Robbie fowler - Queensland fury thread

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby Boocity » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:36 pm

In God's own country: Robbie Fowler, the wizard of Oz, hasn't lost his golden touch
By Mike Dickson
In a Sportsmail exclusive, Mike Dickson meets up with a Liverpool legend making a dramatic impact far from the Premier League spotlight in the Australian outpost of Townsville
Last updated at 12:27 AM on 22nd January 2010
Comments (10) Add to My Stories Two big stories have emerged in Townsville recently. The first involved the local football club buying a prolific Premier League striker; the second included the sighting of a giant crocodile, which forced the closure of beaches.

I’m here to interview one — fortunately today there is no sign of the other.

Robbie Fowler made the front page of the Townsville Bulletin when news of his arrival to play for North Queensland Fury leaked out. The crocodile had to settle for an inside page; seen one croc, seen them all.

Strolling along the beach, Fowler can look across the Coral Sea at the natural beauty of Magnetic Island, so-called because Captain Cook once stopped there to examine his navigational instruments, believing they were being skewed by some mysterious force field.

When Fowler quit the UK last year for this remote rugby league stronghold of 160,000 people more than 800 miles up from Brisbane, many might have wondered if he should have checked his compass, too.

‘I keep talking to people back home and they are all wrapped up under four layers,’ he says. ‘I only ever wear shorts and T-shirt and my problem is fiddling with the air conditioning. Where would you rather be?’
Making waves: Fowler - in his new attire - enjoys the summer in Townsville
It should be pointed out that Fowler does not sound smug in saying this and admits that there are times when he misses home, explaining that the factors behind him going so far off piste are varied.

Among them is the decent, but not stratospheric, wage, and also the different pace of life and new experiences for him and his family.

They live in the centre of town near the beach, where the crocodile became the second most famous attraction in town with its sighting 100 metres off the Rockpool headland.

Fowler has learned that there is ‘Big Nature’ here, the impression reinforced when he landed a 50lb catch on a recent fishing trip.

Making headlines: Fowler was bigger news in the Townsville Bulletin than a dangerous crocodile
Townsville is a surprising gem of a place, full of ready smiles and sidewalk cafes, horizontally laid-back with the local economy relying on a few government departments, a nearby defence base and agricultural businesses.

A high quality of life is offered, but the reasons why Fowler has come here on a two-year contract largely come back to the football, and the enduring love he has for playing it.

‘Something that really appealed to me was being in on the start of a brand new team going into the top division of a league. That is very unusual and it has been the chance to make a bit of history and learn a few things,’ he says. ‘Obviously there are other factors as well, but basically I still love playing football, and I reckon I can still play okay.’

The local entrepreneurs behind the new team, the newest in the A-League, obviously thought so when they signed him up as their official marquee player.

A salary cap is operated in the A-League, but to try to add star quality to the fledgling competition, each club can disregard that for one individual. Fowler had come to the end of a short-term contract at Blackburn in late 2008 and was available for a new challenge when the squad were being assembled, so the Fury’s owners pursued him and took the plunge, giving a bonus-related package worth in the region of £12,000-a-week.

He is the biggest name in the 10-team division, moving one local commentator to liken Fury’s new signing to the town’s basketball side, The Crocodiles, snapping up the NBA’s Kobe Bryant.

The much-trumpeted Fowler deal not only parked soccer’s tanks on the lawn of Townsville’s much bigger rugby league club, the Cowboys, but also sent a frisson of excitement around the whole of this vast continent.

Statistics show attendances are up 21 per cent at the away grounds where he plays and in Perth, with its huge British population, the visit of the Fury caused a sudden 37 per cent increase in the crowd for that one match. It cannot be just down to the Fury, viewed as plucky northern battlers, having acquired the status of everyone’s favourite second team.

In fact it could be argued that Fury’s investment is helping other teams as much as themselves, as attendances at their own, quaintly-named Dairy Farmers’ Stadium are around only 6,000-7,000 — less than half the number who come to watch the 13-man rugby code.

The manager is former Rangers stalwart Ian Ferguson, with the only other recognisable name that of Terry Cooke, the former Manchester United midfielder best known as being a part of the original golden generation at Old Trafford alongside the likes of David Beckham and Paul Scholes.

Career renaissance: Fowler has impressed at the Fury
Fowler has not disappointed, scoring nine goals in 23 games despite dropping back to a near midfield role as the season has progressed. Perhaps more impressively, in a league which takes place in the heat of the Australian summer, he has spent more minutes on the pitch than any other player in the competition.

‘It’s a bit like being back as a kid because you often train late on in the day to avoid the heat and humidity, like you were doing it after school. I’ve been pretty pleased with my form, and it helps at this stage of my career that you only play one game a week in this league.

‘They are always asking me about how the standard is compared to back home but it’s a difficult one,’ he says, possibly diplomatically. ‘There are some good players and some not so good players, the better ones could do well probably just below the Premier League. Our aim this season was to be competitive, and we have done that.

‘It’s a decent competition and I’ve been very impressed by the organisation of it, but it’s definitely not the Premier League. I’ve been a bit surprised by how much I get recognised here, but then everyone seems to be into English football.’
The travel schedule is certainly different, involving getting to most places via the hub of Brisbane airport, a place Fowler is getting to know like the back of his hand. It is, you venture, perhaps not where a young Liverpudlian who lived the dream expected to end up.

‘I first came down here for a week to see what it was like and if I’m honest I didn’t really like it at first,’ he admits. ‘I thought it was too quiet and remote and everywhere seemed a bit dead.

‘But the more I’ve been here, the more I’ve liked it. The kids are very adaptable to where they are, but I think my wife still needs a bit of convincing. It’s not like back at home where there’s more stuff to do and more families that we know, so she’s still adjusting.’
Anfield icon: Fowler notched 183 goals in 369 games during his two stints at Anfield
Fowler obviously likes it in Australia and plans to see out his contract, but with the geography and time difference there can often be the sense of dislocation that any ordinary ex-pat Brit could identify with.

He admits that he found it hard at Christmas, when his wife, Kerrie, went home with their four young children to see family, and he went round for lunch with team-mate and fellow Scouser, James Robinson.
You get the impression that, at 34 and legs permitting, he will try to see out the last of his playing days in England, and he is still in contact with numerous ex-team-mates. From afar, he can see that these are interesting times in the Premier League, in which he remains the fourth highest-scorer since its inception.

‘It’s pretty easy to keep in touch with people these days. There are phones and texts and I’m big into Skype — that took a real battering over Christmas. There seems to be a real buzz about the Premier League, which had become pretty predictable. I still don’t think you can look much beyond the top three, but below them there could be a real shake-up.’
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Aussie Style » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:24 pm

Robbie Fowler's future in balance after sitting out Fury's clash with Brisbane
By Ed Jackson
January 23, 2010 The future of North Queensland Fury marquee man Robbie Fowler appears in jeopardy after he sat out the club's 1-1 draw against Brisbane Roar in Townsville.

Fowler refused to play in Saturday's A-League match at Dairy Farmers Stadium after being told he would start on the bench for the first time this season.

The former Liverpool great, who scored 161 goals in the English Premier League, became the A-League's biggest recruit in five years when he joined the Fury in February last year.

He's scored nine goals so far this season for the struggling Fury, but spent the match against the Roar sitting in the stands at Dairy Farmers Stadium.

Fury coach Ian Ferguson later knocked back suggestions Fowler had made his final outing for the club.

"No, not at all," Ferguson told Fox Sports.

"There's a couple of issues we have to sort out. Robbie's a great player, he's an experienced player, he's a player that we want to keep at the club.

"At the end of the day I felt it was obviously a decision I had to make, I wanted Robbie to go on the bench and he refused to go on the bench.

"We'll go over it on Monday, we'll have a serious talk and see what it takes."

Reports have suggested the former England and Liverpool striker is seeking to leave despite still having a year to run on his contract.

It is believed the 34-year-old's wife has struggled to settle in the tropics, something Fowler did little to dispel in an interview with English tabloid the Daily Mail earlier this week.

"The kids are very adaptable to where they are, but I think my wife still needs a bit of convincing," he said in the article.

"It's not like back at home where there's more stuff to do and more families that we know, so she's still adjusting."

------------------------------------------------------------

I'd be surprised if he stays much longer, another unhappy wife. Don't blame her though, not much up in Townsville.
Aussie Style
LFC Super Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:21 pm

i've been there in Queensland (Rockhampton and Townsville) and it is a really boring place. :D good place to retire though, quiet and peaceful.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby tubby » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:19 pm

I read he was getting a bit :censored: of recently at starting on the bench. And his missus hasn't settled well over there either.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leep33 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:11 pm

If he is their top scorer i am surprised he is on the bench.
leep33

Postby Yossi_Benaloon » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:58 am

He seems to be answering questions online from football fans according to this report. Could be a chance for Liverpool fans to ask him about how he is finding his time in Australia.
Yossi_Benaloon

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:55 pm

disapointing to hear that its not working out, but it's probably time for him to call it a day anyway. The Austrailan league is on par with League 2 and i can't see where else he could go to prolong his career.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Yossi_Benaloon » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:51 pm

Just read that Gold Coast United are trying to prise Fowler away from North Queensland Fury. The club after his are title contenders but it is apparently unlikely to striker will switch teams.
Yossi_Benaloon

Postby Dundalk » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:34 am

Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:13 am

Robbie Robbie dont join the weirdos in Sydney

Come here to the West Coast where the real people are
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:52 am

YESSSSSSSSSSSS  I found religion again as God comes to the glorious west

LIVERPOOL legend Robbie Fowler has agreed to join Perth Glory for the 2010/11 season and will move to WA next month.
Fowler, 35, is the biggest signing in the club's history and is likely to drive renewed interest in the sport and the club.

Glory owner Tony Sage is expected to confirm Fowler's signing at a press conference this afternoon.

Sydney FC had also shown interest in the former North Queensland Fury striker but Glory's offer, understood to be more than $800,000, was far superior.

As revealed in The Sunday Times this week, Fowler has already started looking into housing and schools for his children and could live in Fremantle.

All North Queensland players were released from their contracts amid the expansion club's financial and ownership turmoil.

The expected boost in membership and ticket revenue Fowler's signing would bring would offset his high wage.

The 12,872 who watched Glory host Fowler's Fury last October was easily Perth's biggest crowd of the season.

The Englishman will be expected to begin pre-season training on June 1.

Ironically, the move to Perth will reunite Fowler with former Fury coach Ian Ferguson, who has joined Glory as an assistant coach.

The rocky relationship between Ferguson and Fowler hit rock-bottom in Round 24 last season, with Ferguson saying Fowler refused to play after being told he was being dropped from the starting XI. Ferguson insists the pair since patched things up.

Fowler's signing as a second marquee player, under new rules announced by Football Federation Australia last week, will take Glory's player wage bill for next season to nearly $4 million.

Deputy chairman Lui Giuliani said there were strong on and off-field reasons for luring Fowler.

``He would attract people through the gates and draw sponsors. But as importantly, he's got the skill and still got the smarts to be a valuable contributor on the pitch,'' Giuliani said.
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Tue May 25, 2010 4:35 pm

All is well in my neck of woods tonight  :)

High-profile Perth Glory recruit Robbie Fowler was tonight welcomed into WA by a vocal band of diehard football fans singing and chanting his name.

Dozens of fans dressed mainly in Glory and Liverpool shirts joined a large media scrum in waiting for the former Reds legend to appear in a sign that Fowler's status as an international football superstar will bring some much-wanted attention to his new club and the local game.

Fowler arrived on a long flight from Dubai but said the reception made it worthwhile and was pleased to be joining Glory after spending last season with A-League expansion club North Queensland Fury.

"The professionalism of all the (Glory) staff has been fantastic," Fowler said.

"It's a good club, a lovely place and the staff were brilliant and really instrumental in me getting here.

"The fact is that they made me feel welcome. They were always on the phone and that personal touch makes a big (difference).

"I was happy with that and when you feel wanted it makes a big difference.

"It obviously brilliant being here and when you come through airports and you see the amount of people and all you guys (the media) here it's fantastic."

Fowler has been keeping fit at home in the UK and arrived in Perth in good physical condition.

He arrived in Australia last year under an injury cloud and there was some anxiety that he might not reach a level of fitness where his undoubted pedigree would shine.

But shine he did.

Fowler will begin training with his new teammates this week and is already focused on helping Glory win some silverware after they reached the A-League finals for the first time last season.

"It was obviously a long flight but I'm here now and I can try and concentrate on football so it's good to be here," Fowler said.

"Football is obviously what I'm here for and if I can help the team in any way get further up the table than what they were last year that's good."

Fowler, who earned the moniker "god" from adoring Liverpool fans during a prolific spell at Anfield, is expected to be Glory's jewel in the crown and a catalyst for improvement in the attacking department.

There is also the bums-on-seats effect he is sure to have in Perth, with its expat British population and general interest in all things English Premier League.

Glory have already experienced increased interest in membership, which will help owner Tony Sage offset some of the $600,000 he is believed to have forked out to lure Fowler to Perth.

Commercially, the signing of Fowler is unlikely to be a failed venture.

And if the 35-year-old can reproduce the form he showed on the field - particularly early in the season - for North Queensland Fury it will be win-win for a club hoping to reach great heights in the new season.

Fowler bagged nine goals, most of them of the top-drawer variety, in 26 games for the Fury, a handy return for a striker past his best but clearly with plenty to offer.

He was prepared to stay in Townsville but his contract was cut short when Fury hit financial trouble and their A-League licence was taken over by Football Federation Australia, paving the way for Sage to pounce.

Fowler's presence should increase the excitement at ME Bank Stadium as much as the frequency of goals.

He scored 120 goals in 236 appearances during his heyday for Liverpool.

Fans will watch and hope he can kick off his Glory spell in goal-scoring fashion when his new club takes on his old one at ME Bank Stadium on Friday, August 6.
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Aussie Style » Tue May 25, 2010 8:43 pm

Don't know why Melbourne Heart didn't go after him instead of Aloisi.
Also what was Robbie thinking? We all know Melbournes the place to be :p
Aussie Style
LFC Super Member

Postby laza » Wed May 26, 2010 1:22 am

His wife was feeling homesick AS so I not sure living in Mexico would have helped :D
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Wed May 26, 2010 2:30 pm

PRIZED Perth Glory recruit Robbie Fowler believes he could play on for three more years before turning his hand to coaching.
And the 35-year-old also took aim at how players from his former A-League club - North Queensland - were treated last season.

Fowler, who turned down an offer from Sydney FC to sign with the Glory, on Wednesday declared he was far from finished as a player a day after touching down in Perth.

"I still consider myself young even though I'm not,'' Fowler said.

"I love the game and I want to play for as long as I can.

"I want to go down that coaching (path) but let me just go out and play first.

"I think I have got one, two, maybe three years playing.

"(Coaching) is what I want to do in the end ... but I think I have got a few more years before I am up for coaching.''

Fowler was released from the second year of his contract with North Queensland after the club hit financial strife at the end of last season when their owner walked out.

"The way the players were treated up there was, well I think it was disgraceful to be honest, but I'm obviously not here to speak about that, I'll save that for another day,'' said Fowler, who didn't elaborate.

"I'm here now (in Perth) because thankfully the chairman and the manager gave us another chance to play football over here and Perth Glory is the place.

"I am confident at what I can do, and the (Perth) team had a great season last year.

"So I am on board and hopefully I can try and better the team and that is the aim.''

Glory coach Dave Mitchell said Fowler, who scored nine goals last season, would play a vital part in Perth's title charge.

"He's going to add that little bit of special, that X-factor that we may have been missing,'' Mitchell said.

Fowler will play his first game for Perth against his old club North Queensland at ME Bank Stadium on August 6.
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge