Capello quits !

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby worcester_red » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:45 pm

One thing I don't quite understand, why is that all the players for a national team have to be from that country, but the manager doesn't? Surely every national team should have to have a manager from that country, this goes for all major sports, with a possible caveat if a country is just entering a new sport for the first time, in which case they get a grace time of say 5 years.
worcester_red

Postby maguskwt » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:35 pm

Don't care
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:17 pm

worcester_red wrote:One thing I don't quite understand, why is that all the players for a national team have to be from that country, but the manager doesn't? Surely every national team should have to have a manager from that country, this goes for all major sports, with a possible caveat if a country is just entering a new sport for the first time, in which case they get a grace time of say 5 years.

i get where you're coming from but look at teams like France who had players like Vieira and Desailly from other countries. same goes for Germany, who have loads of players of Turkish descent. it doesn't work that way anymore - globalization.

anyway, Stuart Pearce is now under scrutiny for the incident he had with Paul Ince ages ago. the English media sure do know how to support their team don't they?  :laugh:
maypaxvobiscum

Postby worcester_red » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
worcester_red wrote:One thing I don't quite understand, why is that all the players for a national team have to be from that country, but the manager doesn't? Surely every national team should have to have a manager from that country, this goes for all major sports, with a possible caveat if a country is just entering a new sport for the first time, in which case they get a grace time of say 5 years.

i get where you're coming from but look at teams like France who had players like Vieira and Desailly from other countries. same goes for Germany, who have loads of players of Turkish descent. it doesn't work that way anymore - globalization.

anyway, Stuart Pearce is now under scrutiny for the incident he had with Paul Ince ages ago. the English media sure do know how to support their team don't they?  :laugh:

hmm that's a bit different all those players are technically French or German, even though they weren't born there. I really think the same rule should be applied for managers, otherwise why not have the national teams pick and choose their players, could be interesting but would mean that Russia, Quatar and China win every single world cup going forwards.
worcester_red

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:54 pm

worcester_red wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:

hmm that's a bit different all those players are technically French or German, even though they weren't born there. I really think the same rule should be applied for managers, otherwise why not have the national teams pick and choose their players, could be interesting but would mean that Russia, Quatar and China win every single world cup going forwards.

just like how some clubs look overseas for better players, associations do the same to get better managers. i do get what you mean though and i am surprised that England, for all its interest in football and its population couldn't find a decent local manager before engaging Fabio. however, if it is a small country like Lebanon :D , then it's only natural. i do believe that Redknapp would be a good job though.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby metalhead » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:28 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:just like how some clubs look overseas for better players, associations do the same to get better managers. i do get what you mean though and i am surprised that England, for all its interest in football and its population couldn't find a decent local manager before engaging Fabio. however, if it is a small country like Lebanon :D , then it's only natural. i do believe that Redknapp would be a good job though.

well at least we are better than Singapore :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:43 pm

Capello the best ever ? Do me a favor. I dont care if he has the best record against the likes of Andorra and Montenegro. He fcked up big time when it mattered the most in 2010 and thats mostly what he'll be remembered for. Oh and the second most memorable thing hes done was fck up the England captaincy situation over, and over, and over.... and over...

Good riddance.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:08 pm

aCe' wrote:Capello the best ever ? Do me a favor. I dont care if he has the best record against the likes of Andorra and Montenegro. He fcked up big time when it mattered the most in 2010 and thats mostly what he'll be remembered for. Oh and the second most memorable thing hes done was fck up the England captaincy situation over, and over, and over.... and over...

Good riddance.

When was the last time England were in the semi final of a major tournament?
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedSi35 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:25 pm

1996 euro champs

Lost on pens..... To germany...... As usual
RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:27 pm

england have won 6 knockout games in major tournaments since 1966
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby metalhead » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:19 pm

Exactly, its not the problem with the manager, it's problem with England not producing quality players to compare with the likes of Spain, Germany and Holland
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:24 am

metalhead wrote:Exactly, its not the problem with the manager, it's problem with England not producing quality players to compare with the likes of Spain, Germany and Holland

I'll agree to some extent, but not entirely. Given the players England have had over the years, they really should have done better in many an occasion. In some tournaments (2010 being a prime example), it was more the lackluster nature of the performances than the results that spring to mind. Capello dropped the ball big time imo and he should have gone then.

Where they better than Germany or favorites in the game ? Perhaps not but that entire tournament from start to finish for the side was a shambles and they never looked like doing anything.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion