LIVERPOOL v burnley Sat 21st Aug 12.30pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby damjan193 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:53 pm

Nice, professional win. They tried to make it difficult for us, especially by being really physical but we coped with it well and managed the win.

That back 5 looked great, especially happy to see both Matip and van Dijk looking like they're back to their best, while Tsimkas looks like a very solid back-up for Robbo. Young lad Elliot did pretty good for his full debut as well.

All in all a very good performance, looking forward to the game against Chelsea next weekend.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:19 pm

Well done Reds, picking up where we left off last season. Onwards and upwards.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:50 pm

I'm going to disagree with Jurgen, he's not happy that the refs are letting a bit more go but I think it's absolutely fantastic. It makes for a far, far better spectacle than all that continuous stop-start/players flopping over at the slightest touch malarkey. Personally i thought the ref had a great game.
As for us I thought we handled them really well, they had a couple of chances but if any team is going to benefit from the new rule changes its them, they will give a lot of teams trouble this season not just us. We stood up to the physical challenge really well, particularly our 2 CB's.
Well done lads, can't wait for next week.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:05 pm

Klopp is just concerned because we have a few that is made of glass. I personally think it makes for a better game as 80% of the fouls they gave in previous seasons were an absolute joke.  It was Ferguson's who started all that shyte years ago moaning about players they spent a lot of money on getting injured.

Anyway another good result today, more minutes under the belt for Virgil and another clean sheet. Didnt think anyone stood out as playing out of their skin but plenty of solid performances in there. Wee harvey has a great eye for a pass but thought he struggled a bit physically. Burnley are rough so I'm probably a bit hard on him but overall he had a great debut. Kostas did well and outside of 10 yard passes he has much better end product than Robbo. Was surprised to see Andy on the bench as well as I though hed be at least another few weeks off. As I said there was solid performances all over the pitch but my MOTM goes to Matip.

Cant wait for the next match  :buttrock
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:26 am

red till i die!! » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:05 pm wrote:Klopp is just concerned because we have a few that is made of glass. I personally think it makes for a better game as 80% of the fouls they gave in previous seasons were an absolute joke.  It was Ferguson's who started all that shyte years ago moaning about players they spent a lot of money on getting injured.

Anyway another good result today, more minutes under the belt for Virgil and another clean sheet. Didnt think anyone stood out as playing out of their skin but plenty of solid performances in there. Wee harvey has a great eye for a pass but thought he struggled a bit physically. Burnley are rough so I'm probably a bit hard on him but overall he had a great debut. Kostas did well and outside of 10 yard passes he has much better end product than Robbo. Was surprised to see Andy on the bench as well as I though hed be at least another few weeks off. As I said there was solid performances all over the pitch but my MOTM goes to Matip.

Cant wait for the next match  :buttrock

Yeah Matip was outstanding. You make a really good point about Tsimkas's end product as well mate, he's not as solid defensively as Robbo and is prone to lapses in concentration but his delivery into the box is far better than Robbo's, offensively it's almost like having a Trent on either flank.
As for Elliott he's clearly not the finished product yet but at 18 you wouldn't expect him to be, yesterday's game was his full premier league debut yet the lad played with the swagger and confidence of someone with a 100 starts under their belt. He is clearly way, way ahead of the curve.
The key thing for him now though should be progression, he's got to concentrate on progressing and not stagnating, the ability to keep on progressing is what separates the Gerrard's and Lampard's from the Woodburn's and Andre Wisdom's, all of whom made great starts to their careers.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:51 am

Excellent result against a tricky team. Great game and whilst Burnley only had 9 attempts with 3 on target they certainly looked threatening especially in the first half. Tsimitas seems to be settling down to life at Liverpool and now looks like a real threat to Robbo’s position which is great news as it will put pressure on Robbo. VVD looks as if never been away - amazing player. Hendo and Elliot did really well in midfield. Overall a very good team performance. We just need to be a lot more lucky with injuries and we will be a real threat for the title.
Last edited by devaney on Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:58 pm

Great result against a tricky and physical team. Although I see Thiago as a Rolls Royce midfielder, he does worry me with his rash challenges and under pressure passes, he does not cope well with physical play and this year it looks like they are going to let them play more so he might  make the odd mistake or two a match and put us under pressure. Hopefully with Fabinho in the side he has less defensive burden.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:34 pm

Agree with all that and also a mention for Naby Keita who was excellent. The biggest regret for this season for me is not having Gini but the midfield did well yesterday. Great start with a monster game coming up.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eagle » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:26 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:50 pm wrote:I'm going to disagree with Jurgen, he's not happy that the refs are letting a bit more go but I think it's absolutely fantastic. It makes for a far, far better spectacle than all that continuous stop-start/players flopping over at the slightest touch malarkey. Personally i thought the ref had a great game.
As for us I thought we handled them really well, they had a couple of chances but if any team is going to benefit from the new rule changes its them, they will give a lot of teams trouble this season not just us. We stood up to the physical challenge really well, particularly our 2 CB's.

I watched Klopp's interview on BT sport straight after the game before all the media coverage of his comments and I took at as him addressing a particular gripe in the way Barnes and and Wood were "challenging" van Djik and Matip when the ball was in the air. Instead of going for the ball they were trying to knock our CBs off balance during their jump so they lost control of their landing and ended up in a heap on the floor and allowing Burnley to pick up the second ball. When you lose control of your landing like that and fall awkwardly you're at high risk of doing serious damage to your ankle and knee. So you can see why Klopp was frustrated as van Djik and Matip have just come back from serious knee and ankle injuries respectively. As Klopp said, we don't want referees stopping play for every single challenge that is borderline but you'd expect them to blow the whistle for this sort of thing. The sort of challenges that I think Klopp had a problem with the referee ignoring were similar to the ones in the below video.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comment ... _the_same/

I was also astonished that a yellow card wasn't given when Jota was grabbed and thrown to the floor when he was holding a player off!
Eagle

Postby Tommy Smith » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:05 pm

It was a good win and a clean sheet over the past two games, however, I am still not happy with our defense it was easily penetrated, and against top-quality teams, we wouldn't the same outcome.  Tsimkas is not only equal to Robbo, but he is quite ahead of him in all departments, it is only pitty Klopp didn't see that quality last season!

Can anybody tell me why Klopp is opted to select two subs-keepers? instead of one as normal with all other clubs he has done that last season, it is beyond me.

Chelsea game will be a stern test for us and I hope we will win.

Good Luck lads
Tommy Smith
LFC Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:34 pm

Eagle » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:26 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:50 pm wrote:I'm going to disagree with Jurgen, he's not happy that the refs are letting a bit more go but I think it's absolutely fantastic. It makes for a far, far better spectacle than all that continuous stop-start/players flopping over at the slightest touch malarkey. Personally i thought the ref had a great game.

I watched Klopp's interview on BT sport straight after the game before all the media coverage of his comments and I took at as him addressing a particular gripe in the way Barnes and and Wood were "challenging" van Djik and Matip when the ball was in the air. Instead of going for the ball they were trying to knock our CBs off balance during their jump so they lost control of their landing and ended up in a heap on the floor and allowing Burnley to pick up the second ball. When you lose control of your landing like that and fall awkwardly you're at high risk of doing serious damage to your ankle and knee. So you can see why Klopp was frustrated as van Djik and Matip have just come back from serious knee and ankle injuries respectively. As Klopp said, we don't want referees stopping play for every single challenge that is borderline but you'd expect them to blow the whistle for this sort of thing. The sort of challenges that I think Klopp had a problem with the referee ignoring were similar to the ones in the below video.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comment ... _the_same/

I was also astonished that a yellow card wasn't given when Jota was grabbed and thrown to the floor when he was holding a player off!

He was making a general point about it as well, he even referenced Brentford's second goal against Arsenal last week.
Personally I'd like to see the game restored to how it was in the 60's, 70's and 80's - two footed tackles, tackles from behind, the lot. That stuff was part of football for over a century and no one batted an eyelid. In the 50's it was actually legal for the forward to charge the goalie and try and barge him in the net as long as he was holding the ball, that one's a bit much even for me.
It only changed when big clubs started to spend ridiculous amounts on players and wanted to "protect their investment".The rich and the powerful gaming the system to suit their own needs. Getting rid of the physicality out of the game just tilted an already tilted table even further in favour of the big clubs, a youngster these days must look at the FA Cup and wonder what all the fuss was about, these days if a big club gets drawn against a lower division club they just send their kids and still run out 4-0 winners, back in the day a top flight club v a lower division club was essential viewing, it's just a cakewalk these days because the lesser lights have been de-fanged by the lobbying power of the big clubs.
From 1960-73 Burnley, Ipswich, Leeds, Derby, Manchester City, Manchester United, Arsenal, Tottenham, Everton and of course us all won the title, look at the modern era, 3 names (Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea) account for 23 of the last 29 titles, that's not an accident, that's by design, the game was changed in order to tilt the table in favour of the rich and powerful clubs. Bring back the physicality into the game, restore footy to how it was meant to be and slightly readdress the balance for once back in the direction of the smaller clubs because the direction of travel over the last 30 years has all been the other way.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:23 am

Klopp is right to raise the point as the Referees' Association demonstrated last season they are impervious to all criticism and sensible debate on VAR, soft penalties etc.. until mangers/clubs and eventually the media get behind it. If the barometer has swung 180 degrees and rugby tackles are now allowed then it makes a farce of paying 100 million for a top striker when he'll get battered by a 10 million thug playing as a defender. VVD is a glorious defender proving that there is no place in the game for rugby style tackles.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games