Virgil van Dijk - Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:51 pm

I'm still f**ing fuming about that tackle. But we'll get through this.

The club won't spare any expense getting this fixed. Get we'll soon big Virge. I'm sure he'll make a full recovery, just like these guys https://www.squawka.com/en/famous-footballers-acl-injury-recoveries/
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:15 pm

I know it might not be much but at least he walked off rather than being stretchered to a waiting ambo. They are saying its his ACL but it might not be on the worst end of the scale.  When they operate hopefully its not as bad as they feared and he gets back quicker than expected.

A massive loss for us for sure but by no means the end of our season or hopes of retaining the title  :no
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:05 pm

Normally a 9-12 month recovery time so I'd suspect he misses the rest of the season and the Euros and then is back in pre-season doing a slightly tailored program. Maybe eased in with 1 game a week over August/September. Always a chance that they find the tear isn't as bad as they thought once they open him up.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:27 pm

Question now is how do we cope without him? Glad Matip is back but him and Gomez are known for having spells out.

I think we will have to strengthen in Jan and snap a quality CB.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:13 pm

As crazy as it sounds, right now Thiago’s injury is more of a concern. Fabinho can do a good job at CB and Thiago in the middle with Hendo and Gini doing the legwork (a fantastic midfield) that is still an exceptional team capable of beating anyone and I do think that this year will be similar to last with most teams beating most teams, and certainly possible for us to repeat. The most important part of that equation is Thiago staying fit.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:59 am

Just to cheer you up / you may recall in 1984 Dalglish (arguably more important to to that team than Virg is to this) missed 14 league games after the Manc animal Moran smashed him in the face in Feb - we were behind the Mancs at that point  . Kenny came back at the end of March ... you know what happened in April and May ......  :buttrock
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:20 am

It’s going to be tough for us, teams are deffo going to target us in the air, imo if we are going to retain our title we are going to have to score a lot of goals because I can see us conceding a fair few. Look at the Everton game, Gomez and Matip had solid games generally and we were clearly the better side yet Everton scored 2 headers and hit the post with a third.
Hate to say it but I think that could be the pattern for the season, we dominate games but leak stupid goals from set pieces and dead ball situations etc.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Wed May 12, 2021 2:50 pm

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/f ... g-20577889

Hopefully we will have the beast back when next season starts.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Wed May 12, 2021 4:08 pm

Maybe his recovery isnt going as expected if he is making a decision to withdraw now.
Hopefully come august he is fit again and back at his best because we are going to need him.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Eagle » Wed May 12, 2021 4:42 pm

Proper recovery from an ACL is a minimum of 9 months which takes van Djik to the end July. Playing any competitive games before that would have been a huge risk and would have increased the chances of a recurrence and a shorter career. Even between months 9-12 it needs to be managed so he might only be playing 1 game a week for the first month or two of the season.
Eagle

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed May 12, 2021 7:15 pm

Fantastic news. This means VVD gets a full recovery and a full pre-season. Hopefully he comes back just as good as before.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eagle » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:35 pm

James Pearce
@JamesPearceLFC
#LFC have gradually increased the intensity of Van Dijk's training load and he keeps on passing the tests. Now pencilled in for a short cameo v Hertha on Thursday after nine months out. Will be great to see him back.
Eagle

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:33 pm

What's everyone's verdict on Virgil this season?

Has he fully recovered from his acl injury or are we covering something up so teams don't target him.

I'm saying this because I've not seen him sprint all season.. If he's caught out he'll do a steady run to try and get close to being back into position.

Can he not spring as high since the injury? I noticed he got beat in the air twice by Vardy, and Azpilicueta beat him when Virg had a running jump on him at the backpost.

Maybe I'm reading more into this but something seems off with him.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:40 pm

He's definitely no where near to what he was before the injury and will likely never get to that level again. Still the best CB in the league though IMO, which is saying a lot about his ability and how good he actually was.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:05 pm

UvS xR4GEx » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:33 am wrote:What's everyone's verdict on Virgil this season?

Has he fully recovered from his acl injury or are we covering something up so teams don't target him.

I'm saying this because I've not seen him sprint all season.. If he's caught out he'll do a steady run to try and get close to being back into position.

Can he not spring as high since the injury? I noticed he got beat in the air twice by Vardy, and Azpilicueta beat him when Virg had a running jump on him at the backpost.

Maybe I'm reading more into this but something seems off with him.

My thoughts exactly.  Pace and positioning seem a bit off . Still a top CB but just doesn't seem as commanding as he was prior to his injury.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion