Chelsea is the sky limit? - What about united and arsenal?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby joko » Tue May 16, 2006 1:10 pm

It's pretty fair to see Chelsea as the number one enemy and the highest barrier in our effort to finish top next season. But it's also bit naive to disregard Arsenal (read: this year's champion league finalist) and united (EPL 2nd spot) with their chances to make real threats throughout the next exhausting season.

Arsenal have been looking like a clawless beast since vieira departure and was started to be "disvalued" from the battlefield. While, united have always surprised us with their diehardness every season. I began to think that they had been finished since 3 seasons back when Arsenal untouchably took over the english football domination

Please share your thoughts on this.
ImageImage Image
joko
LFC Super Member

Postby red37 » Tue May 16, 2006 1:29 pm

this current team are capable (proven) of defeating chelsea...they are most certainly capable of beating any of the other 18 sides in the league, including arsenal and man.utd.  not every time, but they have proved they can..

with a few extra (quality) acquisitions over the summer, we all know the weaker areas...the existing challenge can only improve. the players we do sign, IMO do not have to be the likes of ballack, shevchenko etc...
rafa will turn a silk ear out of a large majority of his signings, in that respect MAKING them big names. of that there is little worry.
yeah, chelsea will set the standard, in terms of who they can sign. but liverpool and the rest can only play catch-up in the hope that the champions slip up.. we can beat them arsenal and united can, so have one or two unexpected sides...but more to the point of worrying about these 'superstars' should be optimism in the knowledge that ours is a team that will be created with chelsea's downfall in mind...that task wont fall to a better man than rafa benitez in my book.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby AussieKopite » Tue May 16, 2006 2:22 pm

joko wrote:Arsenal have been looking like a clawless beast since vieira departure and was started to be "disvalued" from the battlefield. While, united have always surprised us with their diehardness every season. I began to think that they had been finished since 3 seasons back when Arsenal untouchably took over the english football domination

Please share your thoughts on this.

I feel that Arsenal have beena bit distracted and hamstrung financially with Ashburton Grove being built. I think now they have a new stadium, they will be a major threat. Having said that, the Queensland Reds (Rugby Union) & the Brisbane Broncos (Rugby League) have moved in the last couple of years to Suncorp Stadium (old Lang Park) and haven't really majorly improved.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue May 16, 2006 10:19 pm

united need a big overhaul in midfield and with van nistelrooy looking like he`s put the united shirt on for the last time they`ll probably need a centre forward too.
its a tricky time for united, even when you think your buying proven quality there`s no guarentee that a player will take his form with him to the next club, change of enviroment and all that. unlike us, arsenal and chelsea who have all won things or reached big finals at the end of the season united lack momentum as a club.
with chelsea they are buying big names but that brings its own pressure, for one ballack, and shevchenko if they do get him, have never played in english football and there`s no guarentee they will be a success and even if they eventually are it still takes players a few months to get settled.
and if they do start to struggle the press who`s love affair with mourinho has well and truly ended wont be backward in being forward in reminding jose that he`s possibly bought a dud. mourinho`s already had enough of our press.
arsenals good run in europe has masked the fact that in the prem the likes of fabregas and flamini whilst talented players cant cope with the boltons and evertons of the league and unless they buy a bit of steel in the middle i wouldnt be surprised if most of the league decided to get physical with arsenal. they`ve lost something like 9 games away in the league alone!

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue May 16, 2006 10:46 pm

Sh*tski are always going to be the major stumbling block between us and the Premiership title. Any team with such stupid amounts of money at their disposal, together with the most arrogant manager in history, will always be the team to beat.

Man Utd need HEAVY investment in their midfield and one top-drawer striker now that Horse-boy is on his way, if they are to be anything other than also-rans. For my money, they need to buy 3 first-team midfielders who all gel with the team immediately to have any chance of challenging ourselves and Sh*tski. Scholes and Giggs are nearing the end of their Scum careers, and cannot go on forever.

Arsenal are the dark horses for me. The so obviously need a Sissoko-type player in midfield, a top CB, and a new 'keeper if they seriously want to entertain thoughts of the league, but these positions are reasonably easy for Wrinkle-boy to fill. Lehmann has had a good run in the Champions League, but he hasn't even been in the top 10 'keepers in the Premiership, IMHO. The fact of the matter is, Wenger could dip into any team in France for a 'keeper to solve all of his problems.

Liverpool FC. For my money, we are the most likely to topple Sh*tski next season. We have shown tremendous consistancy this season compared all of our previous campaigns in the Premiership. Our defence is the best unit in Europe, we have one of the best Goalkeepers, our central midfield is he envy of every team in the World, and our manager IS the best.
The only reason we didn't win the Premiership this season is because our strikeforce let us down for about 3 months of it. As has been said, had the season started in October, we would have been Champions. It didn't, and we aren't.

IMHO, the squad we have now is the best we've had for nearly two decades. With the additions of a classy right-winger (not necessarily World-class), 1 top-drawer striker, 1 good striker and a decent leftback, we will be ready to reclaim our rightful status as Champions of England, no matter WHO Sh*tski or the others sign. Don't forget we also have Mark Gonzalez on his way, who could quite possibly turn out to be the best Left winger in the Premiership once he settles.
The fact of the matter is Rafa has probably already sewn-up 3 of those deals, and is just waiting for the transfer window to open (June 1st).

I don't have any sources, as this is only my opinion, but I wholeheartedly believe that we are about to witness our team take Europe by storm without selling our souls to the Devil.

Rafa is a pure footballing genius.
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Tue May 16, 2006 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Tue May 16, 2006 10:47 pm

Screw the existing powers! FIGHT THE POWER! :D
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Liverpool 4 EVA » Wed May 17, 2006 1:48 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:Sh*tski are always going to be the major stumbling block between us and the Premiership title. Any team with such stupid amounts of money at their disposal, together with the most arrogant manager in history, will always be the team to beat.

Man Utd need HEAVY investment in their midfield and one top-drawer striker now that Horse-boy is on his way, if they are to be anything other than also-rans. For my money, they need to buy 3 first-team midfielders who all gel with the team immediately to have any chance of challenging ourselves and Sh*tski. Scholes and Giggs are nearing the end of their Scum careers, and cannot go on forever.

Arsenal are the dark horses for me. The so obviously need a Sissoko-type player in midfield, a top CB, and a new 'keeper if they seriously want to entertain thoughts of the league, but these positions are reasonably easy for Wrinkle-boy to fill. Lehmann has had a good run in the Champions League, but he hasn't even been in the top 10 'keepers in the Premiership, IMHO. The fact of the matter is, Wenger could dip into any team in France for a 'keeper to solve all of his problems.

Liverpool FC. For my money, we are the most likely to topple Sh*tski next season. We have shown tremendous consistancy this season compared all of our previous campaigns in the Premiership. Our defence is the best unit in Europe, we have one of the best Goalkeepers, our central midfield is he envy of every team in the World, and our manager IS the best.
The only reason we didn't win the Premiership this season is because our strikeforce let us down for about 3 months of it. As has been said, had the season started in October, we would have been Champions. It didn't, and we aren't.

IMHO, the squad we have now is the best we've had for nearly two decades. With the additions of a classy right-winger (not necessarily World-class), 1 top-drawer striker, 1 good striker and a decent leftback, we will be ready to reclaim our rightful status as Champions of England, no matter WHO Sh*tski or the others sign. Don't forget we also have Mark Gonzalez on his way, who could quite possibly turn out to be the best Left winger in the Premiership once he settles.
The fact of the matter is Rafa has probably already sewn-up 3 of those deals, and is just waiting for the transfer window to open (June 1st).

I don't have any sources, as this is only my opinion, but I wholeheartedly believe that we are about to witness our team take Europe by storm without selling our souls to the Devil.

Lando, that is a great post lad :)
Drummerphil - our thoughts are with you
Liverpool 4 EVA
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed May 17, 2006 6:48 pm

With reference to Chelsea and their achievements in relation to ours, I love these remarks by Benitez in yesterday's Echo:

While Liverpool's manager and players spoke in determined fashion about the Premiership title being next on their hitlist, others were revealing their intention to sign Michael Ballack and Andrei Shevchenko.

Benitez can only dream of recruiting such high profile names, but rather than become demoralised by the way his rivals pluck the ripest fruits from football's grapevine, the Reds boss says his club has already shown strategic transfers are as important as record-breaking ones.

In fact, Benitez argues those clubs who achieve success in an era which, logically, ought to be dominated by the biggest spenders in world football are justifiably given more credit for their achievement.

"I hear some people say they never get the credit they deserve when they win trophies, but there are some achievements which are more valuable than others," said Benitez.

"I congratulate teams like Wigan and West Ham who have done very well with no money to spend, and I think there is more value in our success in the last two years because we've done it without being able to go out and buy the most expensive players in the world. That's harder."

-----
Hmmm, who could Rafa be referring to above?  :laugh:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby AussieKopite » Fri May 19, 2006 8:56 am

Bad Bob wrote:Hmmm, who could Rafa be referring to above?  :laugh:

Can I have 3 guesses?  :D
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri May 19, 2006 6:25 pm

AussieKopite wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:Hmmm, who could Rafa be referring to above?  :laugh:

Can I have 3 guesses?  :D

Think you'll need 'em mate?  :D  :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Scottbot » Fri May 19, 2006 7:35 pm

Next season's title race has all the makings of a classic. It could and should be a genuine 4 horse race. Of course Chelsea are the STRONG favourites but it really could go to any of the top four.

Chelsea - Their biggest strength for me is their ability to grind out wins against the smaller teams in the league no matter how poorly they are playing. When Chelsea are up against the likes of Villa, Charlton or Sunderland you simply know they are going to win. If someone else is gonna be champ then we need some of the smaller teams to grow some balls and the
belief that they can give Chelsea a game. Of course the fact they have just added Ballack to an already impressive midfield and are now talking about the likes of Shevchenko means they have by far the deepest squad in world football. Also, they have a fantastic manager, tremendous team spirit and mental strength. It will take something special to knock them off their perch.

Arsenal - It's gonna be an interesting season for Arsenal. Henry staying is as big for them as Stevie agreeing to stay on last summer. They will miss the leadership/influence of Bergkamp and much depends on how quickly they can turn the Emirates stadium into 'home'. Highbury wasn't called the 'library' for nothing so if they can get off to a good start i fully expect them to be challenging for the title again this time around. I've been very impressed with the kids who carried them so far in Europe. Eboue looks 1st class, Toure and Senderos are really developing and Diaby, Adebayor and Walcott look like they have great potential. Arsenal got bullied about last season and i wonder if Wenger will bring in someone to provide a bit of leadership & English true grit for those tough away days to the likes of Bolton. Maybe someone in the Kevin Nolan mould or perhaps semeone big and strong to play up front.

United - Tough to see which way United will go. losing Horse will be a big loss and i expect it to cost them (by the way i would love it if we signed him) They now rely on Rooney as much as England do and should he struggle to some back from this injury their season could go up in smoke before it has even started. They will welcome back Scholes and Heinze who were massive losses last year but i think everyone would agree that it all depends on the 2 midfield players Fergie brings in this summer. I expect them to go for a big name like Gattuso or Diarra and then someone like Steven Davis (an excellent prospect) from Villa. If Fergie gets that right then you would have to expect them to be there or thereabouts come the end of the season. with Fergie's track record you'd be stupid not to.

As for us, i don't think we're far away. I'm very encouraged with the way we brushed aside some of the smaller teams (a'la Chelsea) last season but it's pretty obvious Rafa needs to improve his league record against our rivals. Just two Anfield wins against Arsenal and a couple of draws with united over two seasons is way short of title form and will have to change if that Premiership trophy is to end up at Anfield this time next year. Much depends on how Rafa moves in the transfer market in the summer. I would like to see someone like Pennant come in to spell Gerrard on the right and then I would like to see us spend the rest of the available money on a quality player up-front. Must admit I have watched a bit of David Villa over the last couple of months and he looks perfect for this club.

Perhaps the biggest hurdle for the Reds is expectation and belief. United seemed to struggle with the burden of having gone so long without the title up till 1992. It weighed them down and if Liverpool Football club top the table going into March next year you can be sure it will weigh on the players mind. I've been encouraged with the talk coming from the likes of Rafa, Gerrard, Carra and the other senior players just lately. you can tell they believe this team is on the brink of something special, they really beleive the title is there to be won. We heard the same things going into the last world Cup but you get the impression it's for real this time.

YNWA...
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Fri May 19, 2006 7:40 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:Sh*tski are always going to be the major stumbling block between us and the Premiership title. Any team with such stupid amounts of money at their disposal, together with the most arrogant manager in history, will always be the team to beat.

top draw quote   lando 10/10 mate

rafa will sort us out with getting bent over on the price the club is in the best hands since paisley   role on rafa
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby red37 » Fri May 19, 2006 8:08 pm

good reads there lando and scott.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bad Bob » Fri May 19, 2006 8:18 pm

Scottbot wrote:Next season's title race has all the makings of a classic. It could and should be a genuine 4 horse race. Of course Chelsea are the STRONG favourites but it really could go to any of the top four.

Chelsea - Their biggest strength for me is their ability to grind out wins against the smaller teams in the league no matter how poorly they are playing. When Chelsea are up against the likes of Villa, Charlton or Sunderland you simply know they are going to win. If someone else is gonna be champ then we need some of the smaller teams to grow some balls and the
belief that they can give Chelsea a game. Of course the fact they have just added Ballack to an already impressive midfield and are now talking about the likes of Shevchenko means they have by far the deepest squad in world football. Also, they have a fantastic manager, tremendous team spirit and mental strength. It will take something special to knock them off their perch.

Arsenal - It's gonna be an interesting season for Arsenal. Henry staying is as big for them as Stevie agreeing to stay on last summer. They will miss the leadership/influence of Bergkamp and much depends on how quickly they can turn the Emirates stadium into 'home'. Highbury wasn't called the 'library' for nothing so if they can get off to a good start i fully expect them to be challenging for the title again this time around. I've been very impressed with the kids who carried them so far in Europe. Eboue looks 1st class, Toure and Senderos are really developing and Diaby, Adebayor and Walcott look like they have great potential. Arsenal got bullied about last season and i wonder if Wenger will bring in someone to provide a bit of leadership & English true grit for those tough away days to the likes of Bolton. Maybe someone in the Kevin Nolan mould or perhaps semeone big and strong to play up front.

United - Tough to see which way United will go. losing Horse will be a big loss and i expect it to cost them (by the way i would love it if we signed him) They now rely on Rooney as much as England do and should he struggle to some back from this injury their season could go up in smoke before it has even started. They will welcome back Scholes and Heinze who were massive losses last year but i think everyone would agree that it all depends on the 2 midfield players Fergie brings in this summer. I expect them to go for a big name like Gattuso or Diarra and then someone like Steven Davis (an excellent prospect) from Villa. If Fergie gets that right then you would have to expect them to be there or thereabouts come the end of the season. with Fergie's track record you'd be stupid not to.

As for us, i don't think we're far away. I'm very encouraged with the way we brushed aside some of the smaller teams (a'la Chelsea) last season but it's pretty obvious Rafa needs to improve his league record against our rivals. Just two Anfield wins against Arsenal and a couple of draws with united over two seasons is way short of title form and will have to change if that Premiership trophy is to end up at Anfield this time next year. Much depends on how Rafa moves in the transfer market in the summer. I would like to see someone like Pennant come in to spell Gerrard on the right and then I would like to see us spend the rest of the available money on a quality player up-front. Must admit I have watched a bit of David Villa over the last couple of months and he looks perfect for this club.

Perhaps the biggest hurdle for the Reds is expectation and belief. United seemed to struggle with the burden of having gone so long without the title up till 1992. It weighed them down and if Liverpool Football club top the table going into March next year you can be sure it will weigh on the players mind. I've been encouraged with the talk coming from the likes of Rafa, Gerrard, Carra and the other senior players just lately. you can tell they believe this team is on the brink of something special, they really beleive the title is there to be won. We heard the same things going into the last world Cup but you get the impression it's for real this time.

YNWA...

Spot on, Scott...

I really believe that we will compete with Chelsea next season.  The question is whether Arsenal and United will also be right up there too.  If they are, a 4-horse race could really be good for the league and for the title race.  It's about time Chelsea were put under a bit of sustained pressure from their closest rivals and if there's a few of us nipping at their heels it may make for a very interesting title race.  The key is to staying within touching distance of the leaders all season so that we can be in a position to overtake down the home stretch.  I don't see us--nor would I relish us--leading the pack into the home stretch and looking over our shoulder...the nerves associated with that would do me in!  :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Scottbot » Sat May 20, 2006 12:57 pm

Bad Bob wrote:The key is to staying within touching distance of the leaders all season so that we can be in a position to overtake down the home stretch.  I don't see us--nor would I relish us--leading the pack into the home stretch and looking over our shoulder...the nerves associated with that would do me in!  :D

Thats a decent shout Bob. I agree our best chance will be a close fought contest before jumping ahead and stealing the crown in the last few games.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Premiership - General Discussion