12 months is a long time

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu May 25, 2006 11:12 am

So lets remind ourselves hey.

An un-ashamed thread dedicated to the glory that was Istanbul.

Post yer pics, videos, stories, whatever.

I will start with the final preview, bound to get the juices flowing:

25-05-2005 Preview

Happy Istanbuliverrsary.....
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu May 25, 2006 11:41 am

Brilliant vid Leon. Well posted. Still gets my nerves going does that. I've actually got goose-bumps.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Red Baron » Thu May 25, 2006 11:44 am

Wednseday 25th May 05,started for me at Liverpool Airport.No,Iwasnt going to Istanbul just dropping some mates off.I was gutted.I had been up to the airport quite a few times during the night[I drive a cab] but this was different.Iwas dropping the lads off.Lads I grew up with,the fellahs I have been to many finals with.The promise of some ciggies was no consilation.Handshakes and messages of good luck over with,I hung around the airport for half an hour or so taking in the atmosphere.As you can imagine it was a busy night/morning on the cabs but each trip to the airport got worse for me.I went home about 4am sulking all the way home,and logged on here for an hour or so,and then to bed.

The Alarm went off about 11am,up shower and out.I met my brother in town for the start of a marathon session.Liverpool city centre was buzzing with anticipation.Everywhere you looked was red and white.Ned Kellys a favoured bar with Liverpool fans,had a huge banner hanging outside that covered the whole front of the pub.The strains of ring of fire could be heard above the city traffic.It was a nice sunny day in Liverpool,we went and sat outside a bar near Queens square and watched Bus after bus unload expectant fans flooding in to savour the atmosphere.While we were sitting there this fellah turned up with an Everton flag around his shoulders.How he made it that far without getting filled in is a mystery,but if he came near us that was about to change.The doormen confiscated his flag for his own good which was just as well as my mate was just about to burn it while it was still around his shoulders.

As kick off time approached we were still undecided were we would be watching the match,it was getting late and all the big venues were choca.No cabs to be seen ,typical of us everything left until the last minitue.We jumped on a bus up to Kennsington and dived into The Pawn Shop.You couldnt move in there,but us being owl @rses we pushed our way through the packed pub to the best spec in the house.

We all know what happened next.A goal down,dont panic.Its early days yet.As the half progressed we sat shell shocked.Isaid to the lads "if we get one back before half time we will be alright".The half time whistle blew.Fu...ng hell.I felt sick.My brother turned to me and asked was I glad I hadnt gone.No chance. Its funny how at times like this silly things annoy you.There was a lad in the pub who it was obvious,knew nothing about football shouting at the screen,AC Milan your having a laugh.Under normal cicumstances Iwould just ignore him,but the die was cast if we get beat he is getting a smack.

The second half began with me saying we can do this[honest].When the first goal went in we were ecstatic.I glanced out of the window to a deserted main road,except one elderley man standing at a bus stop with two bags of shopping.People ran out of the pub to celebrate,the man just looked with no expression on his face.Vladi scored it was the same scene,the bus still hadnt come.XABI get in there,Ilooked to the old man who was now dancing in the road as his bus went past.

Extra time came and went,and Iwas confident we would win it.With the last kick saved pandomonium broke out.And the divi who was shouting at the telly didnt get a smack.

We carried on drinking and celebrating through the night,It was a great day.But not going to Istanbul is the biggest regret of my life.
You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older.
Little things like being spanked every day by a middle-aged woman.Stuff you pay good money for later in llife
The Red Baron
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu May 25, 2006 11:49 am

I've watched One Night In May twice in the last week.  Just thinking about this time last year makes me happy.  Such an amazing day and night.
jonnymac1979

Postby tubby » Thu May 25, 2006 12:58 pm

I missed that 1 night in may documentary. I might buy it if its sill floating around on Ebay.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu May 25, 2006 1:00 pm

I think I might have to watch the game again tonight. It should hae won an Oscar as well. :D
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby craig da Toxteth iron » Thu May 25, 2006 1:06 pm

jonnymac1979 wrote:I've watched One Night In May twice in the last week.  Just thinking about this time last year makes me happy.  Such an amazing day and night.

In one night in May. I just loved it when Dudek says F***king Hell. :eyebrow
Image Image

craig da Toxteth iron

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu May 25, 2006 1:09 pm

craig da Toxteth iron wrote:
jonnymac1979 wrote:I've watched One Night In May twice in the last week.  Just thinking about this time last year makes me happy.  Such an amazing day and night.

Small things....
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby craig da Toxteth iron » Thu May 25, 2006 1:11 pm

It Just one of those days that you remember everything that you did that day, where you were you when it happened, what clothes did you wore for the occasion, what did you had for tea etc.:)
Image Image

craig da Toxteth iron

Postby craig da Toxteth iron » Thu May 25, 2006 1:21 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
craig da Toxteth iron wrote:

Small things....

Every time that I watch one night in May I always have tears of joy when you see Liverpool going past St Georges  Hall because that’s were I was, & it was in my first champions League victory parade.  :D
Image Image

craig da Toxteth iron

Postby madred » Thu May 25, 2006 1:22 pm

The Ace1983 wrote:I think I might have to watch the game again tonight. It should hae won an Oscar as well. :D

Im always putting it on and it drives my girlfriend mad  :D  I just cant watch it enough. The celebrations when Dudek saved were just simply amazing especially Carra's mad hopping dance towards Dudek, jumping on him then darting off towards the fans. That moments lives with me just as much as Stevie lifting it.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu May 25, 2006 1:39 pm

The way Smicer kissed the badge after scoring the penalty got me really emotional, he knew he was being kicked out of the club and had been criticized left right and centre, but the way he kissed the badge was pure love and emotion. Was one the highlights of the final for me.

Anyone got a link to a video of that?

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Thu May 25, 2006 1:39 pm

Just watched disc1 of "Istanbul the Movie"...it's just about the fans the night before,Taksim sq on the day,taxi to the ground etc....I have a guest appearance in the movie but declined payment or title credit.
Wife will have to watch the game tonight instead of big brother.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby The Red Baron » Thu May 25, 2006 4:01 pm

Dont forget its also the anniversary, of our first European cup win in Rome.

Theres probably only me, Woof,John Bull and Supersub old enough to remember,29 years ago friggin ell.

Come on without,come on within you aint seen nothing like the mighty Emlyn
You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older.
Little things like being spanked every day by a middle-aged woman.Stuff you pay good money for later in llife
The Red Baron
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby joko » Thu May 25, 2006 4:05 pm

i was made up to tears for three days one year ago today.

YNWA
ImageImage Image
joko
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion