The new stadium - Severe protest

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:07 pm

PROTESTERS against Liverpool Football Club's plans to relocate to a new stadium in Stanley Park yesterday handed in a 10,000-strong petition against the scheme.
Joe Kenny, chairman of the Anfield Regeneration Action Committee, wheeled in the weighty evidence to Millennium House, home of the city council planning department.

Council planners are due to consider LFC's 60,000-seat stadium plan later in the summer.

The arrival of the petition came just hours after the Daily Post revealed the view of senior Merseyside economist Peter Stoney that Stanley Park was the wrong location for Liverpool's new stadium.

Mr Stoney, research fellow at the University of Liverpool, said the Central Docks area was a more suitable location for the ground.

Both LFC and the city council have declined to comment on his view.

Last night Mr Kenny said: "Today the people of Anfield delivered over 10,000 individual objections as well as an official statement outlining the reasons why the city council must not approve Liverpool Football Club's planning application.

"The official letter carries over 100 planning objections. In the light of this, we expect Liverpool City Council to reject LFC's plans as they are in total contradiction with the council's own planning policy.

"If passed, Liverpool City Council would be acting illegally and the individual councillors could well be culpable.

"We would seek to have the councillors who vote through this application removed from office on the grounds that they would be acting ultra vires (beyond their powers)."

LFC ruled out 17 sites across Merseyside before deciding on Stanley Park as the location for its new stadium.

Individual reports, included in LFC's application, were drawn up on industrial parks, green spaces and former dockland areas, but all were rejected due to problems of size, transport access or because they were already earmarked for other projects.

For me it would be a disaster if we didnt get our new stadium.

:angry:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:09 pm

Yeah, we do need to evolve.  Anfield will never be forgotten, but we need a new stadium. 

For one reason and one reason alone.

I'm on the season ticket waiting list and it's taking years!!! :D  :D  :D
jonnymac1979

Postby Boocity » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:25 pm

Stanley Park is a stupid place for a new stadium, the transport links are cwap. Its a nightmare parking around Anfield as it is. There has got to be a better position where a new stadium can really stand out.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gareth G » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:55 pm

All i can think of is, 10, 000 Everton supporter's!

I reckon the dock's would be a good place for the new stadium.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redman25 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:03 pm

jonnymac1979 wrote:Yeah, we do need to evolve.  Anfield will never be forgotten, but we need a new stadium. 

jonny you dont know how long the wait is do you by any chance??
redman25

Postby stapo1000 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:30 pm

does this mean that you all are in favour of a ground share with everton
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:35 pm

redman25 wrote:
jonnymac1979 wrote:Yeah, we do need to evolve.  Anfield will never be forgotten, but we need a new stadium. 

jonny you dont know how long the wait is do you by any chance??

I put my younger bro on the waiting list when he was fourteen.

He is now 21 and no movement yet.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:01 pm

******, can't they see it is a good thing to have England's most historically renowned club local.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jack66 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:56 pm

Boocity wrote:Stanley Park is a stupid place for a new stadium, the transport links are cwap. Its a nightmare parking around Anfield as it is. There has got to be a better position where a new stadium can really stand out.

agree with this.we should relocate, their is plenty of land available in speke or knowsley and access with the motorways close by would make one of these ideal....
jack66

Postby Boocity » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:02 am

jack66 wrote:their is plenty of land available in speke or knowsley and access with the motorways close by would make one of these ideal....

Agree totally, would be the best area to site the stadium.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:11 pm

we dont need a ground share with the blue ******! that ****** kenny dose not want us there coz he is well known blue nose himself.
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:13 pm

Agreed, Stanley Park is a soft place for the new ground, it should be somewhere more accessable like Speke or Kings dock.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion