Liverpool vs Real Madrid UCL last 16. 21/02 20:00 Ko

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:37 pm

I think alot of our big performers over previous seasons are really struggling. You can't argue the contribution and good times we've had with some of the lads.. but Fabinho doesn't look the same, and the same goes for VVD who's not been the same since his injury.

Gomez is nowhere near good enough to be playing in the last 16 of the UCL.. Hendo looks tired aswell but you can't deny that he gives 100% and bleeds for the shirt.

Obviously Bajcetic is maybe too young and inexperienced for the big occasion but that's our fault not recruiting in a area that was obviously looking weak.

Trent and Robbo are not providing the same amount of quality as they have provided in previous seasons..

Gakpo and Nunez played well first half, they do need to learn how to hold the ball up abit better uptop when the momentum is against us though.. that will come in time.

I know Alisson made a error tonight but he's been our stand out player this season.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:08 pm

Morning after feels soo shitty, 5 friggin 2 after a 2 goal lead. This could be our bitter end in this competition for a while.

The lads will lose whatever ounce of confidence they had left in them.

When you thought injured lads are back and will gradually turn the corner......

We've had many miracles in the past but sadly I can't see us in another.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:19 pm

That setup last night ie: Formation and tactics have been the same that we used against them over the last few years. Them and everyone else but we still seem to keep forcing it like we are incapable of trying something else.  Real haven't necessarily improved a lot but where far too comfortable dealing with us. They took their time, didn't get frustrated by going 2 down and just took control of the game. It was easy for them to exploit the high line and the spaces the full backs vacated time and again.

That system worked so efficiently because of the players we had. A combination of hard workers and a few hitting their peak years but naturally it will decline like it has done through players ageing and moving on. Trying to replicate that with different players isn't working and while I do think we have decent players like Nunez, Gakpo, Jota, Diaz etc and they do play well but that system is only performing at 50% compared to 3 or 4 years ago.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Tommy Smith » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:57 pm

It was a hard hammering the dog for a long while

God Help Us
Tommy Smith
LFC Member

Postby damjan193 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:24 pm

Something I think no one has mentioned on this forum is that Salah's raise might be a big reason why the team has been so unsettled. We avoided paying such high wages when other players asked for them because we thought it would do more harm than good and it might turn out that we shouldn't have made an exception, even for Salah.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:40 pm

Heart breaking how our manager has allowed our team to decline so quickly.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:56 pm

To me the main difference between the 2 sides was how clinical they were compared to us.we had at least 2 very convertible chances to extend our lead but somehow the ball stayed out the net, they on the other hand seemed to bury every chance they got. That goal of Benzema’s for instance, after he went around Alisson there were 3 of our defenders on the line, if that would have been one of our forwards you just know their shot would have hit one of the defenders, Benzema however calmly put it in the top corner.
We are going to need possibly the greatest result in our 131 year history to turn this tie around.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:07 pm

Reg » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:40 pm wrote:Heart breaking how our manager has allowed our team to decline so quickly.

How much of that decline is down to Klopp or the club though Reg. He doesn't pull the purse strings and if the club decides the money isn't there or to wait another year for a player then what can he do ?

He has been quite vocal in saying he's happy with the squad, happy to wait for the right player or with what he has but again what can he say as he has to work with it.  Start saying you want to sell lads or they aren't good enough and you will find the roof is dangling over your head.

Ox and Keita are proof imo that it's the club who pulls the strings in these matters. Klopp is the manager who has to make it work with what they give him.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby electrum » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:38 pm

red till i die!! » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:07 pm wrote:
Reg » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:40 pm wrote:Heart breaking how our manager has allowed our team to decline so quickly.

How much of that decline is down to Klopp or the club though Reg. He doesn't pull the purse strings and if the club decides the money isn't there or to wait another year for a player then what can he do ?

He has been quite vocal in saying he's happy with the squad, happy to wait for the right player or with what he has but again what can he say as he has to work with it.  Start saying you want to sell lads or they aren't good enough and you will find the roof is dangling over your head.

Ox and Keita are proof imo that it's the club who pulls the strings in these matters. Klopp is the manager who has to make it work with what they give him.

The decline is 100% FSG's fault- they have a net spend of a mid table club... and lo and behold look at our position in the table. We will not be in the top 6 because of these incompetent morons.

It beggars belief that our team with a PL and 3 CL finals and a raft of other trophies have NO midfielder they can turn to other than an 18 year old (who is doing a sterling job)

What is even more alarming is that Klopp may walk if he doesn't get a major war chest in the summer or , even worse get the sack if our "relegation form" continues.

FSG need to be hounded out of the club in the same way as the scum that preceded them- they are wolves in sheep's clothing,,,no interest in winning the PL or CL - just top 4 and a run to the quarters/ semis to keep the money rolling in- that will do them.
electrum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:56 pm

I think we will get top 4 in the end. Spurs are currently in 4th 7 points ahead but have played 2 more. Newcastle are 6 ahead and we have a game in hand on them as well. With the CL off our minds we can focus on 1 game a week. We could be in there by the end of March imo even If we lose a game.

I agree that there has been a lack of investment and some neglect in the squad. Also about the ambition but disagree about hounding them out. I don't think they deserve that tbh as the club has progressed. It would be pointless anyway as like the Glazers they won't go till they are ready regardless of fan pressure. I'd like to see them sell but not to someone spending oil state money for sportswashing.

They just need to rethink their policies and try to spend a bit more if they want us to remain competitive.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:48 am

No Liverpool manager in my near 60 years of supporting this club has built a European Cup winning and League winning side then let it crumble within 2 years because of lack of investment. Every top side under Shanks, Bob, Fagan and Kenny was invested in to enable the club to maintain the run.

Klopp and the owners are guilty of making the most basic mistake, thinking that once they'd won the top cups that everything would just continue unchanged. Fools.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:00 pm

Still….. this is the same team that played the same RM team off the park months ago. We dominated the game so much that they parked the bus on us, I didn’t see them do that on Tuesday. How every player to a man could be so average in a matter of months is Klopp’s responsibility. I cannot see how a lack of investment can be blamed on Tuesday’s embarrassment. We played with a high intensity until their first goal then we just crumbled, that is not an investment problem, that is fitness, mentality or tactics which ultimately is the manager’s responsibility
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:07 pm

Reg » Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:48 am wrote:No Liverpool manager in my near 60 years of supporting this club has built a European Cup winning and League winning side then let it crumble within 2 years because of lack of investment. Every top side under Shanks, Bob, Fagan and Kenny was invested in to enable the club to maintain the run.

Klopp and the owners are guilty of making the most basic mistake, thinking that once they'd won the top cups that everything would just continue unchanged. Fools.

6 seasons of winning nothing from 66 -73 we had the occasional moan , 1987 was a terrible year and the barren years in the 90's were traumatic....how we coped without the internet to vent our frustration is  truly remarkable...
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:42 pm

kazza » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:00 pm wrote:Still….. this is the same team that played the same RM team off the park months ago. We dominated the game so much that they parked the bus on us, I didn’t see them do that on Tuesday. How every player to a man could be so average in a matter of months is Klopp’s responsibility. I cannot see how a lack of investment can be blamed on Tuesday’s embarrassment. We played with a high intensity until their first goal then we just crumbled, that is not an investment problem, that is fitness, mentality or tactics which ultimately is the manager’s responsibility

They were a few different players that played that game who were key players for us that season.

Konate played instead of Gomez
Thiago instead of Bajcetic
Mane instead of Gakpo
Diaz instead of Nunez

I think Gomez had another stinker and why Klopp keeps trusting him in big matches is beyond me. I know Matip hasn't been at his best this season but he's still got a footballing brain and could have prevented alot of that mess at the back.

Thiago is experienced in the big games and we definitely missed him. I like Bajcetic, but he's 18 with very little to no UCL experience playing against the "best team in the world"

As bad as it sounds the little errors Gomez and Bajcetic made were punished against.

Gakpo and Nunez both are young lads learning their trade where as Diaz and Mane both had alot of UCL experience.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:01 pm

supersub » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:07 am wrote:
Reg » Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:48 am wrote:No Liverpool manager in my near 60 years of supporting this club has built a European Cup winning and League winning side then let it crumble within 2 years because of lack of investment. Every top side under Shanks, Bob, Fagan and Kenny was invested in to enable the club to maintain the run.

6 seasons of winning nothing from 66 -73 we had the occasional moan , 1987 was a terrible year and the barren years in the 90's were  traumatic....how we coped without the internet to vent our frustration is  truly remarkable...

:laugh:
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games