Real Madrid vs LIVERPOOL - Tues 4 Nov 2014 - KO19:45

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Kopite-Jud » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:48 pm

damjan193 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:29 pm wrote:Let's not get ahead of ourselves lads, we played OK but we lost the match without even threatening their keeper. Obviously there could be some positives taken from this game but we're still a long way from being even near to last season.

Exactly the point I was trying to raise
Kopite-Jud

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:58 pm

Definite positives and two players really staked a claim in Lucas and Toure who was our best player by far. Real could have stepped it a couple of gears and it would be naive to in think that if they really came under the cosh they wouldn't have, However for once Rodgers nearly got the tactics and subs right, had we a genuine goal threat like a Danny or Rem I think we could have snatched something, which would have been a miracle. Hopefully the idiot is starting to realise how to play slightly more defensively… what really annoyed me though…is had we set up like that against Chelsea then we would have been looking at league champions now… especially with the better players up top…

Thought Markovic was p!ss poor again and offered nothing going forward, Borini was his usual lacking self and was never going to do anything against those two centre backs…

All in though better, hopefully he will turn the corner and it's not to little to late
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:59 pm

damjan193 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:29 pm wrote:Let's not get ahead of ourselves lads, we played OK but we lost the match without even threatening their keeper. Obviously there could be some positives taken from this game but we're still a long way from being even near to last season.

The real positive for me was that we actually looked like a Rodgers side, we passed it short, pressed high and worked hard all over the pitch. There have been two performances now this season where we've looked close to implementing Brendan's philosophy and in both of those games (Madrid and Swansea) it was the midweek team, not the first team, who were playing. Food for though for Brendan.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:11 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:19 pm wrote:
Doeboy » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:57 pm wrote:
Kopite-Jud » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:50 pm wrote:They had 30 shots and didn't look like getting out of 3rd gear.

Done well to keep it at 1-0. Positives, Can and Lucas were good and Lallana was played more central.

Yes, always felt Madrid could step up a couple of gears and really have a go but they never did. Still our work rate was good and thought we defended well but just lacked anything going forward. Think that may be how Rodgers set us out to play though in which case think we should have started Sterling to use his pace as an outlet. Borini tried but truth be told Varane and Ramos could have pulled their deck chairs out as it was that easy for them. Apart from the odd opening here and there for us, it was a pretty easy nights work for Madrid. Not too much we could have done for the goal, really was a peach of a ball from Marcelo

I think you are forgetting just how good Real currently are, they have just taken Barcelona apart and tonight was the first time since September that they have failed to score at least 2 goals in a game. They are currently the reigning champions and the best club side in the world and on top of that they have the worlds best player in their ranks.
We put out a scratch side against them and you are moaning that we didn't attack enough? Christ!

Not moaning, just saying as it was. Sterling's pace from the start would have given them something to think about.  Borini tried but too easy to keep quiet.
Doeboy

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:19 am

Agree about their goal, not going to fault anyone for that, sometimes you have to hold up you hands and that was one time, they had chances though, hopefully though a lesson was learnt, defending deep and being organised is the way forward, just a shame markovic and borini lack ability in just about every area
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:41 am

I don't know how Liverpool plan their games or train at Melwood however the way I see it, the key match strategy is how the midfield are going to play the game. Attacking with one holding back or defensive with one pushing up, flat etc.. The attack has to be set accordingly and the defence.

So if you say the defence was stronger because of Lucas playing a proper DM role, then DM + Kolo & Skittle works. If you have Stevie playing in a flatter midfield then maybe Kolo doesn't fit in and it should be Lovren. With the midfield piling forward as we did last year when L.Suarez was with us then we bled goals so either we didn't have the right DM or the defence wasn't set up right (painful last season, remember?).

There's no rocket science involved. Plan A needs Back 4 'X'. Plan B needs Back 4 'B'. 

Of course this begs the question whether the club bought key players for formations 'X' and 'Y', or whether they cocked up and only bought one style of defender.  Same applies for the midfield.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:51 am

Listen, all the credit in the world to the players on the night. They defended bravely and stopped Madrid from running riot without creating much down the other end. Cant fault them for that though.

My point before the game still stands though. Picking this side in a big European night goes completely against what Liverpool stand for. When did we become a Hull who rest their players against a Utd because a game against Villa is more important. Nonsense. Low on confidence and morale, he should have had more belief and trust in the players who start (and have started last season) for him week in week out. Yes the likes of Toure, Lucas and Can had good games (all 3 should start against Chelsea on the back of that defensive performance) but at the end of the day we came out of the game with no points and with our chances of qualifying taking another knock. You can applaud his tactics, you can applaud the performance of many who started, but the approach to the game does us no favors going forward. If I'm Suarez, Henderson, Gerrard etc. and I've played my heart out last season to get the side in this competition for the chance to play against the top sides in the world, I'd be very disappointed to see the manager field a second string side on the night because he believes the result is a foregone conclusion.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:06 am

Ace agree with you. Firmly believe had we had better than Borini and the awful Markovic we would have had half a chance last night, I didn't mind mind so much not playing Steven and one of the centre halves needed dropping, would like to see Kolo with Lovren to be honest but had we had better forwards and better players off the bench we could have given ourselves a better chance.

Also agree we should never roll over in the way we did. Makes you wonder if the team selection had given us a chance we may have gotten something out of the game with Madrid playing like that. I think last night also put to bed the Henderson myth that he must play every match, the three that played were no worse
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby lakes10 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:43 am

For once we have a manager that has put the Prem above the Champions League.The team selection was spot on. we need our players fit for the prem so we can end up in the top 4 this year. by rights we should not even be in the Champions League this year, we should of ended up 5th or 6th last year and would of given us time to build a team fit for the Champions League 2015/2016. but we ended up doing so well we are in it now. it should be used as testing ground for next year when we should be able to make a real impact on it. if we had not lost our top striker last year and our next best being out  for most of the season so far it might of changed.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:53 am

Stu the Red » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:06 am wrote:Ace agree with you. Firmly believe had we had better than Borini and the awful Markovic we would have had half a chance last night, I didn't mind mind so much not playing Steven and one of the centre halves needed dropping, would like to see Kolo with Lovren to be honest but had we had better forwards and better players off the bench we could have given ourselves a better chance.

Also agree we should never roll over in the way we did. Makes you wonder if the team selection had given us a chance we may have gotten something out of the game with Madrid playing like that. I think last night also put to bed the Henderson myth that he must play every match, the three that played were no worse

You've really got it in for Markovic haven't you, mind you it makes a change its normally Moreno, I thought he played okay last night. If any player was poor it was Allen who disappeared for most of the game.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:01 am

ballotelliman » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:51 pm wrote:
Boocity » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:40 pm wrote:If BR really wanted to nick a goal I would have brought Mario on for Allen rather than Gerrard

shocked at that was happy till he brought coutinho on think about it  gerrard comes on starts pumping high balls over there defence why bring coutinho on when ugot tall balotelli we had no height up there stupid decision last ten minutes.

High balls over their defence and out of play is really going to get you a goal isn't it.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kopite-Jud » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:12 am

lakes10 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:43 am wrote:For once we have a manager that has put the Prem above the Champions League.The team selection was spot on. we need our players fit for the prem so we can end up in the top 4 this year. by rights we should not even be in the Champions League this year, we should of ended up 5th or 6th last year and would of given us time to build a team fit for the Champions League 2015/2016. but we ended up doing so well we are in it now. it should be used as testing ground for next year when we should be able to make a real impact on it. if we had not lost our top striker last year and our next best being out  for most of the season so far it might of changed.

By Rights we shouldn't be in the Champions League this year ?

You'd rather us have finished 6th or 7th  :suspect: ?

Have you spent the last 2 weeks sat in The Sandon ?
Kopite-Jud

Postby lakes10 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:58 am

by that I mean we got there faster that we thought we was going to and not ready with the team we need. by 2015/16 a team should be in place to can take it on.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kopite-Jud » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:10 pm

lakes10 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:58 am wrote:by that I mean we got there faster that we thought we was going to and not ready with the team we need. by 2015/16 a team should be in place to can take it on.

I guess thats what the £117,000,000 was for.  Had it been utilised wisely we would be more than equipped. IMO
Kopite-Jud

Postby stmichael » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:38 pm

So the media spin is we may have beaten Madrid if we'd played our 'star' names. The same names that have failed to show up all season. Our "weakened team" had two £20m buys, a £12m buy, a player who has played 250 games for the club (Lucas), and a league winner in Toure. It was hardly the under 14's as some people would have you believe today.

Rodgers MUST have some courage now on Saturday. If after last night he sticks Johnson and Lovren straight back into the team then there is going to be some serious questions being asked. Last night was a step in the right direction but where the goals are going to come from against Chelsea's back 4 and keeper I have no idea.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games