Martin o'neill - What do you think?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:55 pm

Everybody is talking about Martin O'Neill replacing Houllier should he decide to leave the club.  I personally don't think he'll go, either of his own accord or if he's pushed, until the end of the season.

What attributes could Martin O'Neill bring to the job of Liverpool manager.  The people who i've mentioned it to seem to be split 50-50 about O'Neill succeeding Houllier.

Some want him, some don't.

What do you all think, should Houllier hypothetically leave the club?  There are rumours he has moved near Heskey's home address.  What can it all mean.  Is he the right man?
jonnymac1979

Postby BOODIDDY » Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:06 am

At every club Martin O'neills been at he has had success, with limited resources. The way in which he has turned Celtics' fortunes around is unbelievable. Cos believe me they are now geared for Champions League and success in general far more than we are. And yes, maybe he only had to overturn Rangers, but he has done it with a shoe string compared to what GH has had down here. We are now probably in a worse off state than when he arrived. Thank god we are not a plc cos we would be in administration. Let him move next door to Heskey, cos he's been shagging him for a while now anyhow. If not O'Neill, then who, he's the best about, available and willing to come to Liverpool at the drop of a hat.
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:24 am

He wants to come to Liverpool?  Has he said this at all?  Where'd you get that from my friend?  Are any other clubs sniffing around him aswell. 

I don't know what to think.  I think Houllier is losing the faith of a lot of people, and it's a shame.  He did do a lot of good in his first few years, he gave a lot of hope to this club.  I remember especially when Liverpool beat Arsenal 1 - 0 at Highbury with a Titi Camara goal, and at the time Arsenal were either the current Double winners, or they won the Double that season.  Arsenal threw everything they had at us that day, Thierry Henry was on fire, but he could not get past our defence.  We were phenomenal.

After that game, I could feel that the future was bright after all the disappointments of the Evans years.  Something good was happening.  You could feel it.  I was in a bar in Liverpool City Centre called De Coubertins (you all know it) watching the game that day, and John Aldridge was in there also, and you looked for his reaction at the final whistle and he was absolutely overjoyed.

Those were the days of the Houllier era weren't they, the raw players coming together as a team, but the situation has changed now, it has gone stale, and we need to adapt to the way our team has declined.  It hasn't worked has it?
jonnymac1979

Postby tomsk » Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:29 am

Glad to see the momentum is growing for Mr Houllier to go, I reckon he'll be gone within weeks.

I don't think Martin O'Neill will come though, he'll hold out to after Euro 2004 to succeed Sven.

As for Dalglish, best player ever bar none to pull on the red shirt, but as manager of us, Blackburn and Newcastle his tactics were very one dimensional that just wouldn't compete in todays game.

I reckon Sam Allardyce is the man. A miracle worker and down-to-earth guy who has worked wonders at Bolton. Rumours have it that Bolton are to be bought out in the New year and he ain't happy. We should snap him up before he gets linked with every job going.

Come on Reds, get behind the calls for Big Sam, a real life character who'll boot out wannabee's like Heskey, Vlad the Inhaler, Trashcan, Diao, Traore et al.

What do you think ?

TOMSK
tomsk

Postby BOODIDDY » Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:37 am

I work in Scotland, and the reason i say what i did his what you hear from the celtic fans, they are realists and know that MON has taken them as far as anyone can with the financial restraints that are set at celtic. He wont publicly come out and say this, but why should he? But dangle the carrot in front of him, and im sure he would take it, because the task is the hardest and most rewarding job in the premiership. The resources would be there for him, its the only challenge down here for him, why take over at an already successful club like the mancs? If he achieves, they'll say its fergies legacy, if he fails, then he fails, each way he loses.

Your right in your assessment of the GH early years, wont forget the night in dortmund as long as i live, but every dog has its day and GH has had his. When was the last time you heard so much anger and boos at Anfield, even the players are having there say and that isn't good, our sights 2 years ago were to win the title, now we seem to be settling for 4th best. Shanks his turning in his grave!
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:09 am

I think you can tell if you read my posts that I actually like Houllier.  I don't resort to calling him names.  I do really like him.  I look to him as the leader of my club, the man at the top and he is an idol to me.  I want the best for him and my club, I wish he could have got it right.  I think its too late though, it's just not happening, the rotten centre has been decaying now for a couple of years. 

I hope if he leaves that history doesn't judge him harshly.  I wont.  It just didn't work though, the signings will eventually cost him his job.  The players we have bar a few i've named in "Enough is Enough" topic should hold their heads in shame.  It is them that I hope hope history judges unfavourably.  Overpaid and under-performers. 

How lucky they should feel to say that they have played for the club that is known throughout the world as Liverpool.  Big deal, they weren't man enough to love the badge they were being rewarded so handsomely to play for. 

I've had enough.
jonnymac1979

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:09 am

Sorry, that last post was nothing about Martin O'Neill, you know how it is, it gets to you.
jonnymac1979

Postby greenred » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:26 am

your right johnnymac, I like gh as well.he seems a decent person.But his time is up.Oneill is a natural born winner who will not tolerate failure,he would never have signed the losers gh did.He has a gift for making players play above themselves,where gh does the opposite.I genuinely believe that even our present bunch of no hopers would play out of their skins for martin o neill.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:36 am

Has anyone visited any Celtic FC web forums?  I know I haven't!!!  Something i'll have to do.  What do they think about the fact that everybody and their dog is trying to poach their manager?
jonnymac1979

Postby Clifty » Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:47 am

In answer to Tomsk, not sure Sam A is the man? Big heart and big passion, but no real big experience. At least O'Neill has worked with big players (Sutton, Hartshon, Larsson). He also has Champions league experience. You are absoultely right Dalglish, our greatest ever player but I don't think you can say he couldn't hack as a manager now. He's won the league, GH hasn't! Love to see Dalglish back in the game, wherever it may be (long as its not at Scum!) Another thought, if O'Neill does come any chance of bringing Larsson. Not bad cover for the injury prone Owen?
Clifty

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:42 am

Heard something yesterday....

A bookmaker I know called Eddie told me he spoke to a guy who lives next door to Celtic's Paul Lambert, and this guy wanted money on O'Neill to be the next Liverpool manager.  The bet isn't possible because Houllier is in charge still, but the talk of Glasgow is that O'Neill will be coming to Liverpool.
jonnymac1979

Postby BOODIDDY » Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:49 am

Thats true! He will come to Liverpool, its just a matter of when.
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:22 pm

Written in stone by the sounds of it, straight from the mate of a mate's brother who knows a man who walked past this bloke who told him he'd seen the head groundsmen's daughter talking to martin o'neill about the likelihood of him joining Liverpool

Ignore media speculation, I read in the mirror (a rare event for me) that Hoddle was going to be the next Reading boss. Next day Coppell was announced as Reading boss. Pure speculative bu11shit dressed up as a probable certainty
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion