Wrong team selection? - Think so

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby adamnbarrett » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:35 pm

The team selection was poor. Why rest players? to be honest in this day and age players have never been fitter. In the 70's a player was only left out if he was injured. In my opinion you should always play your best team and take no one for granted which showed yesterday. Unfortunately lessons have to be learnt.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:15 am

the return of HAS wrote:
Scottbot wrote:We've been hearing time and time again that 4th place in the PL is more important than our progress in the Champs League. We're in the SEMIs (yes the bloo.dy SEMI's!) of the European Cup and we're more worried about securing a lowly 4th place (a position which meant absolutely fu.ck all 3 years ago and was no reason to celebrate) than putting all our energy into the biggest game in LFCs recent history.

That 4th spot means so much more than you have made out. It Guarantees more money and better players, and that is how we will make long term progress.

Would you sacrifice all that for a semi final, or even a final.

The only way it will be worth it is if we win the competition, and believe me that is not easy.

I have to disagree with this HAS......The reality is that due to the unexpected success in the CL THIS season we have made nearly as much money as we are set to lose by not qualifying for next seasons CL and thats dependant on LFC making it to next years Quarter Finals.

Whilst I'll be as disappointed as most fans if we don't qualify citing loss of finances as a reason isn't exactly correct.

Also you may have understaimated the drawing power of Raf Benitez when trying to attrcat new players to LFC. Of the 7 players he has signed this season i'd say 5 have been a  success (Pelle and Josemi haven't)

None of these 7 players arrived at the club with a guarantee of CL football lnext season nd 1 of them (Morientes) knew he wouldn't figure in this seasons !

For the record I want Players who want to play for Liverpool Football Club not mercanaries on Fat pay packets and pre conditions to joining this great club .........
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:32 am

I have to disagree with this HAS......The reality is that due to the unexpected success in the CL THIS season we have made nearly as much money as we are set to lose by not qualifying for next seasons CL and thats dependant on LFC making it to next years Quarter Finals.

Whilst I'll be as disappointed as most fans if we don't qualify citing loss of finances as a reason isn't exactly correct.

Also you may have understaimated the drawing power of Raf Benitez when trying to attrcat new players to LFC. Of the 7 players he has signed this season i'd say 5 have been a  success (Pelle and Josemi haven't)

None of these 7 players arrived at the club with a guarantee of CL football lnext season nd 1 of them (Morientes) knew he wouldn't figure in this seasons !

For the record I want Players who want to play for Liverpool Football Club not mercanaries on Fat pay packets and pre conditions to joining this great club .

I've been saying this all day, spot on Ian.

The players we sign should commit to the future of this club, they can survive one year without being in the CL and knowing Benitez the players we sign surely know that Benitez can get the club back into the CL.

Alonso turned down Real Madrid to play for Benitez, Garcia left Barca to play under Benitez.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Dalglish » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:42 am

Hiya AB.

It comes down to whether you a FAN of Liverpool Football Club and expect a certain loyalty and integrity from the players and hope that is sufficient to win honours  or you have the mneatilty that says "it doesn't matter why they are here and what they are here for as long as they win !

The reality is that the successful teams of the last few years share an affinity with their clubs. Look at Arsenal FC and the way their players respond to each other and their fans. Chelsea have built a winning side drafting players in but in Terry and Lampard they have the heartbeat of the club and Mourinho has nurtured great team spirit. Even the Mancs have players who live, eat and breathe the club and in awe of their manager.......

Benitez has signed for the mist part quality players who want to play for HIM and the CLUB. Whislt we can't expect every player to be as passionate about the club as Carragher I think it's reasonable to expect them to help this club become a real force again and not be here for the short term !
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:46 am

Spot on again. I think some of us are just panicking a little bit, worried that without CL footie next season we won't be able to sign players.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Dalglish » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:52 am

A.B. wrote:Spot on again. I think some of us are just panicking a little bit, worried that without CL footie next season we won't be able to sign players.

Even if NOTHING changes with the squad and we are stuck with the same players (Hardly likely to happen) we will almost certainly perform better than we have this season just by having the players back from injury !
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:55 pm

.. agreed.. also lets not forget the Boss' pulling power.. he will be convincing players of what they can achieve at the club under him.. etc.. he's reputation is such an important aspect of the equation..
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:06 pm

It’s a nice thought Daglish. But we live in a selfish and capitalist world. The vast majority is out to look after themselves. Even John Terry was refusing to sign a new contract and talking about a potential move before Roman came along.

Players are after success and a fat wallet. I don't blame them.

Being in the Champions League year in year out is not just about the money, it is about the prestige of the club. We should be amongst the elite every year. If you want to get top players it makes it so much easier if you can offer them Champions League football. It is the height of club football for most players.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:24 pm

the return of HAS wrote:
Scottbot wrote:We've been hearing time and time again that 4th place in the PL is more important than our progress in the Champs League. We're in the SEMIs (yes the bloo.dy SEMI's!) of the European Cup and we're more worried about securing a lowly 4th place (a position which meant absolutely fu.ck all 3 years ago and was no reason to celebrate) than putting all our energy into the biggest game in LFCs recent history.

That 4th spot means so much more than you have made out. It Guarantees more money and better players, and that is how we will make long term progress.

Would you sacrifice all that for a semi final, or even a final.

The only way it will be worth it is if we win the competition, and believe me that is not easy.

totally agree with scottbot on this one lfc is in existance to win whichever comp it enters 4th or the champs league
we want to sacrifice winning the cl this year so we can finish 4th to qualify for the cl next year so we can get more money in to buy better players so we can win the cl in a couple of years.Do you get where were coming from here ace, have you seen the advert where the fella is offered two cameras for the same price but one has a zoom lense and he chooses the one with no zoom for some reason. Its abit like that we've got the chance to have a zoom lense now instead of leaving it and buying the one with out the zoom. COME ON RED MEN
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:31 am

In this day and age in football you have to do well in more than one front,we have our biggest game of the season and for many years to come against Chelski,but you still have to focus on the other matters at hand espcially the league .so it can stand us in good stead for next season.
People on the forum have said if you have the choice would you take the CL or fourth spot.Personally i wouldnt want the choice i would want both. In  a perfect world i would want us to win both the Premiership and CL .
That is why all the big teams want and need strength and depth in there squads so they can have a better chance to win more competitions.
66-1112520797

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion