Well rafa wants to talk about the transfer window - So why shouldn't we?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:51 am

These threads seem to come earlier and earlier each season, but there's no question that the rumour mill will really start to go mad in the coming weeks. Rafa's wanting to talk to the owners about players, so it sounds like a good time to start talking about realistic targets, and who's on the books that we can afford to lose.

So, put simply, who's to go, and who's to come in?

Obviously the kids with no concept of money will come on and drop a list of half a dozen names of players that we can't afford, or that they haven't seen play outside a game of Pro Evo. For me:

The only likely departure I see is Carson. There's a lot of talk of Crouch going, but I just don't see it happening, although that may well be wishful thinking on my part. As for Sissoko, I think that Rafa has him down as his future Viera, and I reckon he'll back the player for another season or two yet.

No question we're somewhat overstocked in central midfield however, so I do wonder if Mascherano will actually end up as a permanent signing. Lucas looks a class, class act, and a quartet of Gerrard, Alonso, Sissoko and Lucas is far from shoddy. I'd love Mascha to stay, but if Rafa wants funds, it's an obvious area to cut back.

The clear shortcoming is adequate back up in the centre of defence, so I see a notable signing there, hopefully a big step up from what we got with Pellegrino, and probably a Spaniard or South American that will be unknown to me. A month ago the left was a real headache, but with Aurelio back and offering cover anywhere on that side, and with Kewell's return from injury, I think it's potentially an area that may now be adequately covered until summer.

There's still a question mark over the right of midfield, mainly because nobody has put their foot down and stapled their name to the position. We have four genuine options in the squad in Pennant, Benayoun, Gerrard and Babel however, so I think it's a matter of someone needing to step up and make the spot their own.

The striking berths are an area of concern for me if we do have genuine title aspirations this season, mainly because after Torres there is a real drop off when it comes to a constant goalscoring threat. Crouch - no question - has been underused this season, while Voronin and Kuyt are both busy, energetic but generally too wasteful to be regular starters at this level. Of the four for me, Kuyt has underwhelmed now for a season and a half and is the weak link, but he's clearly another of Rafa's favourites. I do wonder about the eventual destiny of Babel being up front, particularly as his recent performances have been far more impressive than earlier in the season.

So really, all said I think I'd be happy if our January transfer activity consisted of a decent centre back coming in. Further signings may well depend on how much faith Rafa has in Kewell and Aurelio's ability to remain free of injury, and exactly what the score is between the manager and Peter Crouch. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if it's a relatively quiet window for the club, despite all the recent noise.

Your thoughts, ladies and gents?
ivor_the_injun

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:04 am

I think it might have been quite a busy window but for recent events. To allow Mascherano to walk away would be a huge mistake in my view. How many top class players do you get the opportunity to "try before you buy". He has done everything asked of him and been outstanding in most of his games. Remember he is only 22, what will he be like when he reaches his peak? Huge mistake if we lose Mascherano.

I think Crouch and maybe Riise will go if we get the right offers and Rafa is allowed to spend the fees on new players. Otherwise we may finish up getting next to nothing for them as their contracts have only 18 months to go.

I think we all know we are short of a CB, and if given permission by Parry we might get one.

Aguero, Diego, Villa any one of which would be nice, but unlikely now.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby username » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:10 am

All this talk of a new centerback is great... but people are talking about 10 million? Not even as a first team starter and were paying 10 mil! I do think we need a classy right winger, there are enough names going round already, but i would happly splash some big cash for a good right winger (but I dont think rafa will end up buying one and will just hope the right wingers can work something out). We also need a good striker to play with Torres. Babel has started shown what he can do, and seems to like playing behind the striker bridging the gap between striker and midfield, and if rafa takes his chances and plays him up top, we might not need another striker (although, if not for this money :censored:, i would be asking for one).

The problem is, if we are going to get mashca, he will be around 15 mil (fully worth it). This will leave us with little money to buy a winger and striker, making us choose one (1 star is better than 2 fillers), leaving us with around 4 or 5 mil for a cover defender. If rafa does belive we need to spend 10 mil on a defender... then I don't see many other options apart from a defender and mascha with some youth buys

(p.s. i want Aguero, but, in imho, i dont see that happening this season)
"Fernando Towers won't triumph in the premiership.
And you can quote me on that. " - Sabre 2007
Sorry Sabre, but when i see stuff like this i have to quote it :D
username

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:13 am

Well I offload Carson for whatever we can get for him, and possibly Momo. Like you said we're over stocked in that department and he is the weakest link. I'd much rather have Mascha than Momo, he's just simply a better footballer. Hopefully with the Carson Momo sales we could purchase Mascha.

Left flank I'd leave alone, like you Ivor for now. Right mid hmmm I'd probably leave that alone too Gerrard, Pennant or Benayoun will have to fill in for the remainder of the season there. I dont think we can afford to buy another RM yet. Rafa's purchased the players and now he really needs to get the best out of both Yossi and Jermaine.

CH is a must, I honestly dont know though I havent see many players other than LFC ones this year. If the money were available though I'd take Micah Richards but as thats highly unlikely a cheaky bid for Ledley King. Other than that I have no real idea.

I wouldnt expect to many in's and out's during the Jan transfer window, so maybe Momo and Carson out, Mascha tied down, and a center half in.

Those are my thoughts, definately a lot different from Rafa's, I'd also if not in Jan in the summer offload Kuyt and Voronin. Just leaving Babel, Torres and Crouch upfront, and with the money made from the sale of Kuyt and Voronin bring in David Villa, is that wishfull thinking Ivor yeah probably, actually this is more realistic I'd get Robbie Keane from Spurs good player and is the kind of player we need.  :nod
66-1112520797

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:17 am

Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love us to have Mascherano, and he's very blatantly going to be a world class player for years. I just wonder if the purse strings do get tightened where the sacrifices will be made. For me, there's too many cooks in the squad in the centre of midfield, and to be honest if Alonso hadn't got the injury, we'd see threads on here about the future of the one being used the least.

For me, Sissoko is clearly the weak link as he has absolutely no consistency to his game. He's almost like the Traore of the central midfield - capable of absolutely faultless tackles, but just absolutely mindless with the ball, and equally capable of hacking a man down for no reason whatsoever. I think he's a real Rafa favourite though, so if it's not Sissoko to go (and let's not forget he's only just signed a lengthy new contract) then maybe you start to look at whether we've really missed Alonso all that much. Again, not a path I'd go down, but if finances don't meet Rafa's ambitions, there may well be big decisions of that kind to be made.

Riise I think will stay purely because of how much Rafa's played him this season in spite of his poor performances. He's better than he's shown, is at least some kind of option in midfield, and is probably what Rafa wants in a squad player in that he's tireless and physical (much like Kuyt), plus he's never injured, which is something of a novelty for us on the left.

Crouch is the big question mark. For me, he's a first 11 player alongside Torres every week, but Rafa clearly doesn't agree, and I'd be an idiot to ignore the obviously preferential treatment that he's given to Kuyt this season. I'd be massively disappointed if he was the one of Crouch, Voronin and Kuyt to go, but it's nothing a genuine 25 goals a season man wouldn't cure.
ivor_the_injun

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:19 am

Bamaga man wrote:Well I offload Carson for whatever we can get for him, and possibly Momo. Like you said we're over stocked in that department and he is the weakest link. I'd much rather have Mascha than Momo, he's just simply a better footballer. Hopefully with the Carson Momo sales we could purchase Mascha.

Left flank I'd leave alone, like you Ivor for now. Right mid hmmm I'd probably leave that alone too Gerrard, Pennant or Benayoun will have to fill in for the remainder of the season there. I dont think we can afford to buy another RM yet. Rafa's purchased the players and now he really needs to get the best out of both Yossi and Jermaine.

CH is a must, I honestly dont know though I havent see many players other than LFC ones this year. If the money were available though I'd take Micah Richards but as thats highly unlikely a cheaky bid for Ledley King. Other than that I have no real idea.

I wouldnt expect to many in's and out's during the Jan transfer window, so maybe Momo and Carson out, Mascha tied down, and a center half in.

Those are my thoughts, definately a lot different from Rafa's, I'd also if not in Jan in the summer offload Kuyt and Voronin. Just leaving Babel, Torres and Crouch upfront, and with the money made from the sale of Kuyt and Voronin bring in David Villa, is that wishfull thinking Ivor yeah probably, actually this is more realistic I'd get Robbie Keane from Spurs good player and is the kind of player we need.  :nod

I think I am the only person in England that doesn't rate Robbie Keane.  :(

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:22 am

Bamaga man wrote:I'd get Robbie Keane from Spurs good player and is the kind of player we need.  :nod

A good shout, and a guy I'd have happily have taken in any one of the last three summers.

Spurs never seem short of a bob or two though, and with their problems this season, I certainly don't see it happening in January.
ivor_the_injun

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:24 am

s@int wrote:I think I am the only person in England that doesn't rate Robbie Keane.  :(

He's always struck me as a less skilful, more prolific version of Viduka. I certainly don't think he's a first 11 Liverpool player, but I think he'd walk into one of our 4 strikers berths with no problems whatsoever.
ivor_the_injun

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:26 am

For me, Sissoko is clearly the weak link as he has absolutely no consistency to his game. He's almost like the Traore of the central midfield - capable of absolutely faultless tackles, but just absolutely mindless with the ball, and equally capable of hacking a man down for no reason whatsoever.

:laugh:

Touche
66-1112520797

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:30 am

ivor_the_injun wrote:
s@int wrote:I think I am the only person in England that doesn't rate Robbie Keane.  :(

He's always struck me as a less skilful, more prolific version of Viduka. I certainly don't think he's a first 11 Liverpool player, but I think he'd walk into one of our 4 strikers berths with no problems whatsoever.

Keane reminds me of Dean Saunders, great with a poor or semi decent side, but his lack of vision and linkup play gets found out at the top level.

I am probably wrong as no one seems to agree with me but thats my opinion. Sorry  :(

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:33 am

s@int wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:Well I offload Carson for whatever we can get for him, and possibly Momo. Like you said we're over stocked in that department and he is the weakest link. I'd much rather have Mascha than Momo, he's just simply a better footballer. Hopefully with the Carson Momo sales we could purchase Mascha.

Him and Berbatov cut through our defence at Anfield like a hot knife through butter. Yes it was their partnership that did the damage, but the pair of them have troubled us more than any other strikers this season.

Keane had a blinder, a good jinky little player who is very creative and direct.
66-1112520797

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:49 am

Bamaga man wrote:
s@int wrote:

Him and Berbatov cut through our defence at Anfield like a hot knife through butter. Yes it was their partnership that did the damage, but the pair of them have troubled us more than any other strikers this season.

Keane had a blinder, a good jinky little player who is very creative and direct.

Berbatov had a blinder, Keane did what he does best and got the goals. Other than that he was average. I realise its hard to criticise a striker when he scores 2 goals against us, especially when he has a decent record, but Saunders scored lots of goals before he came to us as well.

I put him in the same class as Defoe and Bent, not quite good enough for Liverpool.

Anyway I will retreat gracefully back into my shell and let the transfer talk resume.

Postby username » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:54 am

s@int wrote:Berbatov had a blinder, Keane did what he does best and got the goals. Other than that he was average. I realise its hard to criticise a striker when he scores 2 goals against us, especially when he has a decent record, but Saunders scored lots of goals before he came to us as well.

I put him in the same class as Defoe and Bent, not quite good enough for Liverpool.

Anyway I will retreat gracefully back into my shell and let the transfer talk resume.

But isnt that what we need? Torres can tear up defences with his pace, but when you come to deep defending, you just need someone to get you a goal, and robbie keane does. Thats what we lack
"Fernando Towers won't triumph in the premiership.
And you can quote me on that. " - Sabre 2007
Sorry Sabre, but when i see stuff like this i have to quote it :D
username

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:57 am

Has to be said, I couldn't name you too many quality strikers that a) we could afford, b) didn't move in summer, and c) I'd want at the club.

Keane is the one that sticks out in the Prem for me as the kind of player that would go for Bellamy-type money. Anelka's another. Beyond that I'm struggling when it comes to tried-and-tested Prem players.

Kanoute's name will probably come up, and now he's hit 30 the price tag wouldn't be ridiculous, but he never really set the Prem alight, and again you find yourself asking if he's good enough for a top 4 side. For me, he's not.
ivor_the_injun

Postby mungi » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:24 am

Rafa has mentioned somewhere that he is looking to get 2 more players to his squad. my guess is a CB and a winger. i think the owners have made it clear that to buy he must sell some players. interesting to see what happens
mungi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion