LIVERPOOL v burnley Thur 21st Jan 8.00pm KO

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby electrum » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:03 pm

Three away games next- need 7 points minimum- otherwise we will probably finish outside the top 4.

This is no longer a blip - we haven't scored a goal in FOUR games - it's not just the performance its the complete lack of cutting edge.

We need a radical change in mentality and in our approach to these park the bus teams.
electrum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby redshade » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:05 pm

We can forget about the title now and focus on staying in a UCL spot.
The team is lost, watching us reminds me of one of the world cups when you saw attack Vs defense, boring matches.

Our crosses were poor, couldn't break through their defence and so forth. I think even if we had open net we would've fluffed it wide or over.

This just feels like Liverpool of old, very depressing.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:06 pm

Sad to lose that record with a performance like that. Think that's us in terms of the title also.

Anyway another really poor performance. Tactically things are not working. This cycling of the ball across the opposition's box before either Mo cuts inside or Trent/Robbo crosses it to nothing. Why are they even trying to cross it anyway in to a packed box when our players are the smallest in there. Its beyond belief how some of those lads can repeat the same mistakes over and over again and learn nothing.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:06 pm

Every team has a shelf life and I think this one has deffo peaked and is now on its way down the other side of the mountain.
The front 3 are a pale shadow of the trio who were regarded as arguably the most potent strike force in Europe. Shanks and Bob both had to break up successful teams and start again, time for Jurgen to do the same.
Last edited by ycsatbjywtbiastkamb on Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:06 pm

So many players off the boil. TAA has been particularly woeful
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:15 pm

Trent has been dreadful since he came back from his injury.. Do we take a gamble and move him into midfield and see if he can adapt? I don't rate Neco I don't think he's at the level he needs to be yet.. But Trents service tonight was woeful.

I think they said he had zero accuracy percentage on his crosses tonight.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:19 pm

3 points from possible 15...  Says it all.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:29 pm

Klopp’s played Mane, Mo, Bobby, Robbo and Trent every week for 3 seasons, they’re burned out.

Losing our much spoken about 68 home game run 'happens' but shouldn't be a shock, if it was a one-off bad performance I'd be upset but it wasn’t. It’s the inevitable outcome of 5 poor performances and... when did we last score.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:42 am

Needed quality backup to build on success but we chose to flog our horses to death. Two seasons full pelt to compete with Man City. We are currently two continuous Grand Nationals around Aintree running against fresher starters. Desire is there but no legs. In the past we have failed to build on success and history is repeating itself. Not enough strength in depth, blame FSG probably or Klopp for that.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Penguins » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:38 am

This is why you sell players at 29-30....

Salah, Firmino and Mane should be sold asap as it would allow for a complete revamp of hungry players.
But my guess it they'll stay on and waste away to move away at 33 for a pittance....
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:21 am

Reg wrote:Klopp’s played Mane, Mo, Bobby, Robbo and Trent every week for 3 seasons, they’re burned out.

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:Every team has a shelf life and I think this one has deffo peaked and is now on its way down the other side of the mountain.

Both of these hit the nail on the head imo. With Klopps heavy metal style of play you need to constantly freshen up the squad to keep things at a certain level and we didn't do that through not signing players and persisting with failed ones.  Look at the state of that miss from Origi tonight and ask yourself how he is still here even getting that chance. Too many of our players are ageing as well.

I was surprised to see both Firmino and Salah dropped tonight but it was deserved. Unfortunately we also see why Klopp has to keep playing them as well.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:47 am

Thought Shaq and Matip both made significant impacts on the game so well done to both.

Continuing the theme of the post match discussion it is now obvious that we have to get rid of the injury prone and under performing players who simply suck at our financial resources whilst not making contributions to share the load. Ox, Oirigi, Keita, Minimino etc.. Tough decisions have to be made but it would be gut wrenching if we slip back into nothingness for another 5 years.

This isn't the end of the world, it's a wake up call and we have to act on it. My plan would be:
1. Get rid of the non-performers,
2. Bring in specific replacements to boost attack, midfield and defence.
3. Go through each player in the squad with a realistic sell by date with 3 potential replacements.

Time for LFC to address these issues properly rather than running your best players into the ground.
Last edited by Reg on Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:52 pm

Don't think we will do anything in this window so have got to look within the squad for a solution. Getting Fab out of defense is a start which will allow Thiago to be more forward. Getting the ball moving quickly through midfield into attack is a massive failure atm. 

The players themselves need to step out of the box and make something happen rather than hiding behind defenders hoping the perfect pass comes. We need driving runs from the midfield and not be afraid to take a shot at the end. Deflections, keeper pushing it into the path of an incoming player or even score are all possible scenarios.  If teams fear the midfield then it will create space for the front lads.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:30 pm

red till i die!! » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:52 pm wrote:Don't think we will do anything in this window so have got to look within the squad for a solution. Getting Fab out of defense is a start which will allow Thiago to be more forward. Getting the ball moving quickly through midfield into attack is a massive failure atm. 

The players themselves need to step out of the box and make something happen rather than hiding behind defenders hoping the perfect pass comes. We need driving runs from the midfield and not be afraid to take a shot at the end. Deflections, keeper pushing it into the path of an incoming player or even score are all possible scenarios.  If teams fear the midfield then it will create space for the front lads.

Yep, spot on, one of the few times we had Burnley genuinely stretched last night was when Gini went on that driving mazy run.
Where the hell is Keita? He’s pretty good at that.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games