Fowler or owen - Who was the best at thier best?

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby ScouseTommy » Fri May 06, 2005 11:19 pm

LIVERPOOLANYTIME wrote:
ScouseTommy wrote:No question Michael Owen all the way

Fowler was quality but Owen is going to be remebered as one of the best strikers that ever lived.

The really great players do the biz when it matters like FA cup finals and World & European Cups.

If the fans had have given him half the backing he deseved he might have still been playing at anfield now.

Its late and really didnt want to reply, but PLEASE DONT MAKE ME LAUGH!!! owen be remembered as one of the best of all time??  Im sorry for me that is just stupid.
Michael Owen was ok and if u ask me a thief of a striker(a la Lineker) and had no skill or ball control. Owen was complete hype and this becaus of the goal he scored in the '98 World Cup. That just led to mass hysteria......for me the amazing for me is that he still has basically a 1:2 average.....but when u look at the stats properly, not many of these goals were in BIG games, and he also scored quite a few pens(not to mention miss some too!).
All owen had was pace, but he ws never instinctive like Fowler was, or the likes of Shevchenko. Thats how good @God@ was, if he wasnt blighted by injury then he would have been the one being remebered as one of the best strikers of all time.
Fowler could score scrappy goals, headers, volleys and shots/free kicks from outseide the box....i can probably count on one hand the amount of goals owen scored from outside the box as for taking a free kick  :Oo: haha!!!

So sorry if i went on there a bit, but that post really enraged me, so i just had to reply!!!!

Owen has won the FA cup, UEFA Cup, Euro Super Cup, European Footballer of the year, Scored goals in World cups and every tournament he's played in is currently top goalscorer in terms of goals to minutes played in la liga and is on schedule to finish his career as England’s all time top goalscorer and he’s what 26?

a la Lineker? Didn’t realise he was so bad?

And how can you say Michael Owen never scored many in big games!! Get a grip… not like scoring in Rome or in Cardiff or even a certain hat trick against Germany what about Argentina err… Brazil, Portugal,  Bayern Munich in the super cup Man Ure in the charity shield plus countless times he pulled Liverpool out of the sh*t.

Michael Owen –
International - 69 Caps - 29 Goals
Club - 253 App’s - 130 Goals

Robbie Fowler –
International - 26 Caps - 7 Goals
Club - 350 App’s - 155 Goals

That may be one or two off was p*ssed off when I worked it out.

Sorry if I went on, that just enraged me, had to reply…
1892 - 2005
18 League Titles
6 F.A Cups
7 League Cups
5 European Cups
3 UEFA Cups
2 European Super Cups
1 Super Cup
14 Charity Shields
Y.N.W.A
ScouseTommy

Postby 76-1115222408 » Sat May 07, 2005 4:21 am

Fair does you make some good and valid points.....but could u enlighten me as to when he won the european cup??? :no
Also European player of the year, thats all politics!   
But maybe we are judging players by different standards, im sure the topic was who was BEST and not who had most goals or honours.....i prefer to judge by skills and abilities rather than statistics, as i said im aware of his 1:2 ratio and stuff and of course it looks good, but stats dont always tell the full story.
Also u have named a few 'big' games he may have scored in, but in relation to the number of goals scored its not that many 'BIG' games really is it?? also,sometimes there are games against lower placed PL teams that were 'big' games in terms of 00/01 when we were going for the title or in recent seasons chasing that 4th place as we always seem to do(no longer i hasten to add...Rafa Rafa!!).???
76-1115222408

Postby ScouseTommy » Sat May 07, 2005 11:42 am

lol sorry that'll teach me to read my posts before posting them...

Fair enough, I wasn't taking anything from Robbie he was awesome just in my oppinion i would take Owen in my team anyday.

It used to really wind me up being at anfield countless times when we would of lost if it wasn't for Owen's goals and the Kop all singing a benched Fowlers name without even a mention of Owens and people are still doing it now giving him alot of undeserved stick thats what i meant by he probs wouldnt of left if the kop loved him like they loved Robbie. His stats speak for themself and stand up against any of the worlds best goalscorers. If Owen missed a penalty or a couple of chances the press/fans would write him off he always came back and shoved it down there throats if he'd of scored all the ones everyone said he should of dixie dean would of been getting worried. Your talking about he scored against small PL clubs but how many "big games" do you play a season? can you name as many "big games" he never scored in as i named that he did?

I think we can just agree to disagree on this one.

Let's just smoke a bud forget about it and look forward to to trashing arsenal tomorrow hopefully....
1892 - 2005
18 League Titles
6 F.A Cups
7 League Cups
5 European Cups
3 UEFA Cups
2 European Super Cups
1 Super Cup
14 Charity Shields
Y.N.W.A
ScouseTommy

Postby 76-1115222408 » Sat May 07, 2005 9:07 pm

Yea will agree to disagree...LOL!!
And you have the right sentiments, as i read yer post was smoking a Fattie!!!! hehe!!

Lets hope we do in the @rse, as WE HAVE TO WIN BOTH GAMES AND HOPE EVERTON LOSE BOTH THIERS...:(

Next time we might agree Scousetommy!!!!!!!   :p

YNWA
76-1115222408

Postby muttleyp » Thu May 12, 2005 7:08 pm

Definitely Fowler, i think he was a better finisher than Owen, had better ball control, and was more skill full. Could make a goal out of nothing, scores inside or outside the box. If he had Owen's pace he would have scored alot more goals than he did and this wouldnt even be a debate.
muttleyp

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri May 20, 2005 12:56 am

Owen by a country mile, anyone who says otherwise is talking rubbish end of story.
115-1073096938

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri May 20, 2005 11:28 pm

fowler, the first couple of years when he broke into the team were amazing - and thats from an old cynic like me.
anyone who doesnt think so has either a :censored: memory or was too young to remember.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby MCYan » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:06 pm

Fowler definitely. For those of you who thinks Owen is better, you guys probably haven't started watching football when fowler is playing along with rush. He is amazing in front of the goal.
MCYan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fernando Morientes > 19 < » Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:22 pm

they are two different players, owen is quick while fowler is more skilful on the ball IMO.
"He is the player that Liverpool have been looking for." - Ian Rush
Fernando Morientes > 19 <
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:18 am

Fowler! Fowler! Fowler! :D
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge