Can we win the League title with our current squad - Yes or No?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Can we win the premier league title with our curre - Yes or no?

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes : 84

Postby KOPMATT » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:57 pm

Yes ofcourse we can but.................................................................................
KOPMATT

Postby Madmax » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:31 pm

The pressure will be on now with mannure giving chelsea a good thumping. I could see mannure only getting better now and going on a really good run. Now is the time that will tell if we really have got the ambition and balls to win. Will see if we could cope with the pressure. To be honest if we continue to drop more points against the dire sides i really doubt we will win the prem.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:42 am

having watched us draw against stoke, then watched mautd run riot against chelsea, i maintain my position in thinking that

a) we dont have the manager to win the league
b) while being good enough, our squad isnt outstanding and will always struggle to dominate sides especially with all the rotation and formation changing week in week out.

its all about making the right decisions at the right time... rafa has yet and again showed us that he isnt capable/willing to take that one more step, that extra gamble to try and put us in a better position.. we'r top of the league on borrowed time atm.. we'll need to step it up big time against BOTH the smaller teams AND the big teams from here on to win it... id rather we go out and LOSE more games in trying to win them than drawing and accepting the fact that 1 point MIGHT or MOGHT NOT be good enough for us to keep that top position... theres still plenty to go in the league, and the way we'r going about things atm, i wouldnt be surprised if we end up 3rd with little challenge for top spot come the end of the season...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:43 pm

Lets consider one very simple fact:

"For Man Utd to lose the league either 1.They´re past their best and on the decline allowing a team of lesser ability to overcome them and win the league, or 2. That LFC have become better than the current Man Utd team and win the league based on pure merit."

Now I DO NOT believe Man Utd have peaked.  Fergietwat runs a very tight ship and they are still a very strong force in English and european football and will remain so for another 3 years at least so for Liverpool to win it must be by playing better footy and an element of luck both in our own results and against the key favourites - and Chelsea are sure obliging!

Rafa is the right man for the job but first he has to win the league and that is a massive job and completely unknown territory for anyone outside Fergie and Wenger. Think about it.
Add to that the fact we´re as always now, trying to juggle 30 balls in the air vis-a-vis the owners, stadium, players not performing and injuries, its a mamouth task.

Rafa is undoubtedly getting there, the team is undoubtedly getting there, but to knock Man Utd off their perch when they are playing on top form and NOT in decline is the mother of all jobs.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lewerty » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:37 pm

no we need some pacey players on the wing who can pass the ball, and some players who can come from the bench and change the game unlike kuyt,lucas and benni
lewerty

Postby GYBS » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:14 pm

yes we still can win the league .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:21 pm

Can we win the league title with our current squad? Perhaps the question should be extended to with our current tactics/manager since that seems to be influential. Maybe if we picked more suitable line-ups when some key players are absent, the manager made a bit more of tactics and didn't seemingly deliberately ignore a striker he forked out a lot of money for, then our chances would be even greater.

We seem to have become a side VERY rarely beaten, but unable to win enough games to be title favourites

07/08 P38 W21 D13 L4 PTS 76
08/09 P21 W13 D7 L1 PTS 46

So we've lost just five league games in the last 59 (8.47%) drawn around a third (33.90%) and won 57.63%. With the players we have got we should be winning more games that we're drawing. We should lose less games than we did last season, BUT I fear we will drop too many points through draws where the mancs would/will win. They've won 68.42% of their last 57 games, at the respective win rates of the two sides they would pick up an extra TWELVE points over the course of 38 games just through winning more often and that is nigh impossible to make up through draws. We make dents in that advantage through losing less often, but not a big one (ended eleven points behind last season)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alex G. » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:23 pm

I´m loyalty and I think we can, but it´s fair to say that Manchester have better players. probably this is the best Manchester of the last 15 years, even Ferguson said recently that this is his best team since he´s the manager. Ronaldo, Rooney, Berbatov, Tevez, Giggs - Torres, keane, Kuyt, Riera, Benayoun.
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:27 pm

They have weaknesses, sadly most of the teams - and they make up most of the games - are incapable of exploiting them. Most sides would settle for a point home or away against the 'big four', it's the sides that can win week in, week out that win titles. We simply don't score enough goals, Torres and Gerrard will score their fair share, Kuyt has chipped in a reasonable share, but the mancs simply have so many scoring options as you list and can even afford to leave one on the bench.

And when the usual suspects don't score, the likes of Vidic, Fletcher, Scholes, Park etc weigh in with goals. They carry threats from virtually every position, do we carry as much (goal) threat through Carra, Aurelio, Mascherano, Benayoun, Lucas, and even Alonso and Riera?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Avi Cohen » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:39 pm

Yes, but it depends on how they're played.

Old Man Giggs, Dirk Park, Jessica Fletcher and Ronaldo's Adam's Apple ran a Chelsea midfield consisting of Ballack, Deco, Lampard and Jo Cole ragged at the weekend.

Quality comes into it, but how they're played is equally important.
AND HERE COMES AVI COHEN!! OH I SAY - AT THE SAME END HE'S GOT ONE BACK!!!!!!!!!!
Avi Cohen

Postby Raffmaker » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:47 am

Rafa's negative formations will be the undoing of us.

He always plays four defenders, two holding midfielders, two wingers then gerrard and keane/torres. even at home!

why not go for a daring 4-4-2, or a brazillian 4-3-3 for once.!

when UTd come to Anfield, they always play 4-3-3!!!

pain in the jacksie all of this negative formations, as if we are scared to get beat!
Raffmaker

Postby justyna » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:31 pm

We will win!
justyna

Postby peterc1992 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:53 pm

Thewaykokid wrote:
DanAn wrote:
Thewaykokid wrote:
Owzat wrote:
Thewaykokid wrote:it appears i have F@rked the title, its meant to say "can we win the premier league with our current squad?"

Should have reduced "premier league title" to "league", I think we'd all get which league.

Anyway, I don't see how the question that has been posed in various forms over the past weeks/months has changed any. We were all basing our title speculation on the current squad, I don't believe (m)any were basing it on us signing Villa, Barry, Simao, Heskey, Glen Johnson etc in January.

Funnily enough I was just going to that story link to post the story, just as well I checked this thread first. Someone else may still post it as a separate story.

Can we win the league? Of course we can, match Man Utd and Chelsea's results/points until the end of the season and we're top. 'Can' isn't really the issue, at the start of a season anyone 'can' win the league if they play well enough over 38 games

Will we win the league? Hard to say right now, the mancs are two games in hand to catch up to within a point and we have to play them away*. I believe Arsenal were top this time last year, the serious title contenders remain in it until the latter quarter of the season and we're not there yet. If we're still there with 8-10 games to go then I'd say we're as good, or near enough, as anyone else in the league and have a chance.

*I've said this plenty of times, the reason being it could prove to be extremely important. That game away could be pivotal to the title race.

i can understand where you're coming from, i mean, the question has been posed a lot. My question was more into looking at the depth of our squad, like as in can we afford to play babel, lucas and benayoun as subs when chelsea have the advantage of replacing drogba with anelka, or kalou for joe cole, or any which way you see it, chelsea and partially manure have these world class players on their bench and im not sure when the champions league and such kick in we will have the squad depth to keep up.

I reckon that's bollox though. Looking at the lists we are no that far behind:

Torres = Drogba
Anelka > Keane
Kalou = Kuyt
Babel = Kalouda 

Gerrard = Lampard
Alonso = Ballack
Masherano = Essien
Obi Mikel > Lucas 
Deco > Benayoun
Cole = Riera

Carragher = Terry
Skrttle < Carvalho
Agger > Alex
Hyppia > Mancienne

Arbeloa < Bosingwa
Aureleo < Cole
Degen <  Belletti
Insua = Ferriera

The only place IMO chelsea have significantly better players is in the fullback positions. I think there depth extrodinary depth compared to us is a bit of a myth.

Get your point there, but i think your list is a bit.....optimistic  :D . Come on, Joe Cole and Riera equal? I mean, personal opinions first and even though i like Riera i think Joe Cole is all over him.

lol, i lik ur mixture of malouda and kalou??  :p

Dont agree wit saying Anelka better than Kean...and i also think that Torres  is better than Drogba... Gerrard is twice the player Lampard is :p
emlyn hughes:"liverpool are magic,everton are tragic"
peterc1992
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:05 pm

peterc1992 wrote:Dont agree wit saying Anelka better than Keane

I'd say Anelka is way better than Keane
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:06 pm

would say anelka is a better goalscorer than keane .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion