Champions league - Would it be enough?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Emerald Red » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:08 pm

Daft question.

If any other manager on the planet won the CL and nothing else in a season, then it would be hailed as an amazing achievement and the press would suck that managers plums royally, and so would most other clubs coveting a decent manager. If Rafa gets to another final, then he's done what no other manager in the league has ever done in his first five seasons. That's nothing to be scoffed at. Just ask Fergie. He'd be spitting grapes if that happened. I mean, what - it only took him 23 years to get to two finals.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:17 pm

redbeergoggles wrote:I would love another CL victory of course, but as a club we In comparison to( "A night of glory in Rome ")good name for a dvd that .   :D

The "3 Nights in Rome" triple DVD Box Set, released in time for the Xmas market, is top of the list for my Santa requests.

Features all 3 wins:
Rome 1977
Rome 1984
Rome 2009
special bonus dvd "Owen's night in Rome"

:D
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby supersub » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:23 pm

Just noticed

Rome  25th May 1977.........18 years later
Istanbul 25th May 2005

Paris   27th May 1981.........18 years later
Rome  27th May  2009

It's in the stars  :laugh:
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby redbeergoggles » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:28 pm

Thats a present my daughter could order of play.com ,thats three dvds I would never get back of our kid ...  :D
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:29 pm

Emerald Red wrote:If Rafa gets to another final, then he's done what no other manager in the league has ever done in his first five seasons. That's nothing to be scoffed at. Just ask Fergie. He'd be spitting grapes if that happened. I mean, what - it only took him 23 years to get to two finals.

If he gets to the final and doesn't win it is that good enough?

Three years without a trophy that'd be.

Maybe a better question is if we don't win the CL this season, have we had a good season?  Assuming of course that we aren't able to catch United in the league.  We have of course been knocked out of the domestic cups and have been realistically out of the title race by the start of March.  Despite this would getting to the final of the CL without winning it mean we've had a good season?  Personally I don't think so.

My take is that unless we either put a decent run together in the league, finish in second and maybe get a bit closer to United by the end of the season, OR win the CL then it is a poor season representing very little, if any, progress from last.  Getting to the final of the CL, losing it, and finishing 3rd or 4th in the league is a bad season imo, especially considering the position we were in at Christmas.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:30 pm

seems there is a very thin line between great season and poor season then - no inbetween ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:33 pm

supersub wrote:
redbeergoggles wrote:I would love another CL victory of course, but as a club we In comparison to( "A night of glory in Rome ")good name for a dvd that .   :D

The "3 Nights in Rome" triple DVD Box Set, released in time for the Xmas market, is top of the list for my Santa requests.

Features all 3 wins:
Rome 1977
Rome 1984
Rome 2009
special bonus dvd "Owen's night in Rome"

:D

What about the title Everything you wanted to know about Six but where afraid to ask  :D
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby redbeergoggles » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:35 pm

Or for our Blue nose neighbours, Six in the city  :D
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:39 pm

GYBS wrote:seems there is a very thin line between great season and poor season then - no inbetween ?

Thin line between success and failure mate.

IMO winning the CL would be a great season, not winning it but getting second in the league and closing the gap on United would be a good season, anything else would be a poor season.  I'm sure opinions will vary.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:42 pm

Yeah will agree on the getting second to the mancs would be a good season - third and decreasing the gap to the winner would be a decent improvement - win the cl and it would be an amazing season cause we would of won old big ears for a six time .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:54 pm

john craig wrote:I suspect opinions will vary on this, but I pose the question that even if we managed to win the Champions League and came in 2nd or 3rd in the league, would you regard it as a good season?

Duh, of course it would be a successful season.  You'd have to be a complete moron to think otherwise.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby GYBS » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:55 pm

Yeah it will be a successful season - but will it be enough for people to want to keep rafa >?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:03 pm

ruskiy playmaker wrote:
john craig wrote:I suspect opinions will vary on this, but I pose the question that even if we managed to win the Champions League and came in 2nd or 3rd in the league, would you regard it as a good season?

Duh, of course it would be a successful season.  You'd have to be a complete moron to think otherwise.

Thanks for your insightful input into the thread...

...di.ckhead :laugh:
Last edited by JC_81 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Flight » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:08 pm

How have we gone from the Best Fans in the World, to the Most Unrealistic in such a short time ?

Moores, Parry and Ged  very nearly took us to being consigned to being a mid table team.

We have the best first 11 we have had in two decades.
After four years under Rafa we are now the number one ranked team in Europe by EUFA for the first time since 1985 and Heysel.

We've been top this term for a few months but don't have the squad to maintain it.

Fantasy Football like dream lists of manager and players who we should have, when the reality is the club is presently having to find £30million a year to pay debts before we can spend anything.

Best Fans in the World, my :censored:.
Flight

Postby redsince2001 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:50 pm

obviously it'll be enough ...........
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion