Should liverpool sell steven gerrard? - The times 20th december

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:52 am

One goal from open play in the last 13 according to SSN, he certainly hasn't been at his best. He's scored only five this season :

1 v Tottenham 5th (a) - penalty to equalise minutes before we conceded the goal that beat us
1 vs Bolton 18th (a) - 83rd minute winner against strugglers Bolton
1 vs Hull 19th (h) - won 6-1 and his was #4, they only just avoided relegation last season
1 vs Brum 8th (h) - promoted last season, penalty to equalise
1 vs Wolves 15th (h) - promoted last season

Not been his best season by any stretch of the imagination, only scoring from open play against sides in the bottom 3rd of the league, but he holds down legend status so won't be criticised by a lot. We need him to display leadership more than ever, he's picked up as many yellows as he's scored from open play (three)
Last edited by Owzat on Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby matrix » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:15 am

Steven Gerrard rubbishes rumours he'll quit Liverpool FC
Jan 20 2010 By Ian Doyle, Daily Post

STEVEN GERRARD has rubbished rumours  he was at the centre of a  dressing room row  and  insists he remains fully committed to Liverpool.

Tales swept Merseyside and beyond in the wake of last week’s FA Cup defeat at home to Reading concerning a  bust-up involving the Liverpool skipper.

They came on top of renewed reports claiming Gerrard  –  who  will again be sidelined this evening’s home clash with  Tottenham Hotspur – was considering a summer move away from Anfield with Benitez’s side struggling to compete for honours this season.

Having thus far maintained a public silence, Gerrard has now moved to respond to the increasing speculation.

And he last night laughed off speculation of a split in the Anfield ranks, and believes the whispers have instead helped bring the  squad closer together as they aim to make amends for a so far disappointing campaign.

“I’ve heard about a dozen versions of the same  rumour and they’re all as daft as each other,” said the 29-year-old.

“I’d love to know who comes up with this kind of stuff because they must have an unbelievable imagination.

“Nothing happened, that’s an absolute fact. But if anyone thinks this nonsense unsettles either me or the club then they’re mistaken, if anything it’s brought everyone even closer together because we’ve all had a good laugh about it.

“In the time since he’s been here I’ve never had a problem with the manager or his staff, and certainly not at half-time in the Reading game when I was actually receiving treatment for the injury I’d picked up during the first half.

“The important thing for me now is trying to get myself fit as soon as possible  so I can get back to working with the manager and the team to try and improve our situation.”

Some reports have suggested Gerrard is poised to depart for Real Madrid or Manchester City in the summer, while Inter Milan have repeatedly attempted to drum up talk of a move for the midfielder.

But the Anfield captain said: “All the stories about me leaving are unfounded. The fans can be assured that I am doing all I can to get back to top form and help Liverpool finish the season on a high......

nice to hear that  more :censored: from the press...   gerrard is going nowhere...  :;): :cool:

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:56 am

I remember when he was first to be sold they were talking about selling Gerrard for around 60 million and that (in those days) the new stadium was supposed to cost around 80-100 million. I remember saying we should sell Gerrard as the stadium was most important. Had we made that deal we might not have had the American owners sucking our club dry and we might have been in our new stadiun already. Clearly he has been a great influence on any success we have had since, but sometimes you need to make tough decisions for long term gain. He is getting older so 60 million for Gerrard? I'd take it!
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:02 am

Emerald Red wrote:
Sir Roger wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
Sir Roger wrote:If Gerrard was sold for 60 million and it was given to Rafa to buy players, would you trust him to buy good enough players with that money?

Yes. Without a doubt, yes. If anything has held under scutiny of the Benitez regime, it's that when he's had it - the money that is - he'd generally bought very well when he's had the luxury of spending roughly 15-20 million on a player. Of course the obvious acception is Robbie Keane, but he was quickly shuffled out the door in fairness. If Rafa was given 60 million to spend in a single summer, then I'd have every confidence he'd find the quality we need. People seem to have forgotten that this is the manager that found us players like Torres, Alonso, Reina, and Mascherano. In today's market, how much would Torres cost us? I'd say the price of all of what we paid for the above players combined.

Thats 4 players Emerald
Out of how many?

Actually, there's been more than four good buys. I'm talking about the premium players; those that cost us between 15-20 million. You also look at some of the lesser players bought. Most were sold for considerable profit. Under Evens and Houllier, we never really made anything on the sh*t they brought in.

ER, I'm not going to get into the debate about Net spend (which seems to be part of the point you've made), but I'll say this : Irrespective of whether the overall spend based on players bought and players sold is round about nil, if a manager goes through the motions of buying 5, or 10, or 20 or whatever number of players, is it not too much to expect that of the 20, say, at least 15 of them might be quality and STILL there 3 years later ? Perhaps 15 is a bit ambitious as many leave for various reasons.....but overall if a club is going to be so active in the transfer market, then an overall low net spend (while admirable) is not what the whole point of the exercise is ?
Surely the point is to identify who you want, quality players, bring them in, and keep the above exercise to a minimum....Rafa has had way too many misses, you'd have to say...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby mrt » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:33 pm

When he did identify players he wanted (eg. Dani Alves, Simao, Barry ffs) the money was not made available.  There's no guarantee they would have worked out for us but Rafa could argue he's had to settle for his second or third choices.  And no, Gerrard should not be sold.
Last edited by mrt on Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrt

Postby Dinger » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:56 pm

I cant see us selling Stevie G, besides the obvious points of his age stopping a high enough transfer fee for us to get someone else to replace him, him being a big player in the spine of the team and the fact that he is Liverpool through and through. I named my cat after him and I don't wanna have to kill/replace it when he signs for Madrid.
Dinger

Postby sully0182 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:17 am

no i wouldnt sell him, i wouldnt trust how much of 60 million the yanks would let rafa use for transfers, i'd rather not take the risk, besides theres something about him isnt there?? :D
You can't just walk in here with a big banana and expect everything to be peaches...

"We see things they'll never see" - Noel Gallagher, fellow united hater
sully0182

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion