CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL 2018  LIVERPOOL V REAL MADRID

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby mart » Mon May 28, 2018 12:53 pm

red till i die!! » Sun May 27, 2018 9:33 pm wrote:The real reason we lost that game was because we bottled it again as soon as Salah left the pitch. Bringing on Lallana was an awful decision as he played like a lad who hadn't played in a year so shouldn't have been given the nod.

Sadly so did the rest of the team except the defense. Real Madrid dominated the game completely after Salah got injured, and thats not Lallana or Karius fault alone. Real Madrid didnt even play that well but they still had a lot more quality than us especially in midfield. Imagine the uproar caused by that idiot rushing the field at the end in a clear goalscoring opportunity if RM hadnt won already. In the end RM was closer to 4 or 5 goals than we were to getting a second.

We lost because we had no leaders, not enough quality going forward and nothing on the bench, while RM can afford to keep a player like Bale on the bench.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby Franky000 » Mon May 28, 2018 2:22 pm

I understand everyone is devastated, but we've been here several times before remember, yet we keep coming back again and again like a tenacious dog. It's quite incredible that we managed to reach the final in the first place tbh - nobody predicted that at the start of the season. I don't want to flog a dead horse here but it's obvious now what needs to be done to take us a step further. I commend the owners for attempting to take on the "dinaosaurs" with limited funds, but their philosophy doesn't necessarily have to be carried out every season. I'd like to see them just go for it and loosen the purse strings every 2 seasons or so, because its obvious that with more quality this manager can win us trophies. You can argue that we were unlucky not to win the Europa, the CL etc., and i'd agree, but with greater squad depth we could have seen these games through. On wards and upwards anyhow, im not gonna drive myself nuts thinking of what could have been - it's been a great ride.

Btw, is there a reason why Algie hasn't been banned yet? Is he really adding anything to the forum? Can't the mods pull their finger out and banish his a$$ to the void? He's a bad omen and a monkey on this forum's back.
Franky000

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Mon May 28, 2018 8:23 pm

I think a few in here are trying to over-analyse everything.

It's very simple we lost this match due to:

1. Our best player nearly got his arm ripped out of its socket by a dirty defender.

2. Our keeper makes the worst blunders I've ever seen due to poor concentration, to gift them two goals, and should never play for us again after that debacle.

3. Klopp brings on Lallana who hasn't played all season instead of Ings/Solanke, and was useless.

4. Our midfield is wafer thin with quality,  with no supply to the attack, so Firmino and, Mane had to come deep to get the ball.

Madrid weren't anywhere near as good as Man City, so we blew it.

Could be another decade until we reach another European final, so enjoy this one while it lasts.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon May 28, 2018 9:10 pm

So many fans were saying how we would destroy Madrid with our attack ,but in truth it was always going to be a story of class and although it hurts saying as such ,Madrids midfield dominated the pace 'all albeit from the first 20' min' of the game  practically for the entirety of the game. If anyone's in any doubt of the difference in class they should play the game back and watch Modric's and Casemiro's monstrous displays in the middle and then look to the performance of Varane to see how far we need to come in terms of personnel ,I mean we went into the final of the most definitive competition in a players career with a 32 year old Milner as first choice ,I love Milner and he works hard but we should not be going into a final with Milner as first choice.

I mean did anyone truly believe that we would succeed with that midfield ? Salah's injury was unfortunate but the ease with which his threat was curtailed by the imperious Varane was there for all to see ,Ramos is just a ***** 'plain and simple' not just on the field but off and I hope some of these supposed fatwas being placed  on his head come to fruition and it proves more successful than Salmon Rushdie and the next time we see Madrid they're all in black armbands ,I'm sorry but this ***** actions both on Karius and Salah will haunt me for many a moon so I proffer no apologies for wanting him to suffer.

Wjinaldum was abysmal couldn't pick out the simplest of passes and Milner was just made to look tired by defenders that pinned him to the flanks ,Henderson was our best midfielder and Mane and Robertson our best players ,Firmino never made any impact whatsoever and was marshaled intelligently and the less said regarding Karius's contribution the better for all the forum. Lets face it, we were beaten by a strong motivated team packed with class and a team that go into games with a plan ,they dominated possession ,blunted our attack and nullified our midfield ,sometimes you have just got to admit that a  quality eleven that know how to wear teams down by fair means or foul will always be closer to lifting cups than ourselves ,I mean their bench was littered with attacking superstars ,we had Solanke.

We done amazingly well to get this far and we exceeded the expectations of most fans ,we now need the club to back the manager with the funds to take us that one step further ,so we don't have to play at being the poor visiting  relatives the next time we tip up at a final.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Mon May 28, 2018 10:01 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon May 28, 2018 8:10 pm wrote:So many fans were saying how we would destroy Madrid with our attack ,but in truth it was always going to be a story of class and although it hurts saying as such ,Madrids midfield dominated the pace 'all albeit from the first 20' min' of the game  practically for the entirety of the game. If anyone's in any doubt of the difference in class they should play the game back and watch Modric's and Casemiro's monstrous displays in the middle and then look to the performance of Varane to see how far we need to come in terms of personnel ,I mean we went into the final of the most definitive competition in a players career with a 32 year old Milner as first choice ,I love Milner and he works hard but we should not be going into a final with Milner as first choice.

I mean did anyone truly believe that we would succeed with that midfield ? Salah's injury was unfortunate but the ease with which his threat was curtailed by the imperious Varane was there for all to see ,Ramos is just a ***** 'plain and simple' not just on the field but off and I hope some of these supposed fatwas being placed  on his head come to fruition and it proves more successful than Salmon Rushdie and the next time we see Madrid they're all in black armbands ,I'm sorry but this ***** actions both on Karius and Salah will haunt me for many a moon so I proffer no apologies for wanting him to suffer.

Wjinaldum was abysmal couldn't pick out the simplest of passes and Milner was just made to look tired by defenders that pinned him to the flanks ,Henderson was our best midfielder and Mane and Robertson our best players ,Firmino never made any impact whatsoever and was marshaled intelligently and the less said regarding Karius's contribution the better for all the forum. Lets face it, we were beaten by a strong motivated team packed with class and a team that go into games with a plan ,they dominated possession ,blunted our attack and nullified our midfield ,sometimes you have just got to admit that a  quality eleven that know how to wear teams down by fair means or foul will always be closer to lifting cups than ourselves ,I mean their bench was littered with attacking superstars ,we had Solanke.

We done amazingly well to get this far and we exceeded the expectations of most fans ,we now need the club to back the manager with the funds to take us that one step further ,so we don't have to play at being the poor visiting  relatives the next time we tip up at a final.

Good post
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Mon May 28, 2018 11:18 pm

Ghost of Shankly » Mon May 28, 2018 7:23 pm wrote:I think a few in here are trying to over-analyse everything.

1. Our best player nearly got his arm ripped out of its socket by a dirty defender.

2. Our keeper makes the worst blunders I've ever seen due to poor concentration, to gift them two goals, and should never play for us again after that debacle.

3. Klopp brings on Lallana who hasn't played all season instead of Ings/Solanke, and was useless.

4. Our midfield is wafer thin with quality,  with no supply to the attack, so Firmino and, Mane had to come deep to get the ball.

Could be another decade until we reach another European final, so enjoy this one while it lasts.

Spot on...Losing salah and the dodgy keeper had a massive impact on the rest of the team
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Tue May 29, 2018 2:16 am

Mikz » Mon May 28, 2018 11:18 pm wrote:
Ghost of Shankly » Mon May 28, 2018 7:23 pm wrote:I think a few in here are trying to over-analyse everything.

Spot on...Losing salah and the dodgy keeper had a massive impact on the rest of the team

Yup agree with GOS however i disagree with your last line.

I personally think we will do really well in the next few years in Europe and wouldn't be surprised if he hit another final in the next couple of years.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue May 29, 2018 8:13 am

Yeah, our fans get up for the knockout stages of the CL in a big way, I think other teams get a bit psyched out by the whole mythology surrounding European nights at Anfield as well, no one can say we'll 100% get to the final again next year but I think we'll continue to do well in the CL.
It's disappointing to lose to Madrid but there are a lot of positives to take from this year, what happened to City and Roma at our place will just add to the mythology, no one will be wanting to draw us in the KO stages next season and in sport psychology plays a big role, once teams start fearing you they are already half beaten, United had that during the 90's, teams rolled up to Old Trafford expecting to get beat and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
In Europe Anfield has definately got into other teams heads and because of the Anfield factor I think we'll be very competitive again next year, plus the likes of Messi and Ronaldo are not getting any younger either.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Tue May 29, 2018 8:58 am

RBG the game is all about opinions and to be honest I think your talking a lot of sh.it. To suggest that you would like to see Ramos murdered is somewhat pathetic in the extreme. You sound like a fkg spoiled child mate. Ramos is a hard defender. We have had our share of those over the years so don't moan when sh.it happens.

Suggesting that Milner shouldn't have played was a little ironic considering the number of assists he has had in this seasons CL. If you had said the said about Henderson or possibly Wynaldum then I would have agreed.

Let's face it Salah's injury was a massive upset but the biggest problem was what we had sitting on the bench and that is why we lost the game. Klopp has done reasonably well in the transfer market but the club has allowed us to be ridiculously weak when it comes to strength in depth. Some posters have suggested that we have got a brilliant first team. I just wish I could agree. We have a captain who has perfected the five yard backwards pass. He also lacks creation and the ability to motivate. We have a midfield that is one of the worst in Luverpool's history when it comes to creating goal scoring opportunities. Defensively they are reasonable. Our defence before  the arrival of VVD was poor. We are a work in progress. This summer is going to very important as to who goes and who comes in.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue May 29, 2018 10:01 am

devaney » Tue May 29, 2018 7:58 am wrote:RBG the game is all about opinions and to be honest I think your talking a lot of sh.it. To suggest that you would like to see Ramos murdered is somewhat pathetic in the extreme. You sound like a fkg spoiled child mate. Ramos is a hard defender. We have had our share of those over the years so don't moan when sh.it happens.

Suggesting that Milner shouldn't have played was a little ironic considering the number of assists he has had in this seasons CL. If you had said the said about Henderson or possibly Wynaldum then I would have agreed.

Let's face it Salah's injury was a massive upset but the biggest problem was what we had sitting on the bench and that is why we lost the game. Klopp has done reasonably well in the transfer market but the club has allowed us to be ridiculously weak when it comes to strength in depth. Some posters have suggested that we have got a brilliant first team. I just wish I could agree. We have a captain who has perfected the five yard backwards pass. He also lacks creation and the ability to motivate. We have a midfield that is one of the worst in Luverpool's history when it comes to creating goal scoring opportunities. Defensively they are reasonable. Our defence before  the arrival of VVD was poor. We are a work in progress. This summer is going to very important as to who goes and who comes in.

Keita and Fabinho are done deals so our midfield should be significantly stronger next season, hopefully we'll sign Fekir as well. Add a top keeper to that lot and we are starting to look a serious outfit.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue May 29, 2018 2:27 pm

devaney » Tue May 29, 2018 7:58 am wrote:RBG the game is all about opinions and to be honest I think your talking a lot of sh.it. To suggest that you would like to see Ramos murdered is somewhat pathetic in the extreme. You sound like a fkg spoiled child mate. Ramos is a hard defender. We have had our share of those over the years so don't moan when sh.it happens.

Like I said in the post ,I offer no apologies for suggesting a more successful fatwa would be a way to move forward  :D As for the rest, as you know Dev I lose little sleep over those that don't concur with my opinions and for those foolish enough to believe they will dissuade me from venting my spleen when the need arises. I personally think its being cynical and to an extent mocking to suggest that a player who many(on this very forum) expressed their concerns over him not having the legs to take a midfield position found himself playing a crucial position in a Champions league final. I know I was one who aired my reservations pertaining to this and I have yet to alter my view ,in all honesty if someone had suggested at the start of the season that we would reach a final and  we would start a game of that significance with the midfield we did I would have laughed in their face ,how many of us watched a deteriorating Gerrard struggle because he no longer had the legs and yet we champion the inclusion of a 32 year old in our biggest game of the season. Yes Milner is a battler and he gives his all ,but in truth he's just an aging journeyman who we desperately need to improve on ,we certainly don't want to be landing on the date of another momentous day in the football calendar watching our midfield struggling against the kind of quality opponents we faced in Kiev.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed May 30, 2018 6:14 am

Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Wed May 30, 2018 7:09 am

Despicable cheating thug and supporters have every right to be angry. Had one of our players taken out Ronaldo what would their fans be saying? It's normal for us to be angry. Just because defenders did that thirty years ago is no justification, whether we once had players like that or not. Game has changed and and there is no place for players like that, I pay a lot of money in one way or another to watch and I want to be entertained by skill, not thugs/cheats that are there to remove it from the game. The fact that the referee did not even call a foul and acknowledge this just added to the injustice, watching him smiling while Salah walked off the field in tears said it all. It was such a pivotal  moment that I bet the Real players celebrated what he did in the dressing room.

I don't agree with those that say it is part of the game. In those " old days" when it was ok to do it they played with heavy leather balls on bumpy muddy pitches, now they stitch fibers into the million pound grass and water the pitch before the match for the ball to zip around... because we want to see skill and creativity.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Wed May 30, 2018 9:01 am

Kazza - being angry is one thing. I am disgusted at what happened during the game. Issuing Fatwa's for Ramos and death threats towards Karius from our own so-called fans is another thing altogether. Quite pathetic in my view and anybody that thinks that is ok needs to have a good look at themselves.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Wed May 30, 2018 9:49 am

Thats fine Devaney, you've made your point.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games