Rafa on the transfer window

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:19 pm

"Rafa, with no new signings before the transfer deadline can we assume you're happy with your squad?

Yes, I'm happy. I am also happy that the transfer window has now closed and I have time to work with the team and with the squad of players we have here. "

I can't blame Rafa for not buying anymore players. True we need one or two players but no squad is perfect in all areas. As he said now he can have more time to work with the squad instead of getting more players who would need time to fit in.

Josemi seems to be fitting in EPL in every game. Garcia and Alonso need maybe a couple of more games before they can play at 100%, Cisse and Baros need more "geling"
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:19 pm

To be honest, the right players aren't available at the moment. The market isn't exactly teeming with quality central defenders with pace, and no striker worth their salt would sign for a club where they're up against 2 potentially very good internationals for a starting spot.

While these areas of our squad do worry me, I do think we've got enough depth to see us through until the window reopens, by which time Benitez will know more about other players in the Premiership, and will also have had time to work out who isn't worth keeping.

On the plus side, we have got ourselves a world class midfield, and competition for that left wing slot will spice things up very nicely indeed. In Carra, Finnan and Josemi we've also got a lot of versatility at the back, and once Rafa works out which of his squad can be relied upon to come in and do a job (ie: not Diao), we'll be okay. Let's keep our fingers crossed that Cisse and Baros can gel, but even if they take a month or so about it I can see goals from elsewhere in our side.
ivor_the_injun

Postby adayinthelife » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:15 pm

The transfer window is the biggest load of bollox. :angry:

Anyone know who the ****** invented it ???
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:33 am

Probably that stupid t1t Seb Blaster, he is a muppet and I hate him nearly as much as Michele Platini :angry:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the great one » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:45 am

why do u hate one of the most gifted midfielder in the world who has graced world and european championships?
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Shanti » Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:19 am

i hate tyson
LOVE
SHANTI WULANSARI
Shanti

Postby laza » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:04 am

Well better he didnt buy anybody then some panic buy of some second rater who would have sat on the bench (if there was any room) earning a nice big wage
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tel » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:06 am

I enjoyed reading Rafa's comments. Clearly he is thinking well ahead and not rushing into bringing in players and spending money.

I was disappointed we didnt bring in a new central defender, Sammi is too slow, Henchoz hasnt recovered from injuries and Traore is a joke. But its clear the gaffer knows he needs having looked at Woodgate as an option.

I've heard from my friend in Spain that he's waiting for the bad blood between him and Valencia to cool as they wont do business with LFC right now due to Rafa's poaching. But high on his list is Ayala. Expect to see him in January. Aimar apparently is also on the list, and we'd already have taken Mista as Owen replecement if not for Valencia's refusal to do business with us.

Rafa's demonstrating patience to get the right players, and I for one agree with him.
tel

Postby laza » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:31 am

Yeah Rafa looks to be in the for the long haul and his patience in transfer market i see as a strengh if it will mean short term frustration for some
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anchor man » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:37 pm

I think AYALA would b the best central defender to play for liverpool since the lawro era, so if its a possability either in jan or we ave to wait till summer so b it but it would b worth the wait.

RB comes across as a manager that gives you belief in your abilities, I think we will c him get more from the likes of carra, risse, hyppia etc than they even thought possible.
anchor man

Postby stmichael » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:38 pm

anchorman, whats the truth about kevin beattie? :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion