Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:52 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:21 am wrote:
Lallana in Pyjamas » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:00 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:50 pm wrote:In the 70's and 80's we spent big money to stay on top, we didn't stay on top on a shoestring budget.

We spent money when players left and replaced them

We sold Keegan and replaced him with Kenny

We sold Rush and replaced him for Barnes , Beardsley and Aldo

We certainly didn’t “spend big money” unless players left

In fact pretty much how the club is run now

https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/liv ... fc/1978/6/

Who left when we broke the club record fee on Mark Lawrenson or broke the world transfer record for an U21 player in Ian Rush? It's far too simplistic to say we spent money only when players left, we spent a lot of money to stay at the top.

We didn’t “spend a lot of money” - the club still worked within its budget as opposed to the whims or billionares and loans

When Lawernson was bought - multiple players left

Ian Rush only cost £300k

Just because it was a record for an U21 doesn’t mean it was lots of money

Remember we sold Keegan for £200k more than that 3 years previously

Many clubs were paying over a million for players - I believe it was Beardsley who was our first and that was paid for by the selling of Ian Rush

The club back then acted just like they are now , they bought sensibly within budgets and scouted properly to get the right players
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:03 am

Eagle » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:46 pm wrote:Over the last 10 months we have signed one of the best midfielders in the world, a £45 million backup forward, and a £35 million backup central defender. All of that in the middle of a financial crisis. Not as though we're raiding the bargain basket at Aldi.

The point is when we were in our pomp we often broke transfer records of some kind, when Keegan left for a record transfer fee we responded by signing Kenny for a record transfer fee between 2 British clubs then signed Graeme Souness for a record transfer fee between 2 English clubs, a year or so later we broke the world record for a U21 player when we signed Ian Rush and a year or so after that we broke the club record when we signed Mark Lawrenson. Peter Beardsley was a British transfer record. We didn't stay at the top solely by signing cut price bargains,
Obviously football has changed from back then, you didn't have financially doped clubs like City and Chelsea who basically came from nowhere to be major players overnight,  back in the day we were one of if not the richest club in the country because we strung together a sustained period of success, no one gave us anything we did it the hard way.
The point I am making is that it is very difficult to compete for the biggest prizes in the game when you are shopping at your local supermarket while your rivals are shopping At Harrods, the fact that those clubs shopping at Harrods did nothing to earn that right is infuriating.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:25 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:03 am wrote:
Eagle » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:46 pm wrote:Over the last 10 months we have signed one of the best midfielders in the world, a £45 million backup forward, and a £35 million backup central defender. All of that in the middle of a financial crisis. Not as though we're raiding the bargain basket at Aldi.

The point is when we were in our pomp we often broke transfer records of some kind, when Keegan left for a record transfer fee we responded by signing Kenny for a record transfer fee between 2 British clubs then signed Graeme Souness for a record transfer fee between 2 English clubs, a year or so later we broke the world record for a U21 player when we signed Ian Rush and a year or so after that we broke the club record when we signed Mark Lawrenson. Peter Beardsley was a British transfer record. We didn't stay at the top solely by signing cut price bargains,
Obviously football has changed from back then, you didn't have financially doped clubs like City and Chelsea who basically came from nowhere to be major players overnight,  back in the day we were one of if not the richest club in the country because we strung together a sustained period of success, no one gave us anything we did it the hard way.
The point I am making is that it is very difficult to compete for the biggest prizes in the game when you are shopping at your local supermarket while your rivals are shopping At Harrods, the fact that those clubs shopping at Harrods did nothing to earn that right is infuriating.

So when we sold Coutinho for a World transfer record

We bought VVD for a World Record fee for a defender

We then bought Allison for a World Record fee for a GK

Don’t forget we only signed Beardo because we sold Rush

Man Utd have been shopping at Harrods over the past 10 years - zero titles , zero CL in that period

It doesn’t matter where you get the player from as long as it’s the right player for the team

Who turned out to be better - Jota or Werner ?
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:19 am

As Klopp said “ I don’t want to manage the best team in the world, I want to manage the team that beats the best team in the world.”
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eagle » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:47 am

Neil Jones
@neiljonesgoal

Liverpool striker Taiwo Awoniyi is set to complete a £6.5m move to Union Berlin. Fee agreed, medical to take place later today.

Marko Grujic is also on his way out. The midfielder is in Portugal to finalise a move to FC Porto

Neil Jones
@neiljonesgoal

Grujic move to Porto is a permanent one, fee £10.5m.

Liverpool have a 10 per cent sell-on clause for both he and Awoniyi.
Eagle

Postby Eagle » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:08 am

We've done well in recent years in holding out for top dollar for players we don't need but I'm glad to see the club being a bit more flexible this summer. There is a need to clear the decks of players who Klopp doesn't really use. That's Grabara, Awoniyi and Grujic done. Would be nice to now move on Karius, Origi, Wilson, Ojo and Woodburn. Sounds like Shaqiri wants to move aswell.
Eagle

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:11 pm

Grujic will always be a puzzler to me. Why did we sign him?
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:17 am

7_Kewell » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:11 pm wrote:Grujic will always be a puzzler to me. Why did we sign him?

Just a theory but even though it was Klopp’s first purchase he must have been scouted prior and if my memory serves me correctly he was going to fill the hole left by Gerrard, he is a similar style player. He couldn’t fill the hole and we moved in a different direction as we don’t play with that type of player as he doesn’t cover the same miles as our current midfielders. This year i feel will be a change again after the loss of Gini with Fabinho and Thiago playing with more craft than industry, Grujic will never cover the miles needed to protect that partnership.

On a side note, I’ve been looking at players that have a high pass completion rate similar to Gini’s and the Brighton player Bissouma seems close (many of the midfielders linked have a lower completion rate), his pass completion was 87% compared to Gini’s 92% but with a better team and players around him he could well excel… he’s almost 25 years old.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:22 am

7_Kewell » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:11 pm wrote:Grujic will always be a puzzler to me. Why did we sign him?

I think he was earmarked to be the holding player but then they got Fabinho
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:48 am

Liverpool bank £17m from sale of Marko Grujic and Taiwo Awoniyi
Serbia midfielder Grujic is joining Porto for £10.5m while Nigeria striker Awoniyi is moving to Union Berlin for a club-record £6.5m fee

20 July 2021 • 8:04pm

Grujic, the Serbia midfielder, underwent a medical with Porto on Tuesday and has completed a £10.5m move to the Portuguese club, where he spent last season on loan.

Nigerian striker Awoniyi had a medical on Tuesday with Union Berlin and has joined the Bundesliga side for a club record £6.5m fee.

Liverpool are understood to have clauses in both deals that will entitle them to a 10 per cent sell on fee in the event either player is sold in the future.
Grujic, 25, made just 16 appearances for Liverpool after signing from Red Star Belgrade for about £4m in 2016.

The Serb was eager for regular first team football and the prospect of Champions League football with the World Cup finals less than 18 months away. Porto beat off stiff competition from rivals Sporting Lisbon, who had a €7m bid rejected earlier in the window, and Sassuolo to sign Grujic.

Sassuolo made a firm approach for Grujic although the situation was dependent on the sale of Italy midfielder Manuel Locatelli, who is wanted by Juventus and Arsenal.

Liverpool have made around £6.5m in profit from Grujic’s sale and earned in excess of £3m from loan fees following stints at Cardiff, with whom he won promotion to the Premier League, and Hertha Berlin.

Awoniyi, 23, was signed in 2015 for £300,000 after impressing in an Under-20 tournament with Nigeria meaning Liverpool have also made a profit in excess of £6m on him.

He was initially loaned to FSV Frankfurt in Germany after being unable to gain a work permit in the UK before spending time at Mouscron and Gent in Belgium. He spent the 2019/20 campaign with Jurgen Klopp’s former club Mainz before impressing on loan with Union Berlin last season that led to a permanent approach.

Grujic and Awoniyi’s sales take Liverpool’s summer transfer income to £21.6m. Goalkeeper Kamil Grabara and forward Liam Millar have already left for Copenhagen and Basel respectively.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:34 am

We need to get rid of Ox, Keita, Origi and replace with reliable players.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Welsh wizzard 13 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:44 am

So 21m in so far. Get 15m for Wilson 5m for karius 15m for origi  15m for shaquiri 10m for Phillips that's 81m to spend minimum
Welsh wizzard 13
LFC Member

Postby damjan193 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:16 am

7_Kewell » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:11 am wrote:Grujic will always be a puzzler to me. Why did we sign him?

Same reason we buy every other young cheap prospect, either they end up being good for us or we sell them for a profit, great for us either way. Grujic ended up being the latter.

We've done well selling some of these players but we still have ways to go. We still need to sell Wilson, Shaqiri/Origi (I'd keep one), Karius, Minamino etc. If we somehow manage to sell most of the deadwood we could likely have enough money to cover for the purchase of Konate AND for signing a new midfielder, so it's important that we keep trying to find buyers for these players.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:02 am

Looks like we will make more money on the sale of Luis Alberto and Coutinho who both look certain to leave their clubs, could be an extra 10-15 million.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eagle » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:34 am

kazza » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:02 am wrote:Looks like we will make more money on the sale of Luis Alberto and Coutinho who both look certain to leave their clubs, could be an extra 10-15 million.

Don't think we has any sell on fee for Countinho? We did for Ings though.
Eagle

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill