Fowler quits!

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:35 am

Wednesday June 1, 2011

Liverpool great Fowler quits Australian league

PERTH, Australia (AP) -- Ex-Liverpool forward Robbie Fowler has told Perth Glory he won't be returning for the next Australian A-League season.

The West Australian club announced in a statement that Fowler had contacted Glory chairman Tony Sage to say that he wouldn't be returning for another season due to family reasons.

Fowler, 36, who scored nine goals in 28 matches last season, said he wanted to pursue his coaching qualifications in England and told Perth he was not in discussions with any club about continuing his playing career.

He joined Perth in 2010 after a season at fellow A-League club North Queensland Fury and was widely expected to sign for one more season with the Glory.

"I have a wonderful and loving family to consider and with the children in school, it's best to keep them settled," Fowler said in a statement. "I also need to stay in the U.K. to complete my coaching badges."

Sage said Fowler had increased the club's profile and would be missed in the 2011-12 season.

"While I would've loved to have him here for a second season, as a husband and father I understand that his family comes first," Sage said. "I can't thank him enough for his contribution to the football club."

Fowler became the A-League's biggest recruit when he agreed in 2009 to join North Queensland on a two-season deal after an English career that saw him become one of Liverpool's greats, followed by brief stints at Manchester City, Blackburn and elsewhere which helped him become the fourth-highest scorer ever in the English Premier League.

He scored nine goals in 26 matches for North Queensland but was released from his contract at the Fury after the club became mired in financial trouble.

He joined Perth as the club's marquee foreign player, meaning his wage was exempt from the A-League's salary cap. No details of the deal with Perth were disclosed.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion