Interviews with the manager. - Is class, decorum etc important?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby aCe' » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:51 pm

Xabi Alonso & Javier Mascherano 'Owe' Liverpool - Rafael Benitez
The Anfield pair should show their loyalty, according to Benitez...
10 Jul 2009 08:34:29

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez believes midfield pair Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano will stay at Anfield this summer simply because they "owe" the club.

Alonso has been targeted by Real Madrid as they launch an assault on the transfer market, los Blancos having already signing Raul Albiol, Kaka, Cristiano Ronaldo and Karim Benzema.

Meanwhile, Mascherano is high on Barcelona's hit-list as the Spanish Primera Division winners look to strengthen in order to hold off the challenge from Real this season.

Both players are yet to express a desire to stay on Merseyside, however, Benitez has insisted Liverpool do not intend to sell and wants the middle men to prove their loyalty.

"We signed Xabi when no one knew him, then renewed his contract two years ago and it seemed he was happy," Benitez said.

"With Mascherano, you know the situation, so both players know they owe Liverpool a lot.

"They are players the fans like and they owe us, in terms of loyalty.

"We have to be very clear - we are preparing our squad for next season, not talking of selling players."

******************************************************************************************

Could be good news, but you never know really.... a day before we sold Keane Rafa came out and said we werent going to sell... but anyways..

Dont understand the Alonso part really... when we signed him werent RealMadrid also after him at the time ? What about Rafa wanting to sell him last season ? i'm pretty sure he didnt 'seem happy' then and he doesnt seem happy now..

Anyways would be good if they both stay... just hope everything goes well in the dressing rooms next season if they do... no point in sticking with the players to ensure continuity if its going to cause squad disharmony i guess... if Alonso insists on leaving i think we should look to sell him for as much as we can get... same with Mascherano....
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:31 am

To be honest I think that interview is lifted from what the manager said during the Johnson press conference. I do agree that both players owe something of a debt of gratitude to Liverpool, particularly Masherano, but I suppose Alonso could equally ask Rafa where his loyalty was last Summer when he was trying to sell him.

In reality "loyalty" as such is in short supply in football generally unfortunately. There are a couple of factors at play in the potential transfer of the two central midfielders. You culd ask how much they really want to go, but equally you could ask how much any potential buyers actually want them. It's all very well Masherano slobbering over Barcelona, and Alonso over Madrid, but unless those two clubs can come accross with a better than sensible offer then it's no deal. If that eventuality comes to pass, I definately agree with Rafa in the sense that they certainly are obligated to try their best for Liverpool and get on with it should their respective "dream" moves not actualy happen in the end. In fairness to both players, I suspect thay are good enough pro's to accept it and do their best, provided we didn't get silly and demand 50 million quid for each or something.
Last edited by bigmick on Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:43 am

bigmick wrote:To be honest I think that interview is lifted from what the manager said during the Johnson press conference. I do agree that both players owe something of a debt of gratitude to Liverpool, particularly Masherano, but I suppose Alonso could equally ask Rafa where his loyalty was last Summer when he was trying to sell him.

In reality "loyalty" as such is in short supply in football generally unfortunately. There are a couple of factors at play in the potential transfer of the two central midfielders. You culd ask how much they really want to go, but equally you could ask how much any potential buyers actually want them. It's all very well Masherano slobbering over Barcelona, and Alonso over Madrid, but unless those two clubs can come accross with a better than sensible offer then it's no deal. If that eventuality comes to pass, I definately agree with Rafa in the sense that they certainly are obligated to try their best for Liverpool and get on with it should their respective "dream" moves not actualy come to pass.

You're looking at it from a different perspective than the one intended but fair enough... (Players, manager... could go both ways i guess but i was trying to get it to fit in with the thread)
No doubt if they stay, they'd be expected to give it their all whenever they're played... wouldn't expect anything less from either to be honest, at the very least, they owe the fans that much especially Alonso.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:35 am

He probably thought that City was the Real Madrid of the premier league...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:44 am

Tbh i know i have gone on about paying two much for Johnson, an Rafa is right the money being floated around at the mo is disgraceful , An Crazyhorse is right and all i and everyone else wants players to come here not because of there wage packet or what bonusus there gonna earn but to play for us, It should be an honour to wear our shirt. Thats why ive softend towards Johnson because he chose to come here and play for us when he most prob could of gone else were an be better wages wise, We are recognised world wide as a great footballing side our history speaks for itself, that alone should attract the right kind of players imo who want to play for us for footballing reasons and the status that goes with wearing our shirt. I know you can most prob count players like that on one hand these days , but there out there , As Glen Jhonson has proved..
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stapo1000 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:39 pm

isn't johnson on 90k a week?
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:41 pm

dunno but he's pinched the Doss's number! :laugh:
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Emerald Red » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:49 am

So because a man is simply telling the truth and giving his honest opinion, he is showing lack of class and is treading a thin line of putting his foot in it? Here's my assesment of that allegation:

BOLLOX!
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion