Champions league - Would it be enough?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:37 am

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez feels he has not been given the credit he deserves for his side's performances in the Champions League in recent years.

The Reds are well placed to reach the last eight for the fourth time in five years, taking a 1-0 lead into Tuesday's Anfield second leg against Real Madrid.

"We have the best record in Europe over the last five years, yet some messages coming my way are not the best.

"The facts are there to see. Anyone can see what I have done here," he said.

After taking charge in 2004, Benitez guided Liverpool to their fifth European Cup/Champions League title in 2005, while also taking them to the final two years later.

However, the Spaniard has been criticised in some quarters for failing to steer Liverpool to a first Premier League crown - which would also be their first top-flight title since 1990.

"You have to judge people on the job they are doing and I am happy for anyone to look at how we have progressed in my time at Liverpool," Benitez stated.

"The team is improving all the time and the squad is now better than ever. We are closer to the Premier League title and going well in the Champions League again.

"Maybe some people don't realise how difficult it is to keep succeeding in the Champions League."

Benitez, though, does concede that the coming week may make or break his side's season.

Four days after hosting Real Madrid on Tuesday, Liverpool will play Manchester United in the Premier League.

Liverpool trail United, who have a game in hand, by seven points, but still cling to faint hopes of overturning the deficit and reclaiming a top spot they held for much of the first half of the season.

"It's a very important week," admitted Benitez. "If we can progress in the Champions League it's a boost for the next game.

"And if we can beat United we will still be in the title race. But if we don't it will be very, very difficult."

Liverpool will feel they have a great chance to progress in Europe after they scored a valuable away goal via Yossi Benayoun's header at the Bernabeu but Benitez has warned against complacency at Anfield.

"We must not think we are already there [the quarter-finals] or it will be easy," he added.

"But we have to approach the game with confidence. To win the tie is the most important thing. If we win the game it is done, but sometimes you don't need to win."

Benitez admitted it will be "difficult" for Benayoun, who has a hamstring problem, to play in the second leg, while defenders Daniel Agger and Philippe Degen are both unavailable and Albert Riera is suspended.

Doubts also remain over the fitness of striker Fernando Torres, who has not played since the first leg because of an ankle injury but took part in a light training session on Monday, and full-back Alvaro Arbeloa.

Nine-time champions Real Madrid - seeking a first quarter-final since 2004 - may take encouragement from the fact Liverpool have not won any of their last six home matches against Spanish clubs.

Real have improved significantly since the arrival of former Tottenham manager Juande Ramos in December and they come to Anfield full of confidence off the back of a recent 10-game La Liga winning streak, ended by a 1-1 draw with Atletico Madrid on Saturday.

However, Real defender Fabio Cannavaro has urged his side to be patient ahead of the game.

"We have to have a lot of patience, make no mistakes at the back and the goal will surely come," said the 35-year-old Italy international.

"If we score we would force Liverpool to come out and play. If they want to win the game they are going to have to play and this is the moment where we could take advantage."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7932406.stm
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby heimdall » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:41 am

NANNY RED wrote:
heimdall wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:
red_guy wrote:
bigmick wrote:
Effes wrote:
bigmick wrote:
Effes wrote:
GYBS wrote:Teams on the continent have sacked managers for winnings leagues and failing in the CL - Barce have done it ,Madrid have done it , AC Milan have done it and going by reports it looks like Inter may well do it this season . CL is the one they all want

real Madrid sacked Del Bosque when he won the League AND the Champs League

:laugh: Unlucky GYBS mate. It does seem a bit harsh though feck me. You win the title AND the Champions League and get the sack?

He won 2 Champs Leagues with them.

That's when the Gaalctico bollox set in I think.

Top man.

Whats he up to now?

he's the current spain coach.

Is correct hes Spains manager

An Saint is right an all about friction in the dressing room. Any manager who gets on the wrong side of that Raul an Gutti an it was Hierro at that time an all is a gonna.

That Raul although hes only a player has alot of say in what goes on at that club. He is a god to the fans an most of the directors an all especialy that Perez who was the president then, An it could look like him standing again in the next elections. You only have to look at what they done to Capello the fans hated his defensive style of play an so did them two players ive mentioned, He was successful but then they jibbed him an all,

Not to have a go at Rafa but it makes you wonder how successful he would be as Real Madrid manager, he's not really known for expansive entertaining football is he.

An niether is Mourinio so that put that one to bed an all dont it :laugh: Its political war games with that club, you have to have a degree in politics even before you think of becoming a manager :laugh:

Mind you Doest Rafa play them war games all that Statergy an that :laugh:

As I said, that was not intended as a dig at Rafa and Maureen would probably have the same problems. To be honest I don't understand why any manager would go to Real Madrid apart from that with a bit of luck you always stand a damned good chance of adding La Liga champions to your CV
heimdall

Postby heimdall » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:42 am

stmichael wrote:"We have the best record in Europe over the last five years, yet some messages coming my way are not the best.

"The facts are there to see. Anyone can see what I have done here," he said.

He does like to have a bit of a moan doesn't he, I think he'd like this forum.  :wwww
heimdall

Postby loopyliverpool » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:43 am

We are apparently seeded Nos.1 in Europe and Rafa wants more recognition for this extraordinary feat! Iam always curious on how they work these things out because if they did it on league positions we would be lucky to get third best in England! This is not to knock Rafa's unmitigated success in Europe I just wish he could do it in the league too.
loopyliverpool

Postby GRAHAM01 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:49 am

loopyliverpool wrote:We are apparently seeded Nos.1 in Europe and Rafa wants more recognition for this extraordinary feat! Iam always curious on how they work these things out because if they did it on league positions we would be lucky to get third best in England! This is not to knock Rafa's unmitigated success in Europe I just wish he could do it in the league too.

it is done on how you have faired in the champ league over the last 5 years so are record shows through when they do the seeding
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yolz » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:05 am

I would have to say that it would be a satisfactory season
We could argue all day about what the standards of a "good season" may be,
but let's face it, we're Liverpool
And although this may sound as if I'm living in the past glory days, we were once kings of Europe and England, year in and year out
From where I come from, everyone's raving about Man U coz they've been in the limelight dominating everything
We should be just as big, if not bigger as a club than Man U
Due to the fact that past managers didn't really bring in much silverware, Rafa has been lauded as doing a decent job so far
But let's not forget how long he has been on the helm
I would have expected, hoped for and dreamed that he would have rebuilt the Reds,
a team that would dominate both domestically and in Europe as well
However, I feel that Rafa has his priorities in winning something, or anything, rather than actually building an unstoppable team that we were once before
There has been so much debate over how much we have spent, versus how much other big clubs have spent also
But the present Man U is dominating not becuase they have spent fortunes on snapping up good players, but becuase the core of the team has been playing together for so long now
There is a chemisry and a maturity in their play
While I'm hoping for a win come Sat at Old Traffold, (And I think it's fully possible)
I look forward to the day when Liverpool has a team that will enjoy the successes of the 80's
And that day will only come when we start building the team from the core once again
The only True Reds in england...........
yolz

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion