Roy's latest selection, whisper it quietly...... - But i think he's seen the light.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:35 am

There has been some debate over the course of the season so far about how we haven't pressed the ball high enough, how we've not committed enough men forward, how people have been played out of position, how new signings have not fitted in, how in short we've been playing utter sh!te. We have too. Yes it's been the hardest start in living memory, yes it's early days yet, but there has been barely a glimmer of better things to come.

Now, in Roys latest team selection I think we are about to see a blueprint of Roys Liverpool, how he is going to look for us to play, and I think we're going to see it for the first time against Everton.

Here's what I think his thoughts have evolved into:

Poulsen: Rarely has a new player been so unequivically dismissed so early, and lets face it he hasn't been good so far. Stating the obvious though, Roy likes him and I think this latest system will suit him. I think Roy sees him as his base sitter, right in front of the centre halves. He doesn't want to see Poulsen easing himself around the park like a bin collection van on ice, he wants to see him sit in front and give it when he gets it. He'll do that, and we'll look a better team for it.

Lucas: Another who has polarised opinion, his stock is probably higher than it's ever been now people have seen Poulsen play. One thing Lucas does do is get about the pitch, and I think that will be his role here. To be a sitter but to also have a bit more lateral movement about him. He should be able to do the job well.

So is it the dreaded Lucas/Poulsen axis? Well yes, but here's where it gets more interesting I think and I hope this is how Roy sees it too.

I don't agree with Benny that we'll see Mereiles on the right, I think we'll see Cole, Gerrard and Mereiles interchanging as a three, in and around Torres up top. I think we'll effectively say we are going to play 4-2-3-1, with Konchesky and Johnson encouraged to bomb on and provide width.

The key to it for me is that we trust the sitters and get on with attacking. With Lucas AND Poulsen holding us up, the fullbacks should be able to attack with impunity, and Gerrard/Cole/Mereiles are good enough and clever enough to cause anybody problems, while Torres needs no build up if he's on his game.   

I think when Roy has said he's been coaching for 35 years and isn't going to change his methods some have taken that that he has a particular formation he sticks to. I don't think he does, and although I could well be wrong I've a hunch we are about to see Liverpool become quite an attacking unit starting from tomorrow. Here's hoping.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:51 am

Team tommorrow Johnson is a doubt:

Reina
Carragher, Skyrtel, Jimmy the greek, Konchesky

Mereiles  :glare:  Lucas, Poulson,  joe Cole

Gerrard

Torres
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:51 am

it all sounds good mick but where are you getting your info from that Roys idea is likely to be what you are stating ?

The last few games when he has picked the same players Meireles has been at right midfield. So what has made you think that he wont be there tomorrow ?  ???
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby maguskwt » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:52 pm

Mick, you must be an eternal optimist for Roy... Didn't we see Javier "10-times-better-than-Poulsen" Mascherano and Lucas pairing did badly last season? What makes you think Poulsen/Lucas pairing will stand a chance. From what I've seen from the line-up that Ciggy posted, Roy has far from seen the light.

But I'm in a less critical mood nowadays because we have new owners. If Roy screws up now, John Henry's gonna make sure that he's gonna be shipped out in a jiffy.  :)
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:56 pm

It needs whispering quietly Poulson and Lucas , They shouldnt even be talked in sign language never mind whisperd  in the same team together.
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:00 pm

bigmick wrote:There has been some debate over the course of the season so far about how we haven't pressed the ball high enough, how we've not committed enough men forward, how people have been played out of position, how new signings have not fitted in, how in short we've been playing utter sh!te. We have too. Yes it's been the hardest start in living memory, yes it's early days yet, but there has been barely a glimmer of better things to come.

Now, in Roys latest team selection I think we are about to see a blueprint of Roys Liverpool, how he is going to look for us to play, and I think we're going to see it for the first time against Everton.

Here's what I think his thoughts have evolved into:

Poulsen: Rarely has a new player been so unequivically dismissed so early, and lets face it he hasn't been good so far. Stating the obvious though, Roy likes him and I think this latest system will suit him. I think Roy sees him as his base sitter, right in front of the centre halves. He doesn't want to see Poulsen easing himself around the park like a bin collection van on ice, he wants to see him sit in front and give it when he gets it. He'll do that, and we'll look a better team for it.

Lucas: Another who has polarised opinion, his stock is probably higher than it's ever been now people have seen Poulsen play. One thing Lucas does do is get about the pitch, and I think that will be his role here. To be a sitter but to also have a bit more lateral movement about him. He should be able to do the job well.

So is it the dreaded Lucas/Poulsen axis? Well yes, but here's where it gets more interesting I think and I hope this is how Roy sees it too.

I don't agree with Benny that we'll see Mereiles on the right, I think we'll see Cole, Gerrard and Mereiles interchanging as a three, in and around Torres up top. I think we'll effectively say we are going to play 4-2-3-1, with Konchesky and Johnson encouraged to bomb on and provide width.

The key to it for me is that we trust the sitters and get on with attacking. With Lucas AND Poulsen holding us up, the fullbacks should be able to attack with impunity, and Gerrard/Cole/Mereiles are good enough and clever enough to cause anybody problems, while Torres needs no build up if he's on his game.   

I think when Roy has said he's been coaching for 35 years and isn't going to change his methods some have taken that that he has a particular formation he sticks to. I don't think he does, and although I could well be wrong I've a hunch we are about to see Liverpool become quite an attacking unit starting from tomorrow. Here's hoping.

We will see Micky!! :D

I'd love to know where you get the grounds to say we are about to become an attacking unit from.....You must be talking about another Roy,not the one I have been watching!
All I have seen from Roy is caution and borderline fear,silly team selections,people out of position,players practically shackled,bad performances and embarrassing results.....am I wrong and missing something?

I really hope you are right though and we start taking it to teams home and away.....It would be great to see players given freedom and going all out for goals as opposed to putting more emphasis on not conceding......IMO though I just don't think this style of Footy is in Roy!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:14 pm

Ciggy wrote:Team tommorrow Johnson is a doubt:

Reina
Carragher, Skyrtel, Jimmy the greek, Konchesky

Mereiles  :glare:  Lucas, Poulson,  joe Cole

Gerrard

Torres

:laugh:

Also:
Lucas: Another who has polarised opinion, his stock is probably higher than it's ever been now people have seen Poulsen play.

:laugh:

This threads a laugh a minute! Maybe the wolrd just seems a better place today
burjennio

Postby bigmick » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:24 pm

Well obviously I haven't got any info, and equally obviously there's nothing we've seen so far to exactly make it look like I might be onto something, but that doesn't stop me thinking I'm right :D .

My main reasoning is that we have been sooooo bad so far, that I can't believe that we are simply going to try again with the same approach. We MUST be about to try something different, and I think this is it.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:30 pm

One other thing, if this IS it, I like the team and the approach. A front four like this, with the full backs bombing on. Pretty gung ho really :D 

Torres

Konchesky              Cole    Gerrard   Mereiles           Johnson
              ^                                                                    ^
               l                                                                     l
               l                         Lucas    Poulsen                      l 
               l                                                                     l
               l                  Skrytel               Carragher              l

Go get em lads :buttrock

EDIT- If johnson is injured, same system applies with the Greek in and Carra to the right. This way has the added bonus that if it doesn't work, we can always stick the Greek up top and lump it into him :D.
Last edited by bigmick on Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:35 pm

Mick - you need help.
Next....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Ben Patrick » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:38 pm

bigmick wrote:Well obviously I haven't got any info, and equally obviously there's nothing we've seen so far to exactly make it look like I might be onto something, but that doesn't stop me thinking I'm right :D .

My main reasoning is that we have been sooooo bad so far, that I can't believe that we are simply going to try again with the same approach. We MUST be about to try something different, and I think this is it.

The thing is though mick meireles played on the right against Sunderland and it didnt work, he was then still there the next week against Blackpool...and it didnt work.

We get what should be the line up and to me it seems he is on the right again.
If i am wrong great but i dont think i will be.
I genuinely dont think he would change tact so drastically in a massive away game against our bitter rivals.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby metalhead » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:41 pm

Sorry Mick, I disagree, I don't think he has seen the light. The selection is one dimensional, Poulsen and Lucas don't pass the ball forward too much and its going to limit our momentum (hopefully I'm wrong). This lineup might get us a 0-0 scoreline because we look solid but it won't get us goals and Torres will be left isolated again. Meireles on the right doesn't look good either. I hope Roy knows what he is doing
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:43 pm

Sum times i feel like throwing my hands up in the airr
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:50 pm

I know I can't count on you. Dumdum, da dum dum.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:54 pm

:laugh:  :laugh: you hum it ill play it
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion