LIVERPOOL v Manchester City  31st July 0.10 am

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby damjan193 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:30 am

killerp » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:28 am wrote:
damjan193 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:13 am wrote:We have like 10 of our best 11 on the pitch and we're still second best.

You can really really tell we are missing a world class superstar....

Rodgers if you have any money left, no more youngsters for the future.

Yes, exactly.

Would like the game to stay level now so we can watch some nerve wrecking penalties :D
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby killerp » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:32 am

ethanr » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:28 am wrote:Sterling is going to have a f*cking season. I hope we aren't gonna be fighting to hold onto him by the end of next season.

Christ if he does that more often Madrid or Barca will come calling.
killerp

Postby ethanr » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:47 am

Good win. If we could take advantage of this little cup and win it, it could be great for momentum going into the season.

Much better second half, really picked it up when Can and Sterling came on.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby killerp » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:50 am

First silverware of the season..... :cool:
.....still we need a major signing
killerp

Postby damjan193 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:53 am

Doubt anyone will be too pleased with that performance but it was an amazing game to watch, fans there must be happy after that. We and City did a good job to promote English football with that show  :nod which is the ultimate goal of this tour anyways.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Kopite-Jud » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:15 am

Good last 25 mins there. Good way to build a bit of momentum going into the new season.  Impressed with Sterling (again) Can also looked good, also glad to see Hendo running into the box more, hopefully a sign of things to come.

Looking stronger and fitter every game.

CANT WAIT FOR THE NEW SEASON
Kopite-Jud

Postby stmichael » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:14 am

stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:22 am

First half we started quite bright but as the half wore on they started to boss it and we could have easily been 2 or 3 down by the break. Thought it was a little bit too easy for them to open us up at times and we really need to do better tracking runners and getting back goal side.
When Sterling and Can came on in the second half we started to play our way back into it and by the end of the game we were the better side IMO.
I think if we can get Coutinho, Sturridge, Sterling and Markovic on the pitch all at the same time we will cause teams problems, it's just a question of wether our midfield/defence is up to the job of keeping the opposition out at the other end.
Hopefully Lovren's organisational skills can do something with that back line because we can't afford to keep giving away cheap goals like those 2 last night.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:47 pm

I thought that they were the better team and it was a bit worrying since we had more players from the starting 11 than they did. I'm glad we won it though since it was obvious that we wanted to win this one more than they did.

It wasn't all bad though, we played some fantastic football in the final 15-20 minutes and put City under real pressure. It was mostly down to the introduction of Sterling and Can (and the taking off of Allen) who were both immense, especially Sterling. Hendo did pretty good as well. There was also Coates who had a very good first half and I think that the boy should be kept to fight for his place.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:08 pm

damjan193 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:47 pm wrote:I thought that they were the better team and it was a bit worrying since we had more players from the starting 11 than they did. I'm glad we won it though since it was obvious that we wanted to win this one more than they did.

It wasn't all bad though, we played some fantastic football in the final 15-20 minutes and put City under real pressure. It was mostly down to the introduction of Sterling and Can (and the taking off of Allen) who were both immense, especially Sterling. Hendo did pretty good as well. There was also Coates who had a very good first half and I think that the boy should be kept to fight for his place.

Allen was poor but I don't think the formation did him or our fullbacks any favours. The diamond is very narrow and it leaves the two CM's either side of Gerrard with a hell of a lot of running to do.
The fullbacks have a lot on their plates as well as they are expected to give the team width and it's a big ask for them to get up and down the line with no wide midfielders/forwards to help out.
I'm not a fan of it at all, I'd prefer a 4-2-3-1 with Hendo and Can as the holding midfielders.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:55 pm

That's true yakka, that's why I'm not criticizing our fullbacks for this one even though they were poor. Allen though was terrible and can't use the same excuse as the fullbacks. I'm not too sure which had a bigger impact, the introduction of Can or just the fact that Allen was no longer on the pitch.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games