Gazbaz - Looks like hes on his way...to City!!!

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Wed May 27, 2009 8:59 am

Rafa Benitez: Time to act fast on Liverpool FC squad

May 26 2009 by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

...Gareth Barry remains Benitez’s major target and with Aston Villa boss Martin O’Neill admitting he will not stand in the England man’s way should a top four club make an acceptable offer for him Liverpool’s move for the 28-year-old is likely to come sooner rather than later.

O’Neill is reported to be ready to offer Barry a lucrative new deal in a bid to keep his captain at Villa Park but with the midfielder keen to play Champions League football such overtures are likely to fall on deaf ears.

Meanwhile, the likelihood of Real Madrid making an offer for Xabi Alonso has increased after one of Florentino Perez’s main rivals to become president of the Spanish giants pulled out of the race.

Perez has made little secret of his desire to sign Alonso should he become president and Liverpool are now braced for a bid from Real.

Javier Mascherano is hoping his midfield partner will not be sold no matter how much Real offer, arguing Alonso is a key member of the team.

“Hopefully the great players in Liverpool can stay and we can bring in other players to improve the team,” he said.

“It’s important when you have the team in good form to keep the key players and Xabi is one of them.”
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed May 27, 2009 9:17 am

Please No Barry please please please .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed May 27, 2009 9:24 am

Barry and Babel in swap deal.

Benitez needs cash to fund a spending spree that could bring Carlos Tevez, David Silva and Gareth Barry to Merseyside.

Barry's future at Villa is again in doubt with the club's owner Randy Learner claiming the player would stay at Villa Park after discussions started over a new contract.

But Barry is known to want Champions League football, and Liverpool could sweeten a possible move by including Babel as bait. Villa still want £10million for Barry and a swap deal may suit all parties.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed May 27, 2009 9:34 am

Not sure how this artcle means he is on his way. There is another article around saying someone at Villa is confident he will sign a new contract. MON said many times before he won't stand in his way if they didnt secure CL football so thats nothing new either.
Last edited by tubby on Wed May 27, 2009 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Wed May 27, 2009 9:43 am

Ciggy wrote:Barry and Babel in swap deal.

Benitez needs cash to fund a spending spree that could bring Carlos Tevez, David Silva and Gareth Barry to Merseyside.

Barry's future at Villa is again in doubt with the club's owner Randy Learner claiming the player would stay at Villa Park after discussions started over a new contract.

But Barry is known to want Champions League football, and Liverpool could sweeten a possible move by including Babel as bait. Villa still want £10million for Barry and a swap deal may suit all parties.

I had never thought about that being an option but this makes sense. Babel will want to remain in England to prove he can play in the best league in the world and he fits the Martin O'Neill mould of pacey front players..

Yes please!
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby NANNY RED » Wed May 27, 2009 9:45 am

Ciggy wrote:Barry and Babel in swap deal.

I wouldnt mind that swap , Do you know what though i really cant understand Rafas fixation with Barry i know hes a good player but hes not one of these players who when you see you say to everyone fecking hell thatssome player that. But that swap Cigg will do for me ,
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed May 27, 2009 9:49 am

I think we're in danger of falling into the same trap the mancs did with Hargreaves, get obsessed with a player who is good, but not that good, and get well and truly screwed over the fee. Since when have villa been so reasonable in valuations that "acceptable" is likely to be anything realistic given he is in the last year of his contract?

I don't believe a word of what comes out of villa park, they all talk sh1 te. Barry for £18m was a rip off, now the chairman reckons he doesn't want to sell, Barry is offered a new contract and now they might accept "reasonable bids". Just keep him, I bet we could find as good, if not better, in Europe for a better price and younger.

A villa fan on the other forum reckons they need to step up on their immense season, or words to that effect. The problem villa will have next season is repeating their away form, so even if they sign some good players, and keep Barry, they may well need to improve their home form just to stay 10 points behind Arsenal. The bitters, spudz and Citeh will all be pushing them for fifth so they should focus on getting there first as much as hoping a 'big four' side stumbles enough like Arsenal did this season to make it look like villa were challenging them.

Bottom line is Arsenal had a disappointing season, many reckon villa had an excellent season and yet Arsenal finished 10 points ahead of villa (and nine ahead of the bitters)

Best Aston Villa Premiership Seasons

92/93 2nd with 74 points (42 games)
95/96 4th with 63 points (42 games)
96/97 5th with 61 points (38 games)
08/09 6th with 62 points (38 games)
99/00 6th with 58 points (38 games)
03/04 6th with 56 points (38 games)
98/99 6th with 55 points (38 games)

If villa want to finish 4th, here's what it has taken in recent seasons

Points For 4th Place

08/09 : 72 Arsenal
07/08 : 76 Liverpool
06/07 : 68 Arsenal
05/06 : 67 Arsenal
04/05 : 61 Everton (Arsenal were 3rd with 77)
03/04 : 60 Liverpool (Man Utd were 3rd with 75)
02/03 : 67 Chelsea
01/02 : 71 Newcastle
00/01 : 68 Leeds Utd

The only times it has ducked to the low 60s is when a team has had a poor season, like we did in 04/05, demonstrated by the points in brackets of the team in 3rd place. villa would have to make a few key changes, the likes of Luke Young, Heskey, Sidwell and a few of the other players are good but not Champions League quality. And I think they will struggle to repeat their 10 away wins of this season, only 19 teams in the Premiership have won more away games in a season and only 73 teams have managed less than their seven home wins in a Premiership season

More than 10 away wins : 19/346 = 5.49%
Less than 7 home wins : 73/346 = 21.10%

Bear in mind three teams get relegated each season (four in 94/95), so up to 52 of those 73 teams with less than 7 home wins in a Premiership season would have faced that fate.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrPepe » Wed May 27, 2009 10:23 am

Owzat wrote:I think we're in danger of falling into the same trap the mancs did with Hargreaves, get obsessed with a player who is good, but not that good, and get well and truly screwed over the fee. Since when have villa been so reasonable in valuations that "acceptable" is likely to be anything realistic given he is in the last year of his contract?

didn't we get 10m for crouch in his last year of contract?  :upside:

it all depends how desperate villa think we are

and we seem to be acting very desperate indeed  :Oo:
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Wed May 27, 2009 10:30 am

If we get barry then i will be as disappointed as i was last summer when we got keane - these players look decent for teams midtable or in the uefa cup bracket but not for teams at the top unless they are head and shoulders above everyone else like berbatov etc but not players like keane and barry - we need are sights higher
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrPepe » Wed May 27, 2009 10:31 am

GYBS wrote:If we get barry then i will be as disappointed as i was last summer when we got keane - these players look decent for teams midtable or in the uefa cup bracket but not for teams at the top unless they are head and shoulders above everyone else like berbatov etc but not players like keane and barry - we need are sights higher

if we keep alonso and supplement our squad with barry i will be very happy
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Wed May 27, 2009 10:34 am

If we add silva ,tevez and a right back as well then yes but if its barry and a right back then hell no - Silva first then a back up for torres then a right back and if money left over barry as a back up .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Wed May 27, 2009 10:38 am

Whether or not we sign Gaz Baz - for me the issue is who stays....

If we sign Barry and lose Alonso - thats a step backwards imo

If we sign Barry, keep alonso and lose Lucas - thats a step forwards imo.

Barry is a good player, but if we sign him to replace Alonso, i would be very unhappy.

According to BBC Sport, Lucas played in 39 games this season across all competitions (19 of those as sub). - What would be a step UP is that if we had Barry playing in those 39 games.

[I am not advocating that Lucas has done anything wrong, just that Barry is a better player than Lucas, and would strengthen our squad]
Last edited by Redman in wales on Wed May 27, 2009 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed May 27, 2009 10:45 am

Redman in wales wrote:Whether or not we sign Gaz Baz - for me the issue is who stays....

If we sign Barry and lose Alonso - thats a step backwards imo

If we sign Barry, keep alonso and lose Lucas - thats a step forwards imo.

Barry is a good player, but if we sign him to replace Alonso, i would be very unhappy.

According to BBC Sport, Lucas played in 39 games this season across all competitions (19 of those as sub). - What would be a step UP is that if we had Barry playing in those 39 games.

[I am not advocating that Lucas has done anything wrong, just that Barry is a better player than Lucas, and would strengthen our squad]

Well who says it would be only Barry that came in for Xabi? Rafa isn't thinking of selling Xabi to finance a move for Garth Barry only he is looking at other players too. It could be Barry or Teves or Barry and Silva.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed May 27, 2009 11:19 am

Barry offered new Villa contract
Gareth Barry
Barry has been at Villa since 1997

Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner says he is "optimistic" midfielder Gareth Barry will stay at the club after offering the England international a new deal.

Barry, 28, almost joined Liverpool last summer but the deal collapsed after the Reds failed to meet his £18m price tag.

"We have discussed a new deal with Gareth," Lerner told BBC Sport. "He's a gentleman, a great player and captain."

Lerner has also told Villa boss Martin O'Neill that he has money to spend in the transfer market this summer.

O'Neill spent around £50m on new players last summer and although Lerner refused to put a figure on how much was available this time, the American admitted substantial funds would once more be available.

"Will £50m be available again this summer? I don't know," he said.

"Sitting here now if I was to come out and say 'yes' I would put the club at some disadvantage in terms of pricing.

I am confident of keeping Martin long term even if a big job came up

Lerner on O'Neill

"Will there be funds for players this summer? Yes. Like any club we are conscious of having money available for the summer.

"We are also conscious of managing the players leaving and trying to generate funds from that. It is a balancing act but, yes, there will be funds.

"Will the credit crunch impact on funds available this summer? I don't really view the credit crunch as a big issue in terms of the funding for the summer."

Last summer there was huge speculation that Barry, who had stated his desire to join Liverpool, was set to sign for Rafa Benitez's side.

606: DEBATE
Do Villa need Barry?

But after Liverpool failed to match Villa's asking fee, which resulted in Benitez criticising Reds co-owner Tom Hicks, Barry changed his mind, to the delight of Lerner.

"I don't think anyone could do better than Gareth on any level," said the Villa owner, who gave a rare interview to BBC Radio 5 Live's Brian Alexander and other journalists.

"Am I optimistic Gareth will stay? Yes, I am optimistic. It is my nature.

"He is currently speaking to Martin and that is the natural process. They will get into it and it will all get handled in the normal ways."

Lerner added that he was willing to run down the midfielder's current deal, which has 12 months left, if Barry does not sign a new contract.

You are talking about a player who is an integral part of your potential success

Lerner on Barry

That would mean Barry could leave at the end of next season without Villa receiving a transfer fee.

"Am I happy for him to wind down his current contract? That's his decision. If it means he is staying another year, I am absolutely happy," said Lerner.

"Even though Villa would lose £10 to £12m? Yes, absolutely. You are talking about a player who is an integral part of your potential success.

"That is in terms of playing more games, to winning competitions etc. That is similarly lucrative to a transfer fee this summer when you think about what you can achieve with a player like that.

"It is not like you forego the proceeds and you are getting nothing back."

The American, who took control of Villa in 2006, said he was also sure that manager O'Neill would remain at the Birmingham club for the foreseeable future, even though he continues to operate on a 12-month rolling contract.

"I am confident of keeping Martin long term even if a big job came up," he said.

"I think Martin has bought into the club. I think he has emotionally invested. He has bought into me and my ambitions to some extent."

Good news IMO - sign it barry
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RobinHood6969 » Wed May 27, 2009 11:22 am

GYBS wrote:Barry offered new Villa contract
Gareth Barry
Barry has been at Villa since 1997

Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner says he is "optimistic" midfielder Gareth Barry will stay at the club after offering the England international a new deal.

Barry, 28, almost joined Liverpool last summer but the deal collapsed after the Reds failed to meet his £18m price tag.

"We have discussed a new deal with Gareth," Lerner told BBC Sport. "He's a gentleman, a great player and captain."

Lerner has also told Villa boss Martin O'Neill that he has money to spend in the transfer market this summer.

O'Neill spent around £50m on new players last summer and although Lerner refused to put a figure on how much was available this time, the American admitted substantial funds would once more be available.

"Will £50m be available again this summer? I don't know," he said.

"Sitting here now if I was to come out and say 'yes' I would put the club at some disadvantage in terms of pricing.

I am confident of keeping Martin long term even if a big job came up

Lerner on O'Neill

"Will there be funds for players this summer? Yes. Like any club we are conscious of having money available for the summer.

"We are also conscious of managing the players leaving and trying to generate funds from that. It is a balancing act but, yes, there will be funds.

"Will the credit crunch impact on funds available this summer? I don't really view the credit crunch as a big issue in terms of the funding for the summer."

Last summer there was huge speculation that Barry, who had stated his desire to join Liverpool, was set to sign for Rafa Benitez's side.

606: DEBATE
Do Villa need Barry?

But after Liverpool failed to match Villa's asking fee, which resulted in Benitez criticising Reds co-owner Tom Hicks, Barry changed his mind, to the delight of Lerner.

"I don't think anyone could do better than Gareth on any level," said the Villa owner, who gave a rare interview to BBC Radio 5 Live's Brian Alexander and other journalists.

"Am I optimistic Gareth will stay? Yes, I am optimistic. It is my nature.

"He is currently speaking to Martin and that is the natural process. They will get into it and it will all get handled in the normal ways."

Lerner added that he was willing to run down the midfielder's current deal, which has 12 months left, if Barry does not sign a new contract.

You are talking about a player who is an integral part of your potential success

Lerner on Barry

That would mean Barry could leave at the end of next season without Villa receiving a transfer fee.

"Am I happy for him to wind down his current contract? That's his decision. If it means he is staying another year, I am absolutely happy," said Lerner.

"Even though Villa would lose £10 to £12m? Yes, absolutely. You are talking about a player who is an integral part of your potential success.

"That is in terms of playing more games, to winning competitions etc. That is similarly lucrative to a transfer fee this summer when you think about what you can achieve with a player like that.

"It is not like you forego the proceeds and you are getting nothing back."

The American, who took control of Villa in 2006, said he was also sure that manager O'Neill would remain at the Birmingham club for the foreseeable future, even though he continues to operate on a 12-month rolling contract.

"I am confident of keeping Martin long term even if a big job came up," he said.

"I think Martin has bought into the club. I think he has emotionally invested. He has bought into me and my ambitions to some extent."

Good news IMO - sign it barry

Na i want barry on bench.. we need the depth if we gotta fight for a treble and last the season
RobinHood6969

Next

Return to Premiership - General Discussion