Current squad - Good enough to win title?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:57 am

I think that our current squad is not good enough to win the title. We need players to start proving their worth otherwise they can leave such as:

Zenden - He works hard but he has lacked that extra bit of skill. He is very medicore.

Hyypia - Hes been very good for us but he just 'plays the game'. He doesn't get stuck in enough.

Gonzalez - We need to give him time but has looked very weak so far. He needs to get going and fight more.

Aurelio - Once again same thing looks week and always gets murdered by his opponents.

I think we need to splash out on new players in Jan, maybe between 25 - 30M again if we're going to be considered Premiership contenders. Right now, we're a joke.
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:20 am

I disagree. Our squad is good enough to challenge for the title but they just aren't performing to there ability. If we can hit some sort of form we'll be up there, unfortunatly, it's to late this season and 4 is about as good as we can expect now. :(
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby club_Levis » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:26 am

Very true we have been like this for ages. While at it the mediocre players' list you have mentioned is very selective as long as the likes of peter Crouch ( funny that some fans felt he was better than Drogba) and the ageing Fowler are missing from it!!! We will never win the league with the players mentioned above.
club_Levis

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:38 am

On the face of it the squad looks strong and is fairly strong. The problem lies with the chemistry and cohesion when we are playing. I feel our team spirit isn't anywhere near that of Chelsea and Man Utd. New players and permanent rotation of the squad has to be big under lying factors as to why.

We, as a team, need to be bonding. The fact that Riise and Gerrard we arguing after the second goal on Sunday speaks volumes.

One solution is to wins games but that is just a catch-22 situation where winning feeds morale but morale is needed to win. Rafa gets paid a lot of money to sort these types of problems out, lets hope he does it sooner rather than later.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mattylfc » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:51 am

Based on our current squad, not including loaned out players. The following players are good enough IMO to challenge for a place in the 'big three' (Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal) and would not look at of place:

JC, Agger, Riise, Alonso, Sissoko,Gerrard, Kuyt.

The players listed below are players that are very good but wouldnt IMO get in the top three:

Reina, Garcia, Finnan, Bellamy, Crouch, Dudek, kewell, Warnock.

The following players IMO are good but seen as squad players:

Fowler, Zenden, Aurelio.

Agger- i have put him in the top list because he has allready shown great potential and i honestly think he will be great for us.

Hyppia - Purposely left out. Great player but is unfortunately coming to the end of his career and would be hard to put him in a category.

Gonzalez/Pennant - i have purposely left them out because i just havnt seen enough of them, too early to tell.

Fowler - Obviously a great player but in terms of his current role at the club, he is now fourth choice.

Garcia - Could maybe be in top group but too inconsistant at present.  On home performances he probably would be in top group.

Finnan - A really hard choice personally, i really rate Finnan and is one of the most consistant performers but i do feel that we could strengthen the RB position.

Reina - When he first come i thought he had answered our goalkeeping problems but based on this seasons pewrformances i cant put him in the top list, hopefully he will get back to last seasons form.

There is obviously a few players that people will feel should be in a different group but i dont think it is too far off. It is purely to provide an example of the strength of our squad, not to point the finger at any players.

What im trying to say, as i allready have in a previous thread is that we have a very good squad but we are approximately four 'top' players away from being good enough to seriously challenge the big three. When we play against the big three i do think it shows that we are just not quite there yet, close but not there yet.
If you look at the 7 listed in the top group, they are all at a decent age which is promising and four of the seven were brought in by Rafa himself. Some of the players in the lower lists certainly have the potential to be in the top list and some just havnt lived up to the expectations from when we signed them. Please note that the three 'squad players' listed above were all free transfers too.
I thinks its now time to buy players that go directly into the top list, players with proven quality. Unfortunately with the money available Rafa will have to pull out some miracle work in the transfer market or it will be one top player a season to come in.
In the mean time we just have to hope that the likes of Reina, Gonzalez, Bellamy and Pennant all begin to play to their full potential and force the way into the top category.
mattylfc

Postby joko » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:32 am

i think it's not necessarily relevant to relate tha chance of finishing top and the quality of the players,

valencia and porto, for example, were not the squad with the averagely highest quality players compared to other competitors in the same league

liverpool are now particularly facing a confidence crisis, a performance of jeckyll and hyde

so i think it's not necessarily relevant to relate the quality of our current squad with the probability of finishing top
ImageImage Image
joko
LFC Super Member

Postby crouchaldinho » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:39 am

I know this isnt a totally relevant place to put this post, but i cant place new threads myself and there has been mention of Reina in this thread already - i just read this article about him on teamtalk.com. 

Valencia keen on Reina raid - Report
Under-fire Liverpool goalkeeper Jose Reina is a reported target for La Liga outfit Valencia, according to reports in Spain.
The former Villrreal stopper is reportedly homesick and looking for a move back to the Primera Liga.

Reina, who moved to Anfield in the summer of 2005, has come under a lot of criticism this season for his errors, particularly in the 3-0 Merseyside derby defeat to Everton.

First-choice Valencia keeper Santiago Canizares is refusing to sign a new contract, forcing the club to look elsewhere.

Their back-up keeper Ludovic Butelle has been linked with a move to Liverpool already this season, so there may well be some scope for a swap deal.

My question to you guys is would you be happy if Reina were to go in january, and we get scotty carson back from charlton? i think he's been in great form for them, made some excellent saves, and imo he's in no way at fault for their poor league position. I personally would happily take him back and make him our No1 should Reina leave. Thoughts please....
crouchaldinho

Postby mattylfc » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:45 am

crouchaldinho wrote:I know this isnt a totally relevant place to put this post, but i cant place new threads myself and there has been mention of Reina in this thread already - i just read this article about him on teamtalk.com. 

Under-fire Liverpool goalkeeper Jose Reina is a reported target for La Liga outfit Valencia, according to reports in Spain.
The former Villrreal stopper is reportedly homesick and looking for a move back to the Primera Liga.

Reina, who moved to Anfield in the summer of 2005, has come under a lot of criticism this season for his errors, particularly in the 3-0 Merseyside derby defeat to Everton.

First-choice Valencia keeper Santiago Canizares is refusing to sign a new contract, forcing the club to look elsewhere.

Their back-up keeper Ludovic Butelle has been linked with a move to Liverpool already this season, so there may well be some scope for a swap deal.

My question to you guys is would you be happy if Reina were to go in january, and we get scotty carson back from charlton? i think he's been in great form for them, made some excellent saves, and imo he's in no way at fault for their poor league position. I personally would happily take him back and make him our No1 should Reina leave. Thoughts please....

was mentioned in the rumour mill yesterday mate, cant see any truth in it personally.
mattylfc

Postby crouchaldinho » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:50 am

Whether he will go or not wasnt really what i was asking... what i wondered was IF he went, do you reckon Carson has shown enough quality to be our first team keeper? cos i think he's a great keeper already, and will get even better in the years to come. i think we should get him back and give the lad a good run in the first team
crouchaldinho

Postby Redman in wales » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:14 pm

crouchaldinho wrote:I know this isnt a totally relevant place to put this post, but i cant place new threads myself and there has been mention of Reina in this thread already - i just read this article about him on teamtalk.com. 

Reina thread
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crouchaldinho » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:17 pm

yeah, yeah, alright, so i missed the thread - i get it! Lets say no more about it eh?
crouchaldinho

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:36 pm

chiggz_likes_owen wrote:I think we need to splash out on new players in Jan, maybe between 25 - 30M again if we're going to be considered Premiership contenders. Right now, we're a joke.

Just a thought but where do you think we're going to get 25-30mn from in January!?

Overall the squad is pretty good, good balance of youth and experience, plemty of top quality players like Gerrard, Sissoko, Alonso, Carragher, Kuyt etc.

For me it's not a question of whether the sqaud is good enough, it's getting the formation sorted out and the right balance in the team. It'll depend on the success of Pennant, Bellamy, Aurelio and Gonzalez as to how much we'll need to strengthen next season (I don't think we'll do much in the Jan transfer window, except maybe bringing in a RB like Lucas Neill). If those 4 players do the business then the sqaud is capable of winning the title for sure.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:14 pm

Reasons why we have struggled so far imo:

Lack of Quality

Let's just get it straight that our players are of the same quality as Man U in goal, back 4 and central midfield, imo even better. What we're missing, as has been pointed out on here many times, is the cutting edge in the final third of the pitch. Im not talking about our strikers, I firmly believe that Bellamy and Kuyt are class, not the next Rooney but we cant compete with Man U financially so let's forget about bringing someone like him to the club, we dont need that. Enough said about strikers, we have class in Kuyt and Bellamy, and Crouch for all you Crouchmaniacs.
What we needed last season is someone who could take on a man out wide and put pressure on a defense all by himself like Ronaldo, Lennon, Henry, McManaman back in the day, and even Pennant at Birmingham and Gonzalez in Spain. I honestly didnt see it coming that these two would underperform like they are doing right now. I thought we finally had two wide players that could turn defenders inside out. We've seen it occasionally, even against Arsenal Pennant came past Clichy(Only once though). But that 1 time it led to a goal(disallowed). The lack of wide players in form is just like every other season one of my main reasons for our temporary slump in form. Maybe we should give them(Pennant & Gonzalez) more time, but I must say im starting to get worried

Poor away form

When we're playing away in the premiership we get closed down and pressured on our own half(especially against the top teams) This doesnt leave any room for the defenders to pass the ball around and build an attack with 20 passes like we like to do, first between the great Finn and Carragher, Riise and Finnan and then through Alonso. Of course there IS room for it, but to be able to pass it around back there with Henry chasing you, you have to be confident and have the technical ability to pass it and recieve it. Let's face it, neither of our back four has the technical ability to play ball under pressure. Agger does though, and I hope he will make the place his soon. Just to make sure everybody gets my point: We get closed down on our own half and we cant handle it, we dont have the technical attributes to cope with it in the back four, and the consequence is LONG BALLS, and up there we usually have Crouch getting battled off the ball because he doesnt have the strenght to be a target man(height yes, but doesnt seem to help him much when he gets wrestled away).

Mentality

Gary Neville is far far from the best fullback in the premiership, but that doesnt prevent him from thinking he is Gods gift to football. He comes forward all the time, and it creates space and options for his team mates. It doesnt look like Finnan thinks he can help by going forward. That is one thing, the other is our captain fantastic and the rest of the crew not believing it is possible to control the game away from home. It's the same game, same sized pitch(not far from), same ball, same teams, so why cant we win away. Mentality, we just dont have the never say die attitude that Manure have instilled in their team. The team that created the greatest comeback of all time doesnt have the mentality to come from behind at the moment. I just dont get it, all I know is that it needs to change, you play for Liverpool FC, you are better than all the rest- f#cking get it to sink in and stay.

Bad luck and underperformers

Cheap excuse, but we have been unlucky with some decisions etc. The other thing is underperforming from Alonso and Gerrard, who imo are our most important and influential players, and decisive for us to click.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:20 pm

When we're playing away in the premiership we get closed down and pressured on our own half(especially against the top teams) This doesnt leave any room for the defenders to pass the ball around and build an attack with 20 passes like we like to do, first between the great Finn and Carragher, Riise and Finnan and then through Alonso. Of course there IS room for it, but to be able to pass it around back there with Henry chasing you, you have to be confident and have the technical ability to pass it and recieve it. Let's face it, neither of our back four has the technical ability to play ball under pressure. Agger does though, and I hope he will make the place his soon. Just to make sure everybody gets my point: We get closed down on our own half and we cant handle it, we dont have the technical attributes to cope with it in the back four, and the consequence is LONG BALLS, and up there we usually have Crouch getting battled off the ball because he doesnt have the strenght to be a target man(height yes, but doesnt seem to help him much when he gets wrestled away).

One of the best points made on here all week.
account deleted by request

Postby Espionage » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:33 pm

we could be out of a keeper soon :laugh:
Los Che eye Liverpool star
14-11-2006 12:11
Valencia are reportedly showing an interest in Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina.
Los Che's Sporting Director, Amadeo Carboni, has put the Spanish shot-stopper at the top of his wanted list.

Current Valencia number one Santiago Canizares has yet to open contract talks with the club, whilst Ludovic Butelle's future at the Mestalla remains in doubt.
Spanish claims are reporting that Reina is the preferred choice of Valencia, and is looking for a return to his homeland.

The stumbling block for Valencia however could be the price tag of Reina.

http://www.clubcall.com/index.jsp?storyID=299360

Biggest load of :censored: ever!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion