Carra the great - Carra

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby XSD » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:38 pm

stu_the_red wrote:
XSD wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:He isn't in there class. Anyone who thinks he is doesn't know football. He's not international class.

What team have you been watching for the last two seasons? Since Benitez moved him to centre-half on a permanent basis he has been twice the player he was before and easily one of the top centre-backs in the world.
Maybe it's more down to hard work than talent, and maybe he couldn't play the same for England or at another club. But he is a world class centre half for Liverpool, that is all he needs to be.

So he's got more pace now? So he's more skillfull? So he's a better tackler and better in the air? Is he stronger and more aggressive? Does the fact that he's now playing centre half again make him a better player?

Really? Does it?

Don't be bloody stupid.

He's got more confidence, is a bit better in the air and has more leadership qualities than when he first broke into the side, thats about it.

The fact that he's now maximising his abilities doesn't mean he has more ability. He's playing in a system that suits him, for the club he clearly loves and FINALLY has the fans backing making him what he is.

BTW... I liked the quote he's world class for us but might not be for someone else. Thats the exact point i'm making, for us, he's at a "disguised" world class level. To suggest he has world class ability or is a world class player though is simply laughable.

He's what he promised to be as a youngster. A very good player with a great attitude who loves the club. Steven Warnock now is at the same level Jamie Carragher was a few years ago. He's a similar player, to suggest they are world class though is completely knowledgeless.

If you read my post again you'll see I never made any mention of his skills increasing in those areas. I mention one fact, he is playing a lot better. He is performing at a world class level, and he's doing it every week so he's clearly consistent as well. I'd sooner have a consistent Jamie Carragher, than a more technically gifted but not as reliable Rio Ferdinand.
Carragher has some very similar qualities to Puyol and Terry, he doesn't make mistakes, he is always involved in the game, he has great leadership qualities and can play at a top level every game. If he lacks the technical ability it doesn't seem to be affecting his performances.

I disagree that he's always been this good as well, for a start playing in a central position every game has caused a lot of improvement in him. It's clear this is not the same Jamie Carragher who scored two own goals in the same game, or who was being skinned by Zola 4 times for fun. His slide tackling does seem to have improved, and his positioning. In the air he almost matches Sami now.

Maybe we agree he is a world class performer for Liverpool, whether he could maintain the same level at another club is merely hypothetical as he isn't going anywhere.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion