Interviews with the manager. - Is class, decorum etc important?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:04 am

I was reading the report of rafa's interview at the press conference to unveil Johnson, and I wasn't really too sure about the content, given it's the Liverpool manager and all that. I know somebody posted up the video clip this morning but I didn't get chance to watch it.

Anyway, this is the quote from the Times  "If it’s just for money sometimes you make mistakes, like Barry."

“I won’t say too much but that was clearly for the money, 100 per cent. It is not a bad thing to miss out on him."

Now I don't know for sure if the quotes are accurate, but if they are what do people think? For my part, I think if Rafa had said "only he'll know why he decided to sign for Man City" etc it might have been better. Not for the first time, I think he runs the risk of making himself appear a bit petty with outbursts like that. I think it would be better if he rose above such things.

Now I'm not going to put discalimers in, but can the people who normally steam into such discussions just chill a bit before jumping in. I'm not starting a flame war with the thread, it's just my opinion that we should be a bit bigger than appearing to show sour grapes because a player has signed for somebody else. Different if Barry came out shooting his mouth off, but he hasn't so IMHO we should let it go.
Last edited by bigmick on Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:13 am

typical Rafa though isnt it...
next we'll be complaining that sugar is too sweet and that black is too dark....
The whole money thing is just part of football.. i dont believe for one second that Barry's prime motivation for signing for City was money... Villa were reported to have offered him a huge deal which im guessing is upwards of 100K a week... hes on something similar with ManCity if im not wrong... then you have us as the third interested party...
If i was Barry, in a world cup year with him being a regular now in the England squad i wouldnt want to jeopardize that by moving to a side where i wouldnt be guaranteed a starting role week in week out.... thats why he passed out on moving to Liverpool imo... thats what he reportedly said when he signed for City, and i for one am buying what hes saying...

As for Benitez... he's never been great when it came to handling the media imo... ever since the CL final we lost its all been pretty much the same from him....

Again, funny we'd be the ones talking about "money, money, money" when we've been spending as much as anyone else over the past few years since he's taken over... Johnson for 18mill and with the wages hes getting ?! guess that had nothing to do with "money money money"
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:15 am

I understand your point Mick, but for me I think Rafa is just telling the truth. Whether or not thats always wise is another question lol. Barry stated he wanted CL football last season, and while I do understand that guaranteed FIRST TEAM football is a big plus, its not what he was asking for last season. I don't blame anyone going for the money and he must have thought all his birthdays had come at once when he signed for Citeh, but a little more honesty would be nice. Next thing he will be saying is he always wanted to play for Hughes and he supported City as a boy.  :D
account deleted by request

Postby bigmick » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:18 am

Well why ever anyone signs for anyone, I just think we should rise above it. It's not that they (the comments) have an effect on how successful you might be as a manager or club, (the comments were precisely the type of b0ll0cks Ferguson would come out with for example), but I just think we should set a higher standard if we can.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:23 am

I also think Rafa was telling the truth S@int in that he genuinely believes Barry went for the money. That said, I do think there may well be something in the thoughts that Barry wants to play both regularly and in his best position in the pre World Cup season. It would be interesting in actual fact to see who he would have signed for had the whole situation been played out now, what with both Masherano and Alonso being the subject of sustained speculation. As of now of course, we could do with him and it's a shame we didn't know our two central midfielders were casting wistful glances to Spain before he went to City.

Anyway, I say again it's not a big issue either way. I'm not using it as a stick to beat the manager with, and I don't hate him with a passion.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:23 am

s@int wrote:I understand your point Mick, but for me I think Rafa is just telling the truth. Whether or not thats always wise is another question lol. Barry stated he wanted CL football last season, and while I do understand that guaranteed FIRST TEAM football is a big plus, its not what he was asking for last season. I don't blame anyone going for the money and he must have thought all his birthdays had come at once when he signed for Citeh, but a little more honesty would be nice. Next thing he will be saying is he always wanted to play for Hughes and he supported City as a boy.  :D

Between City and AstonVilla, who has the better chance of breaking into the top 4 in the next few years ?

It was always going to be hard rejecting City unless a top4 club came in for him with 1st team football guarantees though wasnt it ?! if it was between say Arsenal and City and he snubbed Arsenal in favor of City i'd understand the whole "money" thing...

I think AstonVilla gave it their best shot last season, hard to see them improving on what they managed to do with the squad they have atm... Barry probably knows it and his club career didnt seem to be going anywhere with them...

Anyways i dont think the thread is about Barry as much as it is about Benitez and his handling of the media so yea.... sorry to take it off track...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:37 am

I am probably a little more cynical than most when it comes to transfers, which may be why I am not as devastated as some about the Owen/Judas transfer.

As for Rafa I think he is a bit hit and miss with the media. I was made up when he came out with his speeches about Fergie (I know a lot were'nt) and thought he made a bad error of judgement when he said what he did about Keane (who was still our player at the time)

Postby bigmick » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:54 am

What was the Keane thing mate I don't remember that?
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:18 am

:D  About  he hadn't paid 20million for Keane,Liverpool football club bought him.

Postby Ciggy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:23 am

nit picking? Does this really deserve its own topic  ???

He's telling the truth at the end of the day, Gazbaz went to City because of the money end of.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:28 am

Ciggy wrote:nit picking? Does this really deserve its own topic  ???

Probably not on the "it's own topic" thing Lynds but I was bored and I just read it online. Not really nitpicking as like I say I don't think it's a major issue either way, I just would prefer it if he didn't do it.

No big issue though like I say.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:28 am

s@int wrote: :D  About  he hadn't paid 20million for Keane,Liverpool football club bought him.

Well he was tellin the truth really because the money never came out of his  his pocket , it came from Liverpool Football clubs bank , so in fact he was right ,He never bought him Liverpool football club did, But thats Rafa being sarky :laugh:
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:35 am

NANNY RED wrote:
s@int wrote::D  About  he hadn't paid 20million for Keane,Liverpool football club bought him.

Well he was tellin the truth really because the money never came out of his  his pocket , it came from Liverpool Football clubs bank , so in fact he was right ,He never bought him Liverpool football club did, But thats Rafa being sarky :laugh:

If that's all it was Nanny I am quite happy with that. Its just that at the time people were saying it was because he either hadn't wanted Keane or that it was because he wouldn't have paid so much for Keane.

I think your explanation is much better

Postby mart » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:52 am

He is just saying what everyone knows. Barry went for the money.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby supersub » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:35 am

aCe' wrote:typical Rafa though isnt it...
next we'll be complaining that sugar is too sweet and that black is too dark....
The whole money thing is just part of football.. i dont believe for one second that Barry's prime motivation for signing for City was money...

typical aCe

:sleep
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion