The team this term - Like the alliteration?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Rafa D » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:34 pm

(I don't know whether this derserves a whole new thread but I cannot find a suitable thread to discuss the whole team, sure there is individual threads but not one to discuss the whole team)

This season has been a bit of a let down for me to be honest. Its up and down. The highs are obviously beating Barcelona and Chelsea for the first time in the league since Rafa took charge, but there has also been far too many lows, with both United games, Bolton, Boro and a whole host of other inept away performances. Our start was woeful yet again.

We were all chatting this time last year about how the right signings could transform us into title challengers. The signings came in and unfortunetly we were unable to take the much fabled "next step". I know in another thread we are talking about the possible signings for next year, but I don't want to discuss that here, firstly because there's no second guessing rafa and frankly I don't have a clue who we will sign. Here I want to find out what everyone thinks of the current squad, who has performed, who has let down, who could be gone from the club in the summer etc.

I'll start:

Reina - Pepe for me is going to be our number 1 for a very long time. He was brilliant in his first season and a major reason for the run of clean sheets. The defence had confidence in him and that spread throughout the team. This season he actually started where he left off in the F.A Cup Final - looking shaky. He was the victim of some bad refereeing but he looked out of sorts and it was well publicised. He has come back strong and I have every confidence in him in our goal. His distribution is the best I have ever seen from a keeper. He is always looking to get the ball out quickly and start the team off on a counter attack. His shot stopping is sound and his decision making is spot on. Some people criticise his aerial ability when collecting crosses and his insistence on punching the ball, but its only minor and Rafa is the person who insists on the punching of the ball. He is our No1 and i expect him to be for a very long time.

Finnan - Mr Consistency. He has not hit the heights of last year but he has been a stalwart in the defence and to be honest I cannot remember him putting a foot wrong. His ability with both feet make him a dangerous right back and I fully expect him to start next year again as first choice whoever Rafa brings in.

Carragher - Probably the start of the season was the worse I have seen Carragher play in the whole of the last 2 yearse was always Mr Dependable but at the start he looked short of match fitness and was making silly mistakes. He has improved as the season went on and has been absolutely brilliant in some games - Barca - but I feel Carra will have to start stronger next year. He has set the bar and has to meet it - I have no doubt that he will.

Agger - He has took Sami's place in the team and that in itself is an incredible acheivement. A few people here were questioning last year after the Fulham game when he got shackled and pushed about quite a bit, but its obvious he has worked hard on the physical side of his game and has been rewarded for it this season. His football ability has never been in doubt and I think he is showing all the signs of a possible great defender for us. Next season could be something special for Mr Agger and Liverpool - he's my one to watch.

Hypia - Sami's swansong this year? I think this is the last season we will see Sami starting as regularly as he has. His footballing brain is second to none, but the legs are going and its starting to show. He has not played as much as he would of liked but I am pretty sure Rafa will keep him for another year as a stand in in case of injuries, suspensions etc. But I don't expect him to figure half as much as he has this year. He has made few mistakes but theres better players at  the club now.

Riise - The subject of fierce debate this year among many fans. He form for the last 5 years has been indifferent and I am quite confident that most fans will agree, he has not performed as well this year as last. His positional sense has been found out a few times this year - Newcastle (a), Blackburn (a) and he has been a bit of a letdown for me defensively. His attacking play has been fine and has chipped in with some vital goals but I feel we do and should expect a lot more from Riise and I hope next year he improves.

Aurelio - The boy from Brazil was a bit of joke at the start of the season. He looked lost against Maccabi and looked scared in the horrible 3 - 0 derby loss. He has struggled all season for fitness but he has shown glimpses of what he is capable of, his crossing and passing is exceptional. Next year will determine if he is a Liverpool player for much longer - he has to step up.

Luis Garcia - I am a big fan of Luis Garcia. I know he can be annoying and lose possession cheaply but I always thought there was space for him in our team but this year he simply has not performed to the standard required.

Pennant - Not for me this lad, he may be able to change my mind before the end of the season but from what I have seen so far, he is never going to be capable of making that right wing slot his own week in, week out. Possible summer leaver.

Gerrard - Captain Fantastic last year - Captain Ordinary this year. We have come to expect so much more of Stevie, maybe unfairly but I dont feel he has come anywhere near the heights of the previous 2 seasons this year. Is it because of burn out or because he does not stand out as much with the strength of this squad? i don't know but he has not been at his best much this year - the baby rumours didn't help.

Xabi Alonso - Terrible start, terrible, terrible start. Some blamed the World Cup but thats not an excuse for me. He's a professional footballer and his start was woeful. Some on here were suggesting selling him earlier on in the year! Rubbish but he has not hit the heights like the previous years.

Sissoko - Our balling winning destroyer. One of the few players to actually come out of the poor start to the season with some credit. He gives his all in matches and it was disapointing to lose him again because of a freak injury. Has dipped in form since he came back but I feel his match sharpness is not just there yet.

Gonzalez - Why all the hype?

Fowler - Fowlers last year for us has not gone as he would of planned. He has not been treated fairly by Rafa and has scored when given the chance. He is just not good enough anymore. Defo leaving.

Crouch - I said at the start of the year I was expecting Peter to finish top scorer and I still think he will. However I feel he has been slightly under used and I feel Rafa's rotation policy affected him a lot earlier on in the year. Why Rafa decided to rotate him when he was bangin them in is anyones guess. I was made up for him with his hattrick and I hope he finishes this season as he finished last years.

Kuyt - Workhorse and already an Anfield favourite. His debut was brilliant and at times he has looked awesome but I feel he has not been as good as he can be, next year is a big test and I hope we see the best from Dirk then.

Bellamy - Closely followed Pennant for my let down of the season. However unlike Pennant i don't feel it is all entirely his fault. The courtcase, the rotation and the controversy around him have affected his game and I don't feel we have seen anything from Bellamy that another 20 odd strikers in the Premiership could of done. Big season for him next year unless Rafa has decided his ship has already sailed?
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:13 pm

A while ago a thread was started to make a review of this season and you said you'd wait a lil bit more, well here it is and I must say it's a well thought analysis.

If I have to say a global opinion, I'd agree 80% of what you say. It's pointless to discuss about what I agree so I'll give you a couple of doubts so that you give me your view.
In the case of Bellamy I can't say I think he's the guy that we need for LFC. I wouldn't say he let me down, he's just a decent player, tough worker, but he lacks some quality for a club like this.

In the case of the captain, I don't think he's been ordinary. He's been a hell of a footballer for me. But we come from an extraordinary season with 23 goals. Which is not normal whatsoever. If you compare to a season of 23 goals any season might seem ordinary. Plus, he's been playing more as an attacking centre midfielder. By this I mean that IMHO that position is a hell lot more difficult than the right midfielder one. You have less freedom. You have to control lots of balls back to the oposition goal and turn with the ball. You're much more tightly marked than in the wing. FWIW playing that position is a lot more complicated that's why I think he's not been ordinary but good.

The last point I disagree is the Pennant-Gonzo one. I'd give them one season more :).

Other than that I agree quite much your assesment, perhaps I'd give more credit to Alonso, bit worse than last season but not miles worse. Quite simply it's impossible to get such a good defensive record if you play a formation of 2 strikers and your ONLY holding midfielder is not good enough.

The season? not that it's been a disaster. The problem is that in summer we had lots of expectations and now it seems a bit dissapointing. The most dissapointing point for me has been the FA cup.

Good post Rafa.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:19 pm

Sabre doesn't miss a trick does he? :D

I hope your right about Gonzo and Pennant, I really do but I just cannot see them making themselves first team regulars like Alonso or Gerrard. You have seen a lot more of Mark than me but from what I have seen - he played a lot better in La Liga than here. I hope I am wrong on them 2 though mate.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:46 pm

Not a bad analysis Mr Dodd, I'd agree with most things.

I agree about Reina and Carra having poor starts to the season and then showing their real quality with the way they've turned things around. I also agree that Agger has done very well this season, but he still has some way to go to reach the level Sami did at his peak.

You're right in saying Alonso's had a poor season.  Good player but I still maintain that most on here over-rate him slightly and I don't think he's irreplaceable should a silly money bid for him come in from Spain.  Sissoko's also a good player and I think a lot of the criticism he's taken has actually been Benitez's fault, because he's played him in the wrong games.  There are games you need Sissoko and games you don't.  Gerrard has been under par this season, but I still maintain it's because he's been shifted all over the midfield and hasn't been able to settle - again Benitez's fault - and this has disrupted the midfield as a whole.

Up front I think only Kuyt is safe from the chop this summer, Benitez has shown a clear preference for him.  Fowler's not been used so I assume he'll be leaving and I still think one of Crouch/Bellamy will be leaving, with Crouch the more likely.  I have to say though his performance at the weekend was awesome, maybe he's given Rafa something to think about.

Pennant I'd give another season to.  He has the talent, just hasn't been consistent.  Gonzalez but I'm sorry I don't think will ever win me over, I'd get rid or at the very least loan out to another English side for a season.

My predictions for who'll be on their way? (by the way this is what I think Benitez will do, not what I'd necessarily do myself)

Dudek - out of contract
Zenden - please someone take him
Fowler - unfortunately I can't see him being kept on
Crouch/Bellamy - I think one will go, not sure which one and I think it will depend what type of striker we are able to sign in the summer
I don't think there's any way back for our senior players currently on loan (Le Tallec, Pongolle, Cisse etc), perhaps with the exception of Carson

The following players I'd get rid of but I don't think Benitez will:

Carson - we'd get decent money and I just don't rate him, he flatters to deceive
Gonzalez - see above
I haven't made my mind up about Aurelio either, he's looked a bit better recently, I'll reserve judgement until the end of the season.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:44 pm

Finnan - Mr Consistency. He has not hit the heights of last year but he has been a stalwart in the defence and to be honest I cannot remember him putting a foot wrong. His ability with both feet make him a dangerous right back and I fully expect him to start next year again as first choice whoever Rafa brings in.

He did mess up against Aston Villa in 0-0 draw...  :D

I don't think he is a dangerous right back, He is a good defender and a consistant preformance, but he is often slow and gets outmuscled in some games. If Rafa brings Alves, I don't think finnan will be a first choice right back, if Alves proves his class in premiership. It will be hard for finnan to start every game next year.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:48 pm

I don't think he is a dangerous right back, He is a good defender and a consistant preformance, but he is often slow and gets outmuscled in some games. If Rafa brings Alves, I don't think finnan will be a first choice right back, if Alves proves his class in premiership. It will be hard for finnan to start every game next year.

It's going to be very complicated to bring Alves mate. Very difficult I'm afraid as far as I'm reading here.

I have total confidence in Finnan, there's lack of good RB in Europe and he's a good one. Arbeloa is more a "marker", a more defensive player, this modern defender that marks well and is quick enough to play as a R/L B. Finnan likes to go up a bit more, not enough for some posters that I've read here, but enough for me. I'm very pleased with his performance.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:00 pm

Sabre wrote:

It's going to be very complicated to bring Alves mate. Very difficult I'm afraid as far as I'm reading here.

I have total confidence in Finnan, there's lack of good RB in Europe and he's a good one. Arbeloa is more a "marker", a more defensive player, this modern defender that marks well and is quick enough to play as a R/L B. Finnan likes to go up a bit more, not enough for some posters that I've read here, but enough for me. I'm very pleased with his performance.

Really? i dont think finnan goes forward enough, but he delivers some good crosses. I think is really overrated by some liverpool fans and underrated by neutral fans. I hear liverpool fans say he is "world class", "amazing", "outstanding player" etc... Which i basically disagree! he lacks some elements in his game, for example he is slow, he isn't very agile, sometimes he is exposed (Villa 0-0 game) and not agressive enough. But he is one hell of a crosser, tackler and a consistant preformer.

I think he is a good defender, who deservedley so earned his place in the liverpool lineup when Rafa came into management.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:11 am

You're right in saying Alonso's had a poor season.  Good player but I still maintain that most on here over-rate him slightly and I don't think he's irreplaceable should a silly money bid for him come in from Spain

He may slightly be overated, but we'd miss him IMO the holes would soon appear and we'd be left realising why. Alonso has had an average season but alot of his work comes off the ball, his awareness and positonal play is top notch. And when he's on the ball well, I havent seen a better passer of the ball than Jan Molby. The fact that he is a deep lying playemaker is good, but I'd like to see him pulling the strings further upfield on  occasions. He could be a little more positive ahead of him especially if he's playing alongside the Argie. I'd still take him over Mascha at the moment.
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby metalhead » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:08 pm

Sabre, i was wrong about finnan, he goes forward alot, he was like that today against psv. :D

Brilliant again
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu.Murph » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:10 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:(I don't know whether this derserves a whole new thread but I cannot find a suitable thread to discuss the whole team, sure there is individual threads but not one to discuss the whole team)

This season has been a bit of a let down for me to be honest. Its up and down. The highs are obviously beating Barcelona and Chelsea for the first time in the league since Rafa took charge, but there has also been far too many lows, with both United games, Bolton, Boro and a whole host of other inept away performances. Our start was woeful yet again.

We were all chatting this time last year about how the right signings could transform us into title challengers. The signings came in and unfortunetly we were unable to take the much fabled "next step". I know in another thread we are talking about the possible signings for next year, but I don't want to discuss that here, firstly because there's no second guessing rafa and frankly I don't have a clue who we will sign. Here I want to find out what everyone thinks of the current squad, who has performed, who has let down, who could be gone from the club in the summer etc.

I'll start:

Reina - Pepe for me is going to be our number 1 for a very long time. He was brilliant in his first season and a major reason for the run of clean sheets. The defence had confidence in him and that spread throughout the team. This season he actually started where he left off in the F.A Cup Final - looking shaky. He was the victim of some bad refereeing but he looked out of sorts and it was well publicised. He has come back strong and I have every confidence in him in our goal. His distribution is the best I have ever seen from a keeper. He is always looking to get the ball out quickly and start the team off on a counter attack. His shot stopping is sound and his decision making is spot on. Some people criticise his aerial ability when collecting crosses and his insistence on punching the ball, but its only minor and Rafa is the person who insists on the punching of the ball. He is our No1 and i expect him to be for a very long time.

Carragher - Probably the start of the season was the worse I have seen Carragher play in the whole of the last 2 yearse was always Mr Dependable but at the start he looked short of match fitness and was making silly mistakes. He has improved as the season went on and has been absolutely brilliant in some games - Barca - but I feel Carra will have to start stronger next year. He has set the bar and has to meet it - I have no doubt that he will.

Agger - He has took Sami's place in the team and that in itself is an incredible acheivement. A few people here were questioning last year after the Fulham game when he got shackled and pushed about quite a bit, but its obvious he has worked hard on the physical side of his game and has been rewarded for it this season. His football ability has never been in doubt and I think he is showing all the signs of a possible great defender for us. Next season could be something special for Mr Agger and Liverpool - he's my one to watch.

Hypia - Sami's swansong this year? I think this is the last season we will see Sami starting as regularly as he has. His footballing brain is second to none, but the legs are going and its starting to show. He has not played as much as he would of liked but I am pretty sure Rafa will keep him for another year as a stand in in case of injuries, suspensions etc. But I don't expect him to figure half as much as he has this year. He has made few mistakes but theres better players at  the club now.

Riise - The subject of fierce debate this year among many fans. He form for the last 5 years has been indifferent and I am quite confident that most fans will agree, he has not performed as well this year as last. His positional sense has been found out a few times this year - Newcastle (a), Blackburn (a) and he has been a bit of a letdown for me defensively. His attacking play has been fine and has chipped in with some vital goals but I feel we do and should expect a lot more from Riise and I hope next year he improves.

Aurelio - The boy from Brazil was a bit of joke at the start of the season. He looked lost against Maccabi and looked scared in the horrible 3 - 0 derby loss. He has struggled all season for fitness but he has shown glimpses of what he is capable of, his crossing and passing is exceptional. Next year will determine if he is a Liverpool player for much longer - he has to step up.

Luis Garcia - I am a big fan of Luis Garcia. I know he can be annoying and lose possession cheaply but I always thought there was space for him in our team but this year he simply has not performed to the standard required.

Pennant - Not for me this lad, he may be able to change my mind before the end of the season but from what I have seen so far, he is never going to be capable of making that right wing slot his own week in, week out. Possible summer leaver.

Gerrard - Captain Fantastic last year - Captain Ordinary this year. We have come to expect so much more of Stevie, maybe unfairly but I dont feel he has come anywhere near the heights of the previous 2 seasons this year. Is it because of burn out or because he does not stand out as much with the strength of this squad? i don't know but he has not been at his best much this year - the baby rumours didn't help.

Xabi Alonso - Terrible start, terrible, terrible start. Some blamed the World Cup but thats not an excuse for me. He's a professional footballer and his start was woeful. Some on here were suggesting selling him earlier on in the year! Rubbish but he has not hit the heights like the previous years.

Sissoko - Our balling winning destroyer. One of the few players to actually come out of the poor start to the season with some credit. He gives his all in matches and it was disapointing to lose him again because of a freak injury. Has dipped in form since he came back but I feel his match sharpness is not just there yet.

Gonzalez - Why all the hype?

Fowler - Fowlers last year for us has not gone as he would of planned. He has not been treated fairly by Rafa and has scored when given the chance. He is just not good enough anymore. Defo leaving.

Crouch - I said at the start of the year I was expecting Peter to finish top scorer and I still think he will. However I feel he has been slightly under used and I feel Rafa's rotation policy affected him a lot earlier on in the year. Why Rafa decided to rotate him when he was bangin them in is anyones guess. I was made up for him with his hattrick and I hope he finishes this season as he finished last years.

Kuyt - Workhorse and already an Anfield favourite. His debut was brilliant and at times he has looked awesome but I feel he has not been as good as he can be, next year is a big test and I hope we see the best from Dirk then.

Bellamy - Closely followed Pennant for my let down of the season. However unlike Pennant i don't feel it is all entirely his fault. The courtcase, the rotation and the controversy around him have affected his game and I don't feel we have seen anything from Bellamy that another 20 odd strikers in the Premiership could of done. Big season for him next year unless Rafa has decided his ship has already sailed?

Reina - Essentially I agree. Quality goalkeeper. Excellent off his line and generally top notch. His "mistakes" that people point out also never seem to cost us goals (with the exception of a few games at the start of the season).

Finnan - Very consistent and a good player. A great one? Not a chance. Lacks ability to create space for others. His major fault is he simply does not overlap often enough. When he does he's dangerous but for this reason alone he'll never be a match winner which is something we have to start looking for in a player.

Carragher - Liverpool through and through end of.

Agger - Absoloutely world class and will be the worlds best centre back once he learns to head a ball, tackle, pass to a team-mate, gains some pace, stops diving into tackles, stops lazy clearnances and stops passing to players who are marked tightly or crowded by opposition players. In other words, nowhere near world class and rediculously overated and will unfortunately get found out next season I would expect. Hopefully I'm wrong, hopefully I've badly misjudged the lad, do I think he's a good player? Of course, do I think theres alot better out there... absoloutely. Compare him to Ferdinand, Vidic, Toure, Gallas and Woodgate. Even King, Terry, Carvalho...

Hyypia - Spelt HYYPIA, yes his legs are going. He's nowhere near what he was, but the fact remains he's still the best centre half at Liverpool football club. The problem lies in his style and lack of mobility. However, with the current players and and tactical system I don't think he'd look out of place. I'd expect one more season at least for cover.

Riise - No coincidence he was fine last year played behind Harry Kewell. He's had nothing infront of him this season and its shown. He's had a poor season but still scored some belters. Will be back to his best next season.

Aurelio - Thats his season finished and probably next season aswell. Unbelievabley injury prone and its a massive shame as the lad clearly shown he's got the class and ability to make the left back spot his own.

Luis Garcia - Great squad player. Can score, create and frustrate. Not first team material but definately a place for him. Needs to get off to a good start next season.

Pennant - Even the blind men can see he's got ability. He can go past players, cross, he's got pace and he can spot a pass. He's also been wasteful, leighweight and lacking in confidence. Expect an improvement next season. However, I do think having Kuyt and Bellamy upfront this season hasn't helped him at all. He's a winger who crosses, Kuyt and Bellamy don't attack crosses. When he's played with Fowler or Crouch he's looked alot better.

Gerrard - Absoloutely unbelievable the attitude shown towards our best player this year. Ordinary my backside. Idiots seem to think if he doesn't score or create he's had a bad game but the fact is he's a midfielder. I remember him against Chelsea (home), Watford(away) and Wigan (away) where he was outstanding and idiots saying how ordinary he was in these games when he was by a mile the best player on the pitch in each occassion. As far as I'm concerned has been excellent this season. Its just a shame some of the :censored: around him haven't reached the same standards.

Alonso - Class act. But had a distinctly average season. Trying to much to be Gerrard's "defensive shield". Play as a :censored: centre mid with Gerrard in centre mid. Not :censored: attacking and defensive. CENTRAL EFFIN MIDFIELD! Mix and match for christs sake.

Sissoko - Good squad player. Not good enough to be in the team every week.

Gonzalez - Are you sure you don't think he'll be world class once he learns to dribble, pass, spot a pass, composure, strength, first touch, technique, head a ball and tackle?

Fowler - Criminally underused and criminally underated by the idiots who know absoloutely nothing about the game and don't understand how the game is played and what a good player can do. Great player, improved us last season, has scored when he's played this season and I find it quite pathetic that people buy into this fitness lark like its the be all and end all. Fowler has the brain and the quality which is more than can be said for our other forwards. Maybe he can't play well every week, maybe he won't cover as much ground as Bellamy, Kuyt and Crouch, but I'd put my life on it had he played as much as Kuyt, he'd have more goals than all of our strikers in the league put together.

Crouch - Came in, done ok. Scored a couple of goals. Proved he was half decent. Time to go, not good enough. Next.

Kuyt - Overated and a complete and utter let down. £9,500,000 for him? I'm sorry, but I'd rather see Morientes. At least that lad could use his head. Kuyt offers us nothing in terms of out an out creativety and goals. For me, would be the first striker out the door. Even though he's clearly better than Crouch as a player, he's not suited to our style.

Bellamy - The second best of a bad bunch for me. Good squad player and I like his work rate, pace and willingness to run into the channels. He's not the answer in terms of goals and he's not good enough to be first choice every week but one I'd definately keep for next season.
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby The Manhattan Project » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:16 am

The team this term, Like the alliteration?

Sir, I salute your indefatigability, and your poetic skills.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion