Is carra past it? - Dynamics of our cb partnerships

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:29 am

Simple answer-yes
More complicated answer-dont know
Thommo's perm

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:59 am

I can't emphasis how important it is for Agger to stay fit though. It would give us the option to play three at the back on occasions which would help to make up for Carragher's lack of pace.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby metalhead » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:16 pm

Scottbot wrote:You only have to look at our rivals to see the make-up of their centre-back pairings to see what we should be looking to replicate. The mancs have Vidic (strong as an oxe, physically imposing, great in the air) alongside your consumate ball player in Rio Ferdinand. And then they have got a very similar partnership waiting in the wings with big Phil Jones in the Vidic mould and Smalling alongside him. Then you look at Chelsea, for years they had John Terry (another Vidic) alongside Carvallo (their Ferdinand). Carvallho is gone now but they have replaced him with a similar player with Luiz coming in. Arsenal, much like us have not got the partnership right the past few years but funnily enough their last really good partnership was big Sol Campbell (another Vidic) alongside the quicker more mobile William Gallas. There is a definite pattern here and it's one we should be emulating but we won't go far with the 4 lads we have at the moment.

Spot on with your assessment Scott, I agree you need two quality CBs who compliment each other, if you get two of the same characteristics then it might not work out
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:41 pm

Great topic starter Scott.

Agree with you 100% on most points.

To answer your questions....
1) As much as it pains me to say it, Carra IS past it. Having said that, he is a darn sight more reliable than the other 2 and we still need him.
2) I think that he can get back to his previous best but never quite fully..... Physically, I don't think it is possible. With the appropriate partner......
3) Deffo need a new centreback but if we don't, maybe Stevie when he's ready? 2 homegrown players to marshall the troops from the back. A tough tackling no-nonsense Carra and a ball playing Stevie a la Hansen could be just what the club needs.
ConnO'var

Postby Scottbot » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:37 pm

ConnO'var wrote:Great topic starter Scott.

1) As much as it pains me to say it, Carra IS past it. Having said that, he is a darn sight more reliable than the other 2 and we still need him.
2) I think that he can get back to his previous best but never quite fully..... Physically, I don't think it is possible. With the appropriate partner......
3) Deffo need a new centreback but if we don't, maybe Stevie when he's ready? 2 homegrown players to marshall the troops from the back. A tough tackling no-nonsense Carra and a ball playing Stevie a la Hansen could be just what the club needs.

Your final point is a very interesting shout mate and although i can't see it happening for a couple of years you never know in football. He could certainly do it. However, I suspect Stevie will revert to what he once was, which was an out an out defensive midfielder. But hopefully he can recover from his injuries and regain some of that Roy of the Rovers form for the next couple of seasons coz we'll need it.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:01 am

As dominat CB leading the line- YES definatly
As an able 2nd/3rd cb - No, can still contribute.

Problem is we have noone good/dominant to lead the line
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:11 pm

Not knocking carra but to me he was always the 2nd defender... That's why his partnership with hyppia was very good. After Hyppia was downgraded, he was able to hold the fort with a young and still injury free Agger for a season. Carra was also at his prime then. But now he again needs a dominant defender like Hyppia...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:33 pm

he is past his best anyway but isnt completely finished imo.
he maybe will have to take less of a role this season but i expect him to play in all the big games.he has been waning for 2 years now and is getting caught out more and more but he still has the heart to succeed and will want to play every game if he's fit.
our problem was not realising a few years ago that the cover we had in agger and skyrtel wasnt sufficent.
agger is an exceptional ball player but made of glass and i half expect him to be absent again for 70% of the season.
skyrtel isnt the worse player.gets caught out ball watching and positionally he isnt the best either but he has his uses and does put in a decent shift.
beyond that we have no one ready to step up and marshall the defense like carra and hyppia before him,we need a proven defender to be brought in,one thats around 26 and is ready to step up and lead and realise this is his time.
we will create and score chances in every game this season but my concern is that we will concede more if that defense isnt sorted.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ConnO'var » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:20 pm

Scottbot wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:Great topic starter Scott.

Your final point is a very interesting shout mate and although i can't see it happening for a couple of years you never know in football. He could certainly do it. However, I suspect Stevie will revert to what he once was, which was an out an out defensive midfielder. But hopefully he can recover from his injuries and regain some of that Roy of the Rovers form for the next couple of seasons coz we'll need it.

I hope so scott.

News from home doesn't fill me with confidence and we're definitely 1 CB short of a sound defence.
ConnO'var

Postby Scottbot » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:31 pm

maguskwt wrote:Not knocking carra but to me he was always the 2nd defender... That's why his partnership with hyppia was very good. After Hyppia was downgraded, he was able to hold the fort with a young and still injury free Agger for a season. Carra was also at his prime then. But now he again needs a dominant defender like Hyppia...

That's pretty much the crux of my opener bud! You're right, he is very much your 2nd defender which is why we haven't seent he best of him since big Sami moved on.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion