Gerrard will stay

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Silver » Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:00 pm

Parry confident Gerrard will stay 

Gerrard was linked with a move to Chelsea in the summer
Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry has warned off other clubs from trying to sign midfielder Steven Gerrard amid uncertainty over the club's ownership.
Parry told BBC Five Live's Sportsweek: "They can knock on the door but it will not be opening, that's for sure."

The Liverpool chief executive dismissed any link between the possibility of chairman David Moores stepping down and Gerrard leaving the Premiership club.

"I don't think the two are connected," Parry added.

Last week Moores said he would consider his future during a stormy annual general meeting.

On Friday Gerrard, who had been linked with move to Chelsea in the summer, stated that Moores had been one of the reasons behind his decision to stay at Liverpool rather than move to Stamford Bridge.

Parry added: "We can't guarantee that any player is going to stay in this day and age and we were absolutely delighted that Steven recommitted himself to the club in the summer.

"But we are certainly not complacent about the future. What Steven craves is success on the pitch - it's not about boardroom politics.

You only sell the family silver once

Rick Parry 

"If we win silverware we will keep our best players."

Parry is hopeful that the issue of the club's ownership will have been decided by next summer.

"It has gone on for a fair amount of time. I would certainly hope it would be resolved by the end of the season as it does create a climate of uncertainty."

Businessman Steve Morgan, who wants to invest a "substantial sum" according to Parry, has been negotiating with the club for the last nine months.

However, the Liverpool chief executive said other bids were also being considered.

"Steve would like to make an investment - as would a number of other interested parties.

"We are evaluating our options in a fairly measured way and we look forward to reaching the right conclusion.

"It is about reaching the right conclusion for the next 100 years, not for the next few months because you only sell the family silver once.

"There is a proposal from Steve Morgan, which is still on the table and has not been rejected by us and is absolutely receiving consideration."

Parry added he was unconvinced a possible groundshare with Everton, which has been backed by the North West Development Agency, will ever go ahead.

"Personally I'm not in favour and the majority of the supporters are not in favour.

"It's a business decision that should be left to the two clubs. I can't see it happening," he said."
You Never Walk Aone
Silver

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion