Gazbaz - Looks like hes on his way...to City!!!

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Wed May 27, 2009 11:26 am

DrPepe wrote:
Owzat wrote:I think we're in danger of falling into the same trap the mancs did with Hargreaves, get obsessed with a player who is good, but not that good, and get well and truly screwed over the fee. Since when have villa been so reasonable in valuations that "acceptable" is likely to be anything realistic given he is in the last year of his contract?

didn't we get 10m for crouch in his last year of contract?  :upside:

it all depends how desperate villa think we are

and we seem to be acting very desperate indeed  :Oo:

More fool Pompey. I think Crouch was a more valuable asset in the sense he was a striker and a bit younger at the time, but anyone who's been on here more than five minutes knows I think Crouch has never been worth more than £7m anyway. So what if pompey were stupid enough to sign Crouch for that sum, just as stupid as Hargreaves for £17m or Barry for £18m

Aren't pompey now in financial strife? No wonder if they pay over the odds for players. 11 league goals in 32 apps (I think it is this season) is worth £11m - don't make me laugh. Stick to moaning about Keane being subbed in a Liverpool shirt  :;):
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed May 27, 2009 11:29 am

Come on Gareth sign that new deal.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed May 27, 2009 11:31 am

RobinHood6969 wrote:
GYBS wrote:Barry offered new Villa contract
Gareth Barry
Barry has been at Villa since 1997

Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner says he is "optimistic" midfielder Gareth Barry will stay at the club after offering the England international a new deal.

Barry, 28, almost joined Liverpool last summer but the deal collapsed after the Reds failed to meet his £18m price tag.

"We have discussed a new deal with Gareth," Lerner told BBC Sport. "He's a gentleman, a great player and captain."

Lerner has also told Villa boss Martin O'Neill that he has money to spend in the transfer market this summer.

O'Neill spent around £50m on new players last summer and although Lerner refused to put a figure on how much was available this time, the American admitted substantial funds would once more be available.

"Will £50m be available again this summer? I don't know," he said.

"Sitting here now if I was to come out and say 'yes' I would put the club at some disadvantage in terms of pricing.

I am confident of keeping Martin long term even if a big job came up

Lerner on O'Neill

"Will there be funds for players this summer? Yes. Like any club we are conscious of having money available for the summer.

"We are also conscious of managing the players leaving and trying to generate funds from that. It is a balancing act but, yes, there will be funds.

"Will the credit crunch impact on funds available this summer? I don't really view the credit crunch as a big issue in terms of the funding for the summer."

Last summer there was huge speculation that Barry, who had stated his desire to join Liverpool, was set to sign for Rafa Benitez's side.

606: DEBATE
Do Villa need Barry?

But after Liverpool failed to match Villa's asking fee, which resulted in Benitez criticising Reds co-owner Tom Hicks, Barry changed his mind, to the delight of Lerner.

"I don't think anyone could do better than Gareth on any level," said the Villa owner, who gave a rare interview to BBC Radio 5 Live's Brian Alexander and other journalists.

"Am I optimistic Gareth will stay? Yes, I am optimistic. It is my nature.

"He is currently speaking to Martin and that is the natural process. They will get into it and it will all get handled in the normal ways."

Lerner added that he was willing to run down the midfielder's current deal, which has 12 months left, if Barry does not sign a new contract.

You are talking about a player who is an integral part of your potential success

Lerner on Barry

That would mean Barry could leave at the end of next season without Villa receiving a transfer fee.

"Am I happy for him to wind down his current contract? That's his decision. If it means he is staying another year, I am absolutely happy," said Lerner.

"Even though Villa would lose £10 to £12m? Yes, absolutely. You are talking about a player who is an integral part of your potential success.

"That is in terms of playing more games, to winning competitions etc. That is similarly lucrative to a transfer fee this summer when you think about what you can achieve with a player like that.

"It is not like you forego the proceeds and you are getting nothing back."

The American, who took control of Villa in 2006, said he was also sure that manager O'Neill would remain at the Birmingham club for the foreseeable future, even though he continues to operate on a 12-month rolling contract.

"I am confident of keeping Martin long term even if a big job came up," he said.

"I think Martin has bought into the club. I think he has emotionally invested. He has bought into me and my ambitions to some extent."

Good news IMO - sign it barry

Na i want barry on bench.. we need the depth if we gotta fight for a treble and last the season

we need depth for the guys up front and wide not cm
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed May 27, 2009 11:33 am

RobinHood6969 wrote:Na i want barry on bench.. we need the depth if we gotta fight for a treble and last the season

Yeah right, he might move for Champions League football but he might as well play Europy leek football as sit on the bench in Champions League matches.

I'm not sure how exactly he is supposed to fit in the side anyway. I really think playing him on the left side is a bad move, not enough goals from open play and I think it would be misusing him. So where else? Behind Torres instead of Gerrard - don't make me laugh. In place of Alonso? I think most on here agree that would be a bad move and lose our best passer of the ball. So that leaves Mascherano if you rule out Kuyt for the same reason as on the left AND him being a lefty. I can see that being an advantage going forward, but the same problems England have when trying to accomodate all or two of Lampard, Gerrard and Barry in the team would crop up. That is all want to occupy the same positions, none are that keen to be the defensive midfielder and the midfield gets congested.

I think we need a much more creative midfielder than Barry will ever be, a poor man's Gerrard we don't really need even if it is as back up which I doubt he'd go for. He may want to play for Liverpool, but does he really think he'll command a regular place unless one of Gerrard, Alonso or Mascherano goes!?!?!? If I was Barry's agent I'd be telling him to stay put unless guaranteed a starting place - or insist on a get out clause based on starts
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrPepe » Wed May 27, 2009 11:39 am

Owzat wrote:
DrPepe wrote:
Owzat wrote:I think we're in danger of falling into the same trap the mancs did with Hargreaves, get obsessed with a player who is good, but not that good, and get well and truly screwed over the fee. Since when have villa been so reasonable in valuations that "acceptable" is likely to be anything realistic given he is in the last year of his contract?

didn't we get 10m for crouch in his last year of contract?  :upside:

it all depends how desperate villa think we are

and we seem to be acting very desperate indeed  :Oo:

More fool Pompey. I think Crouch was a more valuable asset in the sense he was a striker and a bit younger at the time, but anyone who's been on here more than five minutes knows I think Crouch has never been worth more than £7m anyway. So what if pompey were stupid enough to sign Crouch for that sum, just as stupid as Hargreaves for £17m or Barry for £18m

Aren't pompey now in financial strife? No wonder if they pay over the odds for players. 11 league goals in 32 apps (I think it is this season) is worth £11m - don't make me laugh. Stick to moaning about Keane being subbed in a Liverpool shirt  :;):

tbf i think you're full of it a bit, owzat!- what has your 7m valuation got to do with anything ?  :laugh:  Crouch scored a lot of goals for them (relative to the teams status) which probably kept them in the premier league, so it's easy to argue that he was good value at 10m

Comparisons with Barry are not that far off - barry is also a player "in the prime of life" , an england international , similar contract period

If we want to rip out the heart of their team, you can bet your :censored: Villa will want to twist us for every penny they can
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby Dissident » Wed May 27, 2009 11:50 am

I agree with Redman. Barry will never fill Xabi's boots. To replace Xabi with Barry isn't even a zero sum game because Xabi is a country mile better. I don't know what's happening with Xabi. I read that his agent said Alonso was unhappy at Anfield. How can this be? Xabi has just played probably his best season at Anfield and surely knows that Rafa views him as an instrumental part of our progress this season. If Lucas goes and Xabi stays then Barry will suffice as back up.
"The ends you serve that are selfish will take you no further than yourself, but the  ends you serve that are for all in common will take you even into eternity" - Marcus Garvey
Dissident

Postby Fauxy » Wed May 27, 2009 11:58 am

Barry is better than Lucas therefore if we bought him and kept Alonso our squad would be strengthened.

What worries me though is that Barry might not join us because he knows he will have to be on the bench quite a lot and maybe we should be focusing on the starting line up rather than improving our bench?
Fauxy

Postby tonyeh » Wed May 27, 2009 12:03 pm

NANNY RED wrote:
Ciggy wrote:Barry and Babel in swap deal.

Benitez needs cash to fund a spending spree that could bring Carlos Tevez, David Silva and Gareth Barry to Merseyside.

Barry's future at Villa is again in doubt with the club's owner Randy Learner claiming the player would stay at Villa Park after discussions started over a new contract.

But Barry is known to want Champions League football, and Liverpool could sweeten a possible move by including Babel as bait. Villa still want £10million for Barry and a swap deal may suit all parties.

I wouldnt mind that swap , Do you know what though i really cant understand Rafas fixation with Barry i know hes a good player but hes not one of these players who when you see you say to everyone fecking hell thatssome player that. But that swap Cigg will do for me ,

I agree Nana..........I just don't get it either.

He's never been a player to catch my eye and he certainly was nothing special this season that's for sure.

Still, benitez obviously sees something in him.
tonyeh

Postby Dissident » Wed May 27, 2009 12:14 pm

tonyeh wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:
Ciggy wrote:Barry and Babel in swap deal.

Benitez needs cash to fund a spending spree that could bring Carlos Tevez, David Silva and Gareth Barry to Merseyside.

Barry's future at Villa is again in doubt with the club's owner Randy Learner claiming the player would stay at Villa Park after discussions started over a new contract.

But Barry is known to want Champions League football, and Liverpool could sweeten a possible move by including Babel as bait. Villa still want £10million for Barry and a swap deal may suit all parties.

I wouldnt mind that swap , Do you know what though i really cant understand Rafas fixation with Barry i know hes a good player but hes not one of these players who when you see you say to everyone fecking hell thatssome player that. But that swap Cigg will do for me ,

I agree Nana..........I just don't get it either.

He's never been a player to catch my eye and he certainly was nothing special this season that's for sure.

Still, benitez obviously sees something in him.

Hmm Benitez saw something in Dossena, Degen and Babel and they've all been a waste of money. I'm not saying that Barry would be but there are surely better players out there.
"The ends you serve that are selfish will take you no further than yourself, but the  ends you serve that are for all in common will take you even into eternity" - Marcus Garvey
Dissident

Postby Zidane » Wed May 27, 2009 10:19 pm

When I really really think about it, if Barry is brought in at the cost of Babel and no one else it is a HUGE upgrade.  If we go overspending or try too hard to get him it is a mistake.  More than likely I can see him playing LM/CM when Xabi or Masch need a rest.  Which is good, we need quality throughout the entire squad if we want to challenge on ALL fronts which is what we should be doing and Barry is overall a quality player.  Nothing special but as a squad player if his head is in the right place then he will be a great addition to the team.

If it's not and we overpay for him oh boy, last thing we need is another Keane saga.
Zidane

Postby matt1974 » Wed May 27, 2009 11:36 pm

Redman in wales wrote:Whether or not we sign Gaz Baz - for me the issue is who stays....

If we sign Barry and lose Alonso - thats a step backwards imo

If we sign Barry, keep alonso and lose Lucas - thats a step forwards imo.

I'd go along with that. I'd see Barry as someone to cover Mascarano for when injury or suspension kicks in.
matt1974

Postby Octsky » Thu May 28, 2009 4:03 am

well barry is 29 same as gerrard. they can play left mid or left back. play well in central mid with villa and england. so he is more than a back up.
i would love to see he played left back or left mid, rock steady, float nice crosses in and has a sting in his shot. if he can maintain his body, he can play well into his mid thirties.
10 mil for him, provided we keep alonso, why not? beside he is english.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby Number 9 » Thu May 28, 2009 7:21 am

If we can keep Alonso next season and get Babel out as part of the deal!!YES PLEASE!!
Id take Barry in an instant if its not at the loss of Xabi!!
How many games did Lucas take part in this season?...Id rather have Barry coming off the bench.If we can get a few quid for Lucas! :D and put that ££ to Babel and Villa accept,its great business!!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:54 pm

Man City Talks

Interesting, I was under the impression he wanted a move to play CL football, not buy a bigger house
burjennio

Postby Greavesie » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:21 pm

burjennio wrote:Man City Talks

Interesting, I was under the impression he wanted a move to play CL football, not buy a bigger house

exactly my thought, wft is with this guy  :no
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion