Three at the back - Some different tactics?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Scottbot » Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:02 pm

At the start of the season GH said he would produce a team that played more fluid attacking football instead of his favoured counter-attacking style. Unfortunately le boss has not been able to produce this type of football. Personally i do not feel he is capable of coaching a team to play in this manner & almost believe results would have been better this season if he had stuck to his own footballing principles.

GH is a staunch believer in 4-4-2. Personally, i also prefer to play this way and coach the football team at the college i work in to play the same way. However, i have recently been thinking why doesn't GH try something different and go with 3 at the back and go 3-5-2 or 3-4-1-2. It might be seen as the last throw of the dice but the guy only has one die left anyhow. We don't exactly have personnel to fit this system perfectly but it would be worth a try. How about:

Owen     Baros

Kewell

Hamman    Gerrard
         Riise                                                  Finnan

Carragher         Henchoz
                                     Hyppia

Kirkland

Riise is not the greatest LB but could make a decent Wing-back + Kewell has not really shined out on the left and could be more involved playing a more central role. Despite his form in the last few games, Finnan has enough attacking ability + the engine to get up and down. Our back 3 lack pace but Sami reads the game so well he could sweep up while Carra and Henchoz are excellent man-markers.

This might not be the answer but i wish GH would grow the balls to try something different. What do you guys think? Would you tinker with the formation.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:12 pm

anyone got any thoughts on this? Or is it a crappy post? :(
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:06 pm

4-4-2 or 4-5-1 are the only ways to play in England.

You need adaptability to change in the game but your basic should always be a 4-4-2.

Imo playing players out of position to disguise there weeknesses isn't a good idea.

Kewell is a left winger. Riise is a left back. Carragher is a Full back.

I can see what you are saying but this formation is easy to shut down and a ba#ta#d to work. Yes its easier to play an offside trap, yes its easier to play higher up the pitch but you are only looking at players positions rather than there abilitys. You need to consider both and look at the shape of the side.

We don't have a natural penalty box striker, IE Fowler, RvN, Shearer and we don't have a pacey cetnre back. Its a hard system to use properly and to be honest i think unless your in europe against someone who is swamping your midfield then this isn't the way to go.
115-1073096938

Postby Owzat » Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:38 am

I am tempted by the 3-5-2 formation as it would suit our side, but my main concern is the third centre-back. Carragher and Traore are the two viable options, I would not rush into it readily. (btw stu, it might happen if O'Neill comes to Anfield! :O )

GK Dudek
LCB Carragher/Traore
CB Hyypia
RCB Henchoz
LWB Riise
LCM Kewell
DCM Hamann
RCM Gerrard
RWB Finnan
LCF Owen
RCF Baros

It should release the wing-backs to provide width and give Kewell and Gerrard more freedom.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:24 pm

I know Kewell hasn't shined at Anfield yet but I still feel that he should be played as a left winger.  With leeds in the UEFA Cup and at  times during the champions league he  terrorised defences  from that position and I think GH or whoever is manager next years should try and get that style of play out of him again.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:37 pm

Owzat you talk bullsh#t.

O'Neils overated anyways.
115-1073096938

Postby zardd » Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:42 pm

GH always stuck with 4-4-2 whether he changes any players or whether his team is losing or not. why can't he make changes to formation as the game progress....it will make the opponents think & that might cause disruptions to their playing flow
zardd

Postby Scottbot » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:32 pm

I agree. I would like to see the manager atleast try something different during the game if we are losing or need another goal. When Heskey came on at the weekend for Diouff he slotted straight into to right mid - I would have liked to have seen us play 3 up - We never seem to take a bit of a gamble.

Also, i don't think its a given that 3-5-2 doesn't work in England. The way we have played this season anything is worth a try
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:35 pm

if o'neill did come to anfield everyone knows he likes playing 3-5-2. we'd need to sign another centre-back anyway.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion