Fifteen years is a long time - 28th april 1990

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:03 am

Scarily its fifteen years to the day that we last won the holy grail that is the league championship with a win at Anfield over QPR thanks to goals from Rushie and Digger.

Whilst I am loving every minute of our Champions League jolly this term, and I enjoyed every moment of the treble season in 2001, it all pales into insignificance against the league.

This above all else is what we must strive for, and following his comments publicised yesterday, it looks like Rafa's right hand man knows it too.

I would give up all the cups we have won in the fifteen years since for one Championship, in fact I would give up all the women since then ! (Yes both of them :D )

Rafa, bring it home . . . .
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:05 am

The Championship is the Holy Grail. I remember that season well. We weren't as magnificent as other seasons but we still won in some style, if memory serves correct we hockeyed Coventry 6-1 on the last day with JB getting 3.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby azriahmad » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:09 am

Leon, did you mean "1988" or "1990" in the topic title? It was more like 1990 as I was studying in England at that moment in time.

Our side was better than the rest but that was not really a vintage year in terms of the quality of the Liverpool team but we had enough to win the league. Also, one player on loan from Standard Liege, one Ronny Rosenthal, played super-sub with much effect like David Fairclough during Keegan's time at Liverpool.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:31 am

it was 1990
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Big Niall » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:39 pm

Hanson said it was an average team and I remember thinking they were sliding (palace semi-final win convinced me) and it was the end of an era.

Winning the league now would be so much better as most fans (me anyway) began to take it for granted that we won the league at least once every two years and a major trophy practically every year.

15 years? wow.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:13 pm

hansen also predicted manutd would win nothing with kids?

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sean » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:06 pm

Dalglish made a mistake at the start of the season when he sold Aldridge after the Palace 9-0 game.  Also, Beardsley was in and out of the side.  The highlight for me was beating United 4-0.  I think Beardsley got a hat trick.  The low point wa sGlenn Hysen playing alongside Hansen at the back as Lawrenson's replacement.  This cost us the cup semi final that year.

In Dalglish's biography he claims that he was stressed out in the summer of '90 and wanted to step down / or take a sabbatical, as the Hillsborough trauma affected him but the board persuaded him not to.  In hindsight if they had allowed him take a sabatical he may have come back stronger and helped us to further glory.

Can't believe it's 15 years.  Liverpool winning the title, Ireland getting to the world cup quarter final and Cork winning the all-Ireland hurling and gaelic football double made it a special year.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby 65-1114725958 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:19 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:Scarily its fifteen years to the day that we last won the holy grail that is the league championship with a win at Anfield over QPR thanks to goals from Rushie and Digger.

Whilst I am loving every minute of our Champions League jolly this term, and I enjoyed every moment of the treble season in 2001, it all pales into insignificance against the league.

This above all else is what we must strive for, and following his comments publicised yesterday, it looks like Rafa's right hand man knows it too.

I would give up all the cups we have won in the fifteen years since for one Championship, in fact I would give up all the women since then ! (Yes both of them :D )

Rafa, bring it home . . . .

You are so wrong! I cant beleive you said this.

the champions league is the envy of every league team in europe, and not to mention the prestige to go with it!

Id give up all of LFC's league wins to win the CL!

it gives you recognition beyong belief, everyone knows you are kings of europe! the Milans, the Madrids etc. its puts LFc well on the map!

How many times did Man Utd win the European cup, compared to the league recently? they werent good enough, didnt have what it took.

This is the best chance  we will probably ever have of winning it again! you do need a lot of luck, too! and we have ahad that luck thus far, with injuries/ and results

And it would be remembered more favourably than any league win. thats for sure. just like the 4 cups won to date are remembered far more fondly than the last league title in 1990.

give me the champions league any day
65-1114725958

Postby Dalglish » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:19 am

I beg to differ Alfonso Alonso ...it's YOU that is so wrong my friend and I suspect your a supporter brought up in the modern era of over hyped SKY, artificially created excitement and short term fixes !

Shankly wasn't wrong when he said the League is the bread and butter and what a club like Liverpool exists for. What marks Liverpool FC out as one of the truly great teams (an over used word these days) was their ability to consistently win or challenge for the League title. It became the springboard to further glory in the form of 4 Champions league victories and the title of the world's strongest club side.

Look at Porto , last years CL winners. Do you seriously rank them alongside teams such as Real Madrid, AC Milan, Ajax and Liverpool ? ???

In this media induced frenzy and cash cow that is the Champions  League it is all too easy to get carried along with the hype and dismiss your teams domestic achievements ..........
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 65-1114725958 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:29 am

Dalglish, ok you were a great player!

but they days of Shanks are dead and buried! his philosophys etc, the way he played the game would not survive in todays climate. the game is now ruled by money

Saying FC porto are not a recognisable team? they were the envy of every team in europe, and had the shiny trophy to put in the cabinet.

In the champions league, you play against the top four sides, in all leagues on the continent.
but in the prem, you play versus west brom, norwich, palace and southampton. second rate sides

It is a completely different world.

i feel i was right with my comments
65-1114725958

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:17 am

Alfonso Alonso 1 wrote:but they days of Shanks are dead and buried! his philosophys etc, the way he played the game would not survive in todays climate. the game is now ruled by money

How the ****** do you know?

he is the greatest manger this club has ever had and you don't think he could cut it in today's game? ????? 

speechless.   :kungfu:
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:26 am

Dalglish, ok you were a great player!

Yes he was a king among footballers but don't tell me that you think that "Dalglish" is actually Dalglish himself? :D
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Starbridge42 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:54 am

Alfonso Alonso 1 wrote:but they days of Shanks are dead and buried! his philosophys etc, the way he played the game would not survive in todays climate. the game is now ruled by money

You are joking me??  Shankley was the greatest manager this club has ever seen and one of the greatest managers ever to grace the beautiful game.  Just like great players, great managers would succeed in any era.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby zarababe » Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:21 am

.. wow Alfonso lad you'll get it in the neck for the Sankly comments.. where are ya from ???

.. without question wining the league is the goal.. and Benitez has already indicated in his road map to success that achieiving this is his priority "we will never be that far ffom the the top again".. points gap that is... cups including CL is fantastic of course... but the league title is the ultimate achievement.. proven over 38 games as the best team, consistent etc etc..

.. this year for us, of course winning the CL will be awesome... but next year the priority has to be closing the points gap and challenging the moaners and groaners and the money bags brigade.. who sit above us this year... (Blush*te not included :D )
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:23 am

Exactly Zarababe
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion