Champions league - Would it be enough?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sir Roger » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:14 pm

heimdall wrote:
GYBS wrote:More people around the world and europe will recognise who the winners of the CL are and they are the team people will talk about - IMO

Can't argue with that but what's your point, do you really care what other fans think about Liverpool because I don't.

Maybe hes saying what Rafa is thinking:

"I dont really care as much about being English champions as I do about being European champions.
More people will recognise me for being a great manajer if I win the CL again. The Premier league is not so important, no?"
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby DAV » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:45 pm

I'm not one of RB's biggest fans at the moment. However no team can sack a manager if they win the champions league.
I hope we win it and sticking to what i just said i guess i kind of hope rafa stays.

Do i think another season of RAFA will bring the title or even another 5 seasons for that matter. The answer is no.
So again going by what i just wrote i hope he leaves at the end of the season.

That makes no sense i no.
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:55 pm

DAV wrote:I'm not one of RB's biggest fans at the moment. However no team can sack a manager if they win the champions league.

I think teams have done it on the continent, but I agree it would be a bit out there. Really for me the question is a fairly rhetorical one, because I've no doubts whatsoever that Rafa will still be the manager for at least the next couple of seasons, whether we win the Champions League or not.

Although I've made my feelings on him clear enough, I personally think it would be daft to base the decision on whether to keep him on our Champions League prowess this season (and by that I mean daft to sack if you previously weren't going to, just because we lose one tie). You can't sayif we were to lose against Madrid "ah feck it, get rid then" because as everyone knows, he is a top manager in the Champions League format. One result isn't going to change that, and nor should it. people who believe in him will continue to do so, and I think the two owners are in that camp.

If you've lost beleif/faith/ability to be a real fan/will to live etc then Rafa proving once again that he's excellent over two legs in Europe doesn't change that. You knew that before you chucked the towel in.

My prediction is that we'll get to the semi finals (at least) where there will be two other English teams. We'll draw whichever one of them isn't Man Utd, and in order to win it we'll need to beat probably Chelsea and Man Utd again.

Rafa will keep his job, and we'll see how we go in the league next season.
Last edited by bigmick on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:16 pm

Flight wrote:How have we gone from the Best Fans in the World, to the Most Unrealistic in such a short time ?

Moores, Parry and Ged  very nearly took us to being consigned to being a mid table team.

We have the best first 11 we have had in two decades.
After four years under Rafa we are now the number one ranked team in Europe by EUFA for the first time since 1985 and Heysel.

We've been top this term for a few months but don't have the squad to maintain it.

Fantasy Football like dream lists of manager and players who we should have, when the reality is the club is presently having to find £30million a year to pay debts before we can spend anything.

Best Fans in the World, my :censored:.

Welcome to the War fella ,appreciate your views .  :D
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby DAV » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:19 pm

:D
so have hull
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:44 am

Teams on the continent have sacked managers for winnings leagues and failing in the CL - Barce have done it ,Madrid have done it , AC Milan have done it and going by reports it looks like Inter may well do it this season . CL is the one they all want
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:54 am

GYBS wrote:Teams on the continent have sacked managers for winnings leagues and failing in the CL - Barce have done it ,Madrid have done it , AC Milan have done it and going by reports it looks like Inter may well do it this season . CL is the one they all want

real Madrid sacked Del Bosque when he won the League AND the Champs League
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:58 am

Yeah del Bosque got treated badly by madrid and could never understand why as he was winning everything with them and getting the galacticos playing together - from what i remember apparently he wasnt attacking enough and the fans didnt like him ?!?!?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:34 am

Effes wrote:
GYBS wrote:Teams on the continent have sacked managers for winnings leagues and failing in the CL - Barce have done it ,Madrid have done it , AC Milan have done it and going by reports it looks like Inter may well do it this season . CL is the one they all want

:laugh: Unlucky GYBS mate. It does seem a bit harsh though feck me. You win the title AND the Champions League and get the sack?

They talk about fans on here being knee jerkers but that is absolutely unbelieveable. No English club would ever sack a manager who won either I don't think, in fact I'm sure of it.

Despite everything, I'm actually quite heartened that we are offering a new contract to our manager. Even though I don't actually agree with the decision, I do applaud the loyalty and lack of knee-jerkery. There's no doubt in my mind that in general, continuity over constantly changing the manager is the best way to go.
Last edited by bigmick on Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:46 am

From what I vaguely remember of Del Bosque, it was more about the political set up at Madrid than his talents as a manager that ended their relationship. (He wasn't sacked, they just didn't renew his contract)

He was complaining that he had no control over transfers and that the directors (?) were even influencing the team selection. I think there was a split within the team as well which led some very influential players to take sides both for and against him.

I don't think it had anything to do with his success/failure as a manager that his contract wasn't renewed, just club politics.
account deleted by request

Postby taff » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:48 am

If you get sacked winning the league and champions league what happens to the managers of teams that get relegated :D

Probably get Bigmick writing about them  :D
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:02 am

taff wrote:If you get sacked winning the league and champions league what happens to the managers of teams that get relegated :D

Probably get Bigmick writing about them  :D

:laugh:
Mate - it's quite sad really - here I am sat at my comp at 1am, laughing my head off.
Nice one.
Last edited by Effes on Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:05 am

s@int wrote:From what I vaguely remember of Del Bosque, it was more about the political set up at Madrid than his talents as a manager that ended their relationship. (He wasn't sacked, they just didn't renew his contract)

cmon statto mate  :D  - you saying after what he did, he wasn't "sacked".

You're Terry Technical - sure you're not a ticket inspector or something s@int?

Mate, if you win the League and Champs League and don't get your contract renewed - you are sacked.

Did you google that to confirm?

:D  Sorry mate, on my 2nd bottle of Rioja
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:19 am

Effes wrote:
s@int wrote:From what I vaguely remember of Del Bosque, it was more about the political set up at Madrid than his talents as a manager that ended their relationship. (He wasn't sacked, they just didn't renew his contract)

cmon statto mate  :D  - you saying after what he did, he wasn't "sacked".

You're Terry Technical - sure you're not a ticket inspector or something s@int?

Mate, if you win the League and Champs League and don't get your contract renewed - you are sacked.

Did you google that to confirm?

:D  Sorry mate, on my 2nd bottle of Rioja

:D  My point wasn't really that he wasn't sacked, but that he left because of other reasons than football ones. i.e. they didn't say "you only won the CL and the Title mate ..... your out."

I don't think he was sacked but my memories not what it once was mate so I may be wrong about that ?
account deleted by request

Postby Effes » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:19 am

bigmick wrote:
Effes wrote:

:laugh: Unlucky GYBS mate. It does seem a bit harsh though feck me. You win the title AND the Champions League and get the sack?

He won 2 Champs Leagues with them.

That's when the Gaalctico bollox set in I think.

Top man.
Last edited by Effes on Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion