Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:41 pm

Huge result! Absolutely huge. We could be 3 point behind the Chavs before they kick a ball
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:27 pm

By our normal high standards that was poor but given the circumstances that was a game where the result was far more important than the performance. Make no mistake the title was on the line there, given the way Chelsea are playing we couldn't afford to let them go 9 points clear and we didn't.
Fair dues to Klavan as well, since he's come back into the team we've played Everton, Boro, Stoke and now City and we've only conceded 1 goal.
2017 could be our year!
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:29 pm

2 horse race now guys??

Really hoping Spurs get something from chavs. These guys have to drop points somewhere down the line.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby parchpea » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:35 pm

Showed we can win without just trying to overwhelm the opposition and I think it surprised City.

We let them dominate the ball but they never looked like scoring.

A very clever victory as we continue to progress under Klopp and stay on the heels of Chelsea.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:49 pm

redshade » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:29 pm wrote:2 horse race now guys??

Really hoping Spurs get something from chavs. These guys have to drop points somewhere down the line.

Not yet. Truth is, one loss and City win, they are a point behind us and it's still very tight. Also Arsenal win tomorrow, they are only 3 pts behind. All still very tight. Only half way through the season
Doeboy

Postby Doeboy » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:18 pm

For me, our game at the Mancs is  the crucial one during this period. Going away to them when they are in good form with the whole rivalry and pressure of keeping up the pace.
Doeboy

Postby ethanr » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:49 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:27 pm wrote:By our normal high standards that was poor but given the circumstances that was a game where the result was far more important than the performance. Make no mistake the title was on the line there, given the way Chelsea are playing we couldn't afford to let them go 9 points clear and we didn't.
Fair dues to Klavan as well, since he's come back into the team we've played Everton, Boro, Stoke and now City and we've only conceded 1 goal.
2017 could be our year!

:nod Klavan was fantastic today- my MOTM. He was on a booking early so had to be reserved, and he was still flying all over the pitch going into tackles and breaking up play.

The choice to play Hendo, Wijnaldum and Can in the middle ended up being a good one. They kept it scrappy in there and I thought all 3 had pretty solid games. It looked ugly, but De Bruyne and Silva were absolutely anonymous, and Toure couldn't do much either. I'll gladly have a wash between our 3 CM's, and theirs.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby redshade » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:45 pm

Doeboy » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:18 pm wrote:For me, our game at the Mancs is  the crucial one during this period. Going away to them when they are in good form with the whole rivalry and pressure of keeping up the pace.

I agree. We really need Couts back for that one as Mane won't be available.
Mourinho would love to dent our chances.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:04 am

redshade » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:45 pm wrote:
Doeboy » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:18 pm wrote:For me, our game at the Mancs is  the crucial one during this period. Going away to them when they are in good form with the whole rivalry and pressure of keeping up the pace.

I agree. We really need Couts back for that one as Mane won't be available.
Mourinho would love to dent our chances.

Yes, he loves these kind of games. Always go into the games with other big sides very confident but for some reason feeling edgy about this one. We are playing them at the wrong time with the form they are in, even though our form is great to. They are just outside the top four and their players are starting to gel under maureen and the likes of Ibrahimovic and Pogba are starting to impose themselves on games. Sure we will be OK and would happily nick a 1-0 but I think it will be a much tougher assignment than today, which I always felt we would win. City are hit and miss and likes of spurs and leicester both beat them fairly comfortably and just knew we would get the 3 points with the way we pressurise
Doeboy

Postby eds » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:11 am

We didn't play well because Klopp was more interested in the result than the performance.

We simply stopped City from playing and pretty much made a massive dent in Pep's title challenge.

This win can't be any more understated, if we beat Sunderland and Chelsea drops points against the Spudz,  the race will be well and truly on!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

:buttrock
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:25 am

Yeah I think the moment Klopp handed in his team sheet everyone could see that our plan was to nullify City and stop them playing and to be fair it worked. I'm sure he would have preferred to go toe to toe with them but after Chelsea beat Stoke earlier in the day his hand was somewhat forced, by 5.00 pm he knew that nothing but a win was good enough. 
Faced with that doomsday scenario and knowing he was up against pretty much a full strength City side without his best forward and best defender Jurgen had no other option but to get his tactics board out and get creative.
Yesterday's match was our biggest league game in 3 years and potentially a pivotal moment in the season, Jurgen had to find a way to win, and he did.
:buttrock
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:40 am

Excellent post Yakka. Ok City looked a little bit more dangerous in the second half but apart from a couple of simple save Mign had very little to do. JK got this one right !!

The fixture list certainly hasn't done us any favours. Klopp in our last three games, because Chelsea and nearly all of the other potential title challengers had played earlier and won, knew that anything other than a win was not an option. The management and the team collecting all 9 points showed the sort of grit and determination that wins stuff !! WELL DONE !!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:33 pm

It wasn't pretty but it was 3 points. Sometimes you get games like these where you have to grind out the result and that's what we did. Admittedly, we only had 1 shot on target, but City didn't really trouble Migs. In fact, I think they only had 2 shots on target.

I also thought Sterling was very poor. He's hardly improved at all at City and his crossing ability is still dreadful.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:22 pm

Good win, and I liked the performance too. We didn't try to outplay them, that wasn't important, the win and the 3 points were important yesterday and we concentrated on that. I'm glad that we're capable of doing that, winning at any cost. Wasn't easy mind you, to keep the likes of Aguero, De Bryne, Sterling, Silva etc from having a good game. In that sense, all things considered, we actually DID outplay them.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games