Clubs consider quota system - Discussions begin over limit on homegrow

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby lakes10 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:04 pm

GYBS wrote:National Academy ? Winger for England ? Who cares about England football team - Its Liverpool Football Club i care about and pretty much the majority of Liverpool Fans .

There is an even field to compete - any team can try and buy any player .

yes and its a English Liverpool football club i care about, if it dont have English players or a British manager then its only Liverpool Football club by name, and thats sad, a good strong English Liverpoool team means a good strong England team.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby loopyliverpool » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:06 pm

Our 'national' game needs a national identity. That England winger might come from LFC, who knows, my point is English players need to be given a fair crack! We can all 'try' and buy top players but the reality is they go to the teams who are going to pay them the most money, which translates as not an even field. I think a quota system would bring some parity to clubs in this country and Europe. Football should be about competition not domination. I think four or five foreigners per team is plenty.
loopyliverpool

Postby GYBS » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:08 pm

Really ? euring the 80s did we have a good strong english football club ? Rush ,Dalglish,Souness Hansen Molby Grobs Whelan Johnstone Lawro  ? not english . Its Liverpool football club not English Liverpool Football . Who cares about a really strong english team ? the England team has done feck all for over 40 years now . I expect most people just want Liverpool to win trophies not caring the nationality off the players that win .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:11 pm

As i said Loopey who cares about our national game its club that matters- last time we had a very good bunch of english lads we won a league cup - and it was only until the introduction of some quality foriegn players did we start winning trophies regulary again . Are you telling me you wouldnt celebrate us winning a title or trophy if we only had one or two englsih people with the rest foriegn ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby loopyliverpool » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:18 pm

I don't think the Scots and Welsh count as foreigners! If not English lets say British then, players born and raised in the British Isles! If everyone has a limit to the number of foreigners (people not domiciled to the UK) in their team I cant see the problem.
loopyliverpool

Postby GYBS » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:21 pm

Look at our squad Loopy and you will see the problem there straight away - Bar Carra and gerrard who else is there ?

Someone listed all our foriegn players and then asked you to pick only 4 out of them . our first team would be 6 high class players plus a bunch of kids and we would be nowhere and players like gerrard and torres would leave to join better foriegn clubs .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby loopyliverpool » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:26 pm

If LFC won the League with eleven foreigners I would of course be over the moon, deleriously happy, that goes without saying! Im just saying why cant it be done with four or five and the rest British. If all clubs are restricted to the quota system it would focus them on nurturing British talent, which I for one, would endorse.
loopyliverpool

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:31 pm

lakes10 wrote:
GYBS wrote:National Academy ? Winger for England ? Who cares about England football team - Its Liverpool Football Club i care about and pretty much the majority of Liverpool Fans .

There is an even field to compete - any team can try and buy any player .

yes and its a English Liverpool football club i care about, if it dont have English players or a British manager then its only Liverpool Football club by name, and thats sad, a good strong English Liverpoool team means a good strong England team.

Exactly.

Spain are favourites but when their league is made up of 65% home grown it's hardly surprising is it.

The England manager Capello has drawn attention to the pool of England-eligible players in the Premier League being just 38%.

And Sir Trevor Brooking, the FA's director of football development, says the figure compares unfavourably with the other major footballing powers across Europe.

In Italy, the figure is 75%, in Spain 65% and in Germany 45%.

I personally am an England and Liverpool supporter. You may not be but the players sure are. Playing for you country is the ultimate achievement in terms of level.

But the quota system isn't about bumping the level of the nation team, that's just a handy side effect, it's about securing the clubs identity. The quota doesn't look to wipe out foreign influence in our club it just looks to preserve the local talent that is there.

I am still amazed that not one member of the youth team that made it to the Carling Cup final (Paul Anderson, Jack Hobbs, etc) a few years back has not broken into the first team. These players were beating decent championship and premier league opposition yet due to the availability of foreign talent these have been over-looked for the sake of instant success.

This club was proud of its local BRITISH talent but we clearly have lost that in recent years.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby loopyliverpool » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:31 pm

GYBS wrote:Look at our squad Loopy and you will see the problem there straight away - Bar Carra and gerrard who else is there ?

Someone listed all our foriegn players and then asked you to pick only 4 out of them . our first team would be 6 high class players plus a bunch of kids and we would be nowhere and players like gerrard and torres would leave to join better foriegn clubs .

Exactly! If the quota system was in place we would be forced to bring on academy players or buy British. We wouldn't have a choice and surely the off-shoot of this would be a larger pool of British players available for the national team too. Liverpool first always, but I can see benefits beyond for English/British football as a whole!
loopyliverpool

Postby GYBS » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:32 pm

because there isnt a good enough bunch of british talent arouond - simple as that . even if there was then the best british talent would go for miliions and millions - still to the top clubs so there would be no even playing field . But without much foriegn influence in the game ( which has turned the prem into the best in the world and turned our clubs into the best in europe) then the overall standard of the prem would go downhill which would mean less people watching it arouond the world which in turn would mean less money from the tv which would mean less money to the clubs so the wages would go right down and wouold force the best british players abroad where teams can pay the higher wages cause they will have the better players and the better leagues. We spent years and years focusing on british talent and our national game was still sh ite . and our kids are miles behind the foreign kids in terms of talent and skill . At the end of the day i want Liverpool to be the best in the country and the best in europe and dont care if that means we have to buy the best foriegn talent to do it cause trust me we certainly do have some of the best at the moment .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:38 pm

Understand the sentiments SouthCoast but the reality never really mirrors the sentiments that we all want - i would love to have 11 scousers out there winning the title every year - but that will never happen . Basically the english set of footballers in this country just arent good enough overall bar the guys right at the top . Look at the England National team - how many of them would get into most National Squad ? Jar Jar Gerrard and Rooney plus Terry and Lampard as subs . the rest ? no chance Welsh players ? None Irish ? maybe given as a sub Scottish ? None . they just arent good enough and thats the bare facts and the simple truth to the matter .Ten to a penny most foreign players are better than british players . if there was better British players about then teams would buy them but there isnt .

You mention jack Hobbs but at the same age Pique was far superior to him . Anderson while a decent player was nowhere near the level of a nani or ronaldo at same age . plus many many more .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:44 pm

Also what you have to consider is that scottish welsh etc would be counted as foriegn as they are all seperate countries and FAs .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby loopyliverpool » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:48 pm

I don't see that! The Premiership sells itself with or without all these foreigners. Im not saying stop having all foreigners just limit it. Clubs should be football, not financial institutions. Watching the development of players through the academy, through to the first team is all part of that 'belonging' to the club. I for one would I'd like to see far more of it.
loopyliverpool

Postby GYBS » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:52 pm

When did the prem start selling itself then ? when all the foreign players started arriving . When did the prem clubs start becoming the best in europe - when the foriegn players arrived . Other countries want to see the best players in the world playing , they want to watch a torres and a ronaldo etc those players wont come to the prem if the money is not there and if the teams arent doing well in the CL they will go to the other big european clubs like the used to late 80s and early 90s .Yes clubs should be about football but they arent and never will be again and its now all about money and always will be . You can blame sky and the prem if you want cause they started bringing  in the big money .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:04 pm

GYBS wrote:Understand the sentiments SouthCoast but the reality never really mirrors the sentiments that we all want - i would love to have 11 scousers out there winning the title every year - but that will never happen . Basically the english set of footballers in this country just arent good enough overall bar the guys right at the top . Look at the England National team - how many of them would get into most National Squad ? Jar Jar Gerrard and Rooney plus Terry and Lampard as subs . the rest ? no chance Welsh players ? None Irish ? maybe given as a sub Scottish ? None . they just arent good enough and thats the bare facts and the simple truth to the matter .Ten to a penny most foreign players are better than british players . if there was better British players about then teams would buy them but there isnt .

You mention jack Hobbs but at the same age Pique was far superior to him . Anderson while a decent player was nowhere near the level of a nani or ronaldo at same age . plus many many more .

But we didn't buy Pique, Nani or Ronaldo, we bought the likes of Babel, Benayoun, etc. As far as Benayoun has played well of late, I'd of sooner given the youth members a chance over buying the tripe we have bought over the years.

Ten to a penny most foreign players are better than british players

Your argument proves the very point of having a quota, your comments prove more than anything I could write to justify a limit on foreigners. The very presence of so many foreign players is restricting the opportunities of youth team players because clubs will opt to buy a "ready-to-go" foreign player.

Spanish and Italian clubs have such a high percentage of local players they export and profit from them every single season. Its like the old analogy - "If you put a gifted child in a bad class he'll go down. But if you put him in a good class he'll get even better."

The likes of Man Utd did this to perfection in the 90's, integrating youth team members into the first team. In fact a good case in point is Steven Gerrard - he wasn't always this good, I was only watching a old game on LFC.TV the other day and noticed how average he looked, nowadays he would of been discarded. Very few players are born with instant talent, most need to be mentored and be around quality consistently. Hopefully the quota will achieve this.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion