July 2006.

Though a hugely popular figure among the Zaragoza fans, Aimar is believed to be ready to test himself in the Premiership and new Newcastle boss Kevin Keegan has already registered an interest in taking him to the north east.

But Benitez is monitoring the situation and could be prepared to make a move for Aimar – whom Diego Maradona once described as his "legitimate successor as the world's best player" – if the price is right.

With the transfer window set to close next Thursday, Liverpool would have to move fast if they are to secure a deal for the attacking midfielder. But with the club set to receive a fee in the region of £9m for Momo Sissoko, and Benitez having received the backing of co-owner Tom Hicks, there is nothing to stand in the way of them making an offer.

The 28-year-old has been linked with Liverpool before, shortly after Benitez quit Valencia to take over at Anfield, but no move transpired.

At the time Aimar said: "Rafa Benitez is an excellent coach who knows me very well and Liverpool would be an ideal place to go if I cannot sort out my future here.

"From what I can see, English football is the best in Europe next to Spain and I do not think I would have a problem adapting to the Premiership."
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:29 pm

Cracking little player who has never quite lived up to what I expected from him when he was young. Has great skill, creativity and passing ability, maybe being a little too small and lightweight has stopped him reaching the very very top. Would be a great addition and would solve a lot of our problems if we can keep him fit.

Only thing really lacking from his game is goals, he has never really scored enough.One of my favourite memories is when he destroyed Phil Neville.

I just hope if he does sign, Rafa doesn't take the easy way out and play him on the wing. Played in Kuyts position he could be a world beater linking with Torres.
account deleted by request

Postby Paul C » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:38 pm

He's the sort of player we lack since Garcia left, I always remember when he ripped us apart when we played Valencia in Amsterdam.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pedro Maradona » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:03 pm

def worth a gamble. id get rid of kuyt or/and Voronin to balance the books tho
Aimar is very light and injury prone but a quality player nonetheless. (also an ex River Plate player.......which isnt a good thing lol)
Pedro Maradona

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:11 pm

A real quality player - a much better version of Benayoun if you like, although I'd rather see us sign Diego.
LFC2007

Postby Number 9 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:51 pm

Not exactly sure he is what we need?
We need goalscorers,it does not matter where he plays Aimar does not score enough goals.
And please dont hit me with the he creates goals arguement...Creates goals for who?

We need another goalscorer in our team before anything else!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:01 am

His goal ratio is decent for a midfielder, he's not massively prolific because he's not a striker, but he's very creative nonetheless. Diego however, scores sh!t loads, creates sh!t loads and is only 22. He must be one of the most sought after players in Europe right now.
LFC2007

Postby Number 9 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:04 am

LFC2007 wrote:His goal ratio is decent for a midfielder, he's not prolific because he's not a striker, but he's very creative nonetheless. Diego however, scores sh!t loads, and creates sh!t loads. He must be one of the most sought after players in Europe right now.

Exactly why we dont need Aimar!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:34 am

The problem with Diego that he costs sh!t loads of money.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:17 pm

Yeah we need a prolific striker but we also need someone who can unlock a defence because we struggle against organised teams, we get to the last third and run out of ideas, we need someone like Aimar who plays similar to Joe Cole................ as well as a striker :;):
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:19 pm

Paul C wrote:Yeah we need a prolific striker but we also need someone who can unlock a defence because we struggle against organised teams, we get to the last third and run out of ideas, we need someone like Aimar who plays similar to Joe Cole................ as well as a striker :;):

Should NEVER have sold Garcia!

He was homesick though....I loved LG!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:00 pm

Fabulous player, who has every attribute we require from a creative midfielder.

The only question marks are over his ability to adapt to the Premiership.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby saetiakidLFC » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:58 pm

Looks good i guess, its looking like we're going to get him. The rumour has spreaded to youtube, wikipedia, sky, the papers. Normally means he's guna sign. Being chums with Rafa will help aswell.
saetiakidLFC

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:18 pm

Very intrigued that the Echo have kicked this talk off.

What an acquisition he'd be. Him and Torres linking up, with Gerrard bursting through from behind... would love to see it, that's for sure.
ivor_the_injun

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:03 am

If he does sign, I wonder where Rafa will play?  I think we should go for a more younger talent though.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill