Roy's latest selection, whisper it quietly...... - But i think he's seen the light.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maguskwt » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:45 am

bigmick wrote:I agree with pretty much most of what everyone is saying regarding the manager. In modern days of transfer windows, it would seem to be daft to be giving the manager 20-30 million quid to spunk on players if either he clearly isn't up to the job, or you've got a replacement in the back of your mind. That said, I don't FWIW think we will spend big in January, I think the owners are much more likely to keep their powder dry until next Summer.

Clearly what Roy has given so far hasn't been good enough. Yes we've had an unbelieveably difficult start (even todays game is hardly a gimme under any circumstances), but we haven't played well enough by a long chalk. I do think some of the reactions have been totally over the top, but there's no point in pretending that we have come anywhere close to being good enough.

I do still though think that it's mad to consider sacking a manager at this point. Even those die-hards who want a Rafa return are campaigning for it, but he is hardly going to walk away from his job in October, and neither are any of the managers employed at decent clubs.

By the end of the season, everything will have panned out and we'll know exactly where we are. Mereiles will either have made it or not which will give us a good idea of Roy int he transfer market, ditto Konchesky and Poulsen. His playing style will either have taken shape or not, and we'll have played the Blackburns, the Boltons and the West Hams and had a chance to get some points.

On the subject of exactly how hard our start has been, it seems to get harder the longer you look at it. Even our scrappy 1-0 win at Home to West Brom which was much derided now looks like a decent result since they won at Arsenal and drew with the Mancs.

Step one is that we win a match. Today would be a fine place to start, then we move on.

Talk about difficult starts though, look at who West Brom has played so far...

Chelsea
Us
Spurs
Man City
Arsenal
Mancs

That's all top 6 hopefuls and they have got 6 points more than us.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:14 pm

They've done very well mate, no question about that. The lad they've brought in up top has been scoring every time he's swung his foot, and they look well mmanaged. Fair play to em. I still think come the end of the season they might be thanking their lucky stars they got off to a good start though.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:15 pm

They were non existant until Utd gifted them two goals, but after that they were unlucky not to win
burjennio

Postby Ciggy » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:56 pm

Lets hope hes seen the light on the exit door, smilling after that defeat feck off Roy !!!
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:00 pm

his team selection was alright, but his tactics were all wrong and the players looked not up to it to be honest
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:07 pm

metalhead wrote:his team selection was alright, but his tactics were all wrong and the players looked not up to it to be honest

His team selection was terrible. Carra isn't a RB ,Lucas isn't as football player and Maxi is lost in translation. 3 of out of 11 is too much for a hurtin team to carry.

And Yes i'm still waiting for someone to tell me what Cole is doing on the Pitch? What position is he? Total mess.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Raoul » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:09 am

I think what I'd like to see is something like this:

Reina

Carra         Kyriakos      Agger

Johnson                                              Aurelio

Miereles      Gerrard

Cole

Babel/Kuyt/Ngog   Torres

I think it makes the most of our current players abilities, and we've got plenty of back up (we'll if Aurelio and Konchesky were out I guess we'd have to go 4 at the back with Agger at LB), but I think both Kelly and Kuyt (he has the engine if not the pace) could play as wing backs on the right.  Perhaps away from home we'd partner Miereles/Gerrard with Poulsen/Lucas and play Cole/Gerrard/Miereles in the hole. I think with resting players/injuries Pacheco would get more playing time, which wouldn't hurt.
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mart » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:56 am

If Roy has seen the light in the tunnel its just a train coming to run him over.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:27 am

When Agger is fit surely he should walk back into the side?

Oh sorry I forgot. He's actually able to pass a ball. that's a quality that's not required in our team of course.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby mkingdom » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:31 pm

For me Roy has shown no evidence of seeing the light (or even opening the fridge door).

At 2-0 down he looked worried and clueless.  Why wait so long to play two up top?

I really don't know what he will play for the next match, and perhaps more worryingly I don't think he does either. ???
mkingdom

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion