Leadership - Team dynamics

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby DanAn » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:34 pm

stmichael wrote:I still don't think that Gerrard is a natural leader as he merely inspires the team through his own performances. Steven Gerrard would always get stuck in and be an inspiration whether he was the captain or the tea lady because that is his way.

A leader needs to think, communicate and motivate rather than do all the work of his sub-ordinates. Look at other jobs and you'll spot a good leader because he will delegate certain tasks to others whilst thinking strategically. He will also be an excellent communicator. I think Carragher fits more in to this category than Gerrard.

Well really it depends on how you look at it. All those characteristics are important but I'd argue they are the what you want in a manager not a captain.

For example I'm sure it was Carra's decision to play three at the back against Man City when we needed a goal and Skrttl went down injured. It's a great to have that sort of strategic leadership on the field who can make a snap decision. but that's a rare occasion when a manager would not have had time to get his instructions heard.  What's more important in a captain IMO is to have someone dictate the tempo, inspire the team and lead by example on a daily basis.

For that reason I like Gerrard
DanAn

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:09 pm

Mascherano welcomes Maradona move - but does not want to be Argentina captain

Author: Andrew Allen
Posted on: 30 October 2008 - 5:40 PM

Javier Mascherano has welcomed Maradona's appointment as Argentina boss - but has pleaded: "Don't make me captain." Maradona is poised to take the national job next week and has long praised the Liverpool hardman - already saying the Argentina team will be "Mascherano and ten more."But it seems the 24-year-old does not want the responsibility of leading his country.

He said: "I do not have the charisma to be the captain of my country.

"I can put my determination and my strength on the pitch and that can spread, but being captain is not in my personality - it is something you are born with, not something you acquire."

Although Mascherano has shunned the captaincy, he says Maradona will be a success and that he cannot wait to play under him after getting a little taster before the 2008 Olympics.

Maradona joined the national side just before the tournament in Beijing for a kickaround and left Mascherano impressed.

He added: "I believe Maradona as coach will be really special. The experience around Beijing was spectacular.

"The day he came to Ezeiza, just before the trip, and requested permission to coach us, was impressive.

"I think it will be very positive to all be under the command of Diego."

LINK

I think there are all kinds of leaders, some welcome the responsibility while others inspire by action and deeds.
account deleted by request

Postby Effes » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:10 pm

DanAn wrote:For example I'm sure it was Carra's decision to play three at the back against Man City when we needed a goal and Skrttl went down injured.

What makes you say that mate? Not so sure meself.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DanAn » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:25 pm

In an article just after the game Carra was quote as saying something to the effect that Rafa didn't tell us to play three at the back. The players made the decision on the field to go for it.

I was a little surprised at the time to hear that.

No way of knowing for sure who spoke up on the field but I think it would have been all Cara's idea. It just seems to fit with his personality.
Last edited by DanAn on Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanAn

Postby Judge » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:30 pm

Scottbot wrote:
Judge wrote:you sound surprised reg. scott usually posts well and this thread is testament to that, unless he's commenting on kuyt superman of course :D

I thought the Kuyt post was my best post to date as it happens mate, unfortunately it was your as well, by some distance... :D

woohoo cheers :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:23 pm

Yes, we are blessed with a lot of players who have the attitude spot on and know how to communicate with their teammates.  There was an interesting moment the other night when Alonso made a rare forray into the oppo box only to lose out when Kuyt accidentally got in his way.  He seemed to turn in frustration and have a sharp word but as he was jogging back to position made certain to clap Kuyt on the back, as if to say 'no worries, mate'.  That's what I like to see, passion and togetherness in equal measure.  I don't mind if players express their frustrations with each other now and again (like the Masch-Carra example mentioned above as well) as that's just part of it being a team game.  It's great to see the lads picking each other up after a mistake, though, and celebrating together when something quality happens.  If we're to have a proper go at the league, we need to keep fostering this team spirit.

BTW, I think Scott's spot on about the idea that, in effect, we have two captains on the pitch in Carra and Stevie.  I also find it interesting how many former club captains we also have in the squad: Hyypia, Torres, Keane...are there any others? ???
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby GYBS » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:28 pm

Not sure about former captain but if rumours are true masher will be argentina captain , think kuyt was captain of feyenoord at one point , yossi captain of israel ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:41 pm

GYBS wrote:Not sure about former captain but if rumours are true masher will be argentina captain , think kuyt was captain of feyenoord at one point , yossi captain of israel ?

Good shout, mate...Kuyt did captain Feyenoord and Benayoun is Israel's captain.  Hyypia, I believe, is Finland's captain and Keane currently captains Ireland, IIRC.  Lucas also captained a Brazilian under 20 team in 2007, according to .tv
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby GYBS » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:46 pm

yeah forgot about Keane and Lucas - i think xabi may of been captain for Real Sociedad at one stage as well .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBen » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:49 pm

GYBS wrote:i think xabi may of been captain for Real Sociedad at one stage as well .

True
RedBen
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:31 am

Jimmy the Weasel wrote:It's interesting what you say about Gerrard, as I think Carragher is the same character on the field now as he would be whether he's officially captain or not. He would still demonstrate that leadership, organising and communicating through the team.

I think that's a good point. Whether Carragher's formally the captain or not, he'll always harbour the respect of his fellow players, and he'll always have the same on-pitch personality and organisational skills as he would if he had been given the captaincy. I don't think it matters a great deal who has the captaincy out of the two, but just to have them, and their respective styles of leadership is very important for us if we want to win the title.

I'd also agree with the opening post. Around Gerrard and Carra, we have a nice blend of characters. Keane and Riera have added to that this season. Riera's been communicating well with the likes of Gerrard, Alonso and Kuyt, and he seems to have a determined attitude as expressed in some of his more recent interviews (i.e. that he knows he has to work very hard to achieve, ala Torres), but also in his performances. Keane's vocal, but he also works hard and that helps set a high standard for the rest to match.
LFC2007

Postby Sabre » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:32 am

RedBen wrote:
GYBS wrote:i think xabi may of been captain for Real Sociedad at one stage as well .

True

Not true.

Very good read both the initial thread opener and the answers.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:33 am

Sabre wrote:
RedBen wrote:

True

Not true.

How the fuck would you know?

:D
LFC2007

Postby Sabre » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:35 am

Toshack did ONCE give him a game as a captain, in one of those gestures of Toshack, but he wasn't one of the "official" team captains
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBen » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:12 am

Sabre wrote:Toshack did ONCE give him a game as a captain, in one of those gestures of Toshack, but he wasn't one of the "official" team captains

Captain is captain

:D
RedBen
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion