Clubs consider quota system - Discussions begin over limit on homegrow

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby loopyliverpool » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:06 pm

I used to love the League in the 70's and 80's when most team's comprised of British players. It was just as entertaining then as it is now and we won more! The Premiership is a global brand now, the money aint going nowhere and if by some weird set of circumstances it does- then good riddance cos it will certainly bring about more home grown talent, which is what Im obviously failing to advocate!
loopyliverpool

Postby GYBS » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:13 pm

Gerrard was a special talent from the word go - thathas been quoted by everyone the guy has just got better through the coaching of a couple of foreign managers and playing alongside top quality foriegn players - he himself has quoted that in his book .

Yes man utd did that in the 90s cause they had a bloody good bunch of kids - but there was also some very special foriegn players as well included . we also had a good bunch of kids but what happened with ours ?

And there is no point saying British because their isnt a British country nor a British FA - if there is a foriegn quota then Scottish welsh irish etc would be classed as foriegn .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:13 pm

loopyliverpool wrote:I used to love the League in the 70's and 80's when most team's comprised of British players. It was just as entertaining then as it is now and we won more! The Premiership is a global brand now, the money aint going nowhere and if by some weird set of circumstances it does- then good riddance cos it will certainly bring about more home grown talent, which is what Im obviously failing to advocate!

Even if it is temporary the recession IS going to hit Premier League clubs, if not already.

Clubs will start having to re-evaluate spending against income. With attendances forecast to drop, the effects of reduced income from ticket sales and subsequent merchandise sales will have a big impact on clubs. Even the "top four" clubs will start to think twice about splashing the cash, Liverpool especially.

Some of you on here are making out the quote to be 4 foreigner in the starting eleven - this is blatant exaggeration at best, lies at worst. The quota is looking to enforce a similar policy being used in the champions league where a 15 man squad HAS to include a minimum number of English players. I think the number touted is 5.

I would far prefer the bench to be full of youth team members or proven English premiership performers than the current situation of average foreigners we have paid an arm and a leg for.
Last edited by SouthCoastShankly on Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:16 pm

I got a feelig if there is a quota ntroduced then it will be the same as the CL one where a certain amount of people in your squad needs to be homegrown etc .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby loopyliverpool » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:20 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:
loopyliverpool wrote:I used to love the League in the 70's and 80's when most team's comprised of British players. It was just as entertaining then as it is now and we won more! The Premiership is a global brand now, the money aint going nowhere and if by some weird set of circumstances it does- then good riddance cos it will certainly bring about more home grown talent, which is what Im obviously failing to advocate!

Even if it is temporary the recession IS going to hit Premier League clubs, if not already.

Clubs will start having to re-evaluate spending against income. With attendances forecast to drop, the effects of reduced income from ticket sales and subsequent merchandise sales will have a big impact on clubs. Even the "top four" clubs will start to think twice about splashing the cash, Liverpool especially.

Some of you on here are making out the quote to be 4 foreigner in the starting eleven - this is blatant exaggeration at best, lies at worst. The quota is looking to enforce a similar policy being used in the champions league where a 15 man squad HAS to include a minimum number of English players. I think the number touted is 5.

I would far prefer the bench to be full of youth team members or proven English premiership performers than the current situation of average foreigners we have paid an arm and a leg for.

We are all hypothesising! Whatever the quota system, I would support it.
loopyliverpool

Postby NANNY RED » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:12 pm

I read asimilar article in the Liverpool daily Post anwas the last bit of of it

PARRY has ruled himself out of the FA chief executive’s job. He said: “I’m not in the frame. Liverpool’s the job for me.”

:(  :(
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:40 am

That is a shame Nanny .

And loopey - if a quota does come in it will be minimal at the most and wont effect the overall make up of first teams - the top clubs wont sign to anything that means they loose their best players who are all mainly foreign.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:50 pm

i understnad the quota thing, but doesnt that undermine a persons right to work where ever they want !!
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:54 pm

Yep spot on judge hence why i cant see it being too drastic at all .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:20 pm

THe only quota English football has to decrease is the quota of mediocre players.

It won't do no harm to any scouser to train alongside the likes of Reina, or Alonso, or Torres as in the country there's not much of that quality.

But Newcastle bringing Jose Enrique? that's the kind of footballer you can't afford to sign up, and, for that matter, I'd include Arbeloa on that category.

Arbeloa has done a decent spell in Liverpool, yes he has, but you could have found an English player that if given the same chances, he would have done the same job if not better (I'm thinking for instance of a Warnock).

The quota should not be a matter of numbers of players, but a quota of skill. Average-goodish players are only closing doors to local players. But it also must be said that real quality players are good to have around so that the locals learn a couple of things.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:54 pm

Judge wrote:i understnad the quota thing, but doesnt that undermine a persons right to work where ever they want !!

British job for British workers? how many of you have heard that over the last few weeks, And i bet you all said it was a good thing, yet if you feel that then you must also feel the same about football clubs. you can not have one rule for one and another rule for the rest.

Yes it is a problem that needs to be overcome if this quota system is to work but the way football id going i can still see it going ahead.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:56 pm

English players are already over priced. A rule like this would only increase their value.  Doesn't seem fair that just because a footballer is born in a poor country his value is highest at clubs in the poor country and as such he can only make such a salary.
JoeTerp

Postby GYBS » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:59 pm

lakes10 wrote:
Judge wrote:i understnad the quota thing, but doesnt that undermine a persons right to work where ever they want !!

British job for British workers? how many of you have heard that over the last few weeks, And i bet you all said it was a good thing, yet if you feel that then you must also feel the same about football clubs. you can not have one rule for one and another rule for the rest.

Yes it is a problem that needs to be overcome if this quota system is to work but the way football id going i can still see it going ahead.

you cant compare the normal work force with the world of football - if this quota did come in it would take us back years like when the cl was first about and you couold only have 3 foriegn players - the big clubs wont go for it end of the day and if it is forced on them - then thats the start of the european superleague right there .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:06 pm

GYBS wrote:
lakes10 wrote:

you cant compare the normal work force with the world of football - if this quota did come in it would take us back years like when the cl was first about and you couold only have 3 foriegn players - the big clubs wont go for it end of the day and if it is forced on them - then thats the start of the european superleague right there .

it was stated years ago that if a european superleague was to happen any player that was in it wouldnever play in a World cup again, i wonder if they would still stand by that now.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:08 pm

lakes10 wrote:
GYBS wrote:
lakes10 wrote:

it was stated years ago that if a european superleague was to happen any player that was in it wouldnever play in a World cup again, i wonder if they would still stand by that now.

They would be hard pressed to force that rule , what right could they do that rule ? - no world cup would go ahead without the bets players in the world playing it .

Do you really see the likes on Man Utd Chelsea Liverpool Arsenal etc agreeing to only being allowed 4 ish foriegn players in their team ? not in a million years
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion