Fowler or owen - Who was the best at thier best?

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:34 pm

Owen was the best but i'd have loved nothing more than to see them both regulars banging the goals in left right and centre. Hopefully Benitez will bring god home and cure his broken football heart.

sounds good to me
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby begintoend » Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:14 am

Robbie Fowler was definitely so much more better. Though he is a sad case now.

Still when you compare the 2 at their prime, Robbie wins it. There is something magical that he provides to his goals. A terror, natural goal poacher, skilled and the fact that he shoots from anywhere. Just look at all the goals he has scored for lfc. Simply spectacular. :D
begintoend
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:39 pm

Owen by a mile.. European Footballer of the Year???  Fowler great finisher, but Owen far more important, influential.. and better groomed:cool:
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:41 pm

fowler was the most natural goalscorer i have ever seen at liverpool. however owen is the better all-round player by a distance.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:47 pm

Owen will go down in history as the better of the two but Fowler on his day what a natural goalscorer great player
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hello_red » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:53 pm

Fowler by a mile. Goals just happened around him. :D
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby Homebooby » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:37 am

I know this has probably been discussed many many times on these boards, but the inability of the Houllier/Thompson team to hold onto and bring Robbie back to form was one of the biggest crimes commited in Houlliers' 5 years in my eyes.

Blue eyed Owen was clearly always the favourite and afforded masses amounts of games without goals to find his form when recovering from his yearly hamstring pull.....Robbie was not. To ostracise Robbie the way that they did was unforgivable in my eyes.

I am not defending his party/(un)healthy lifestyle etc, but I think that we all forget how young these guys are and just how much money they have at their disposal. How many of us work for a boss who couldn't give a monkeys about us and make us feel like throwing the whole thing in and going out on the pi**? Imagine all the hangers on that being Robbie Fowler would bring to stroke the ego and take him off the rails. I really don't think that enough effort is put in by the clubs to look after the kids that they are paying that fortune to. Houllier wasn't standing for anything (more likely this was Thompson than Houllier) when he came in and he gave Robbie a "chance" because he knew how popular he was with the fans. I don't think his actions really backed that up.

I am sure that the other players must have been thinking the same thing that I was thinking when I saw an off-form/recovering from another injury Owen being given game after game to find his form, only to see all the other strikers have 20mins at best and certainly not more than 2 games back to back to achieve the same thing. It always looked like one rule for golden boy and another for the rest.
Homebooby

Postby Homebooby » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:39 am

for the record, in case you didn't notice, I am a Robbie fan ;-).

I think Owen is great, don't get me wrong. I just don't like seeing home-bred stars being allowed to die off like Robbie wise. As agreed in previous posts, when he was on his game, he was a star with a massive talent and we had him. I think that it is really worth fighting for.
Homebooby

Postby redandblue » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:58 pm

Owen by a long way. Consistently good, consistently scoring goals for LFC AND England. If he steers clear of injuries, could beat the record for top England international goalscorer, and get more than 100 caps. Great professional and role model.

Fowler? Good for a couple of seasons, a lot of talent, but ultimately a waster. Could have been one of the all time greats but chose a life outside the game. Too much drinking, not enough training and beached up like an overweight whale at an early age. Good professional drinker. Looks like a pub player for Man City at an age when he should be at his peak.
redandblue
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RobG14 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:35 pm

Its a non contest- folwer at his best was the deadliest striker in the premiership, if not europe. Scored all types of goals, inside the box, outside the box. The most natural goalscorer i have ever seen. The injuries that ruined his career was the worst thing that could have happened to us. He would have definately gone on to be the premierships greatest ever striker.

You cant even compare owen to fowler. Fowler never gave any of these 'make the champions league or i'll leave demands' like Owen. His loyalty was unquestionable- what a player!!!!!
RobG14

Postby stmichael » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:43 pm

fowler was a better goalscorer but owen is a superior footballer. simple really.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:09 pm

In a perfect world Fowler would have been the consumate professional, Owen would have stayed injury free and both would form the best partnership in Europe, scoring freely for the last 6 years, winning us the Premiership and the Champions League......

.....oh, what could have been... :(
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby zarababe » Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:15 am

so true JBG... what could have been :) zzzz  don't wake me up :)
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wiped » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:59 pm

Fowler .... never had the International glory of Owen but I couldn't give a flyin f*ck about that .... for Club - at his absolute top form ... Fowler - easy.
wiped
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:05 am

Fowler though Owen still has the time to change that, sadly i dont think Robbie has
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge