Roy's latest selection, whisper it quietly...... - But i think he's seen the light.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maguskwt » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:56 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:The thing is though mick meireles played on the right against Sunderland and it didnt work, he was then still there the next week against Blackpool...and it didnt work.

that's what i've been most depressed about regarding Roy's team. We thought we played so bad  until before sunderland that a good performance is overdue and we were gonna trounce them and we didn't. We thought we played so bad until before Blackpool that we were gonna trounce them and not only did we not do it, but we lost to them...  :glare:
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:02 pm

Mick, what will be your opinion of Roy if we lose this derby? I know you will say we will not lose, but what if we really did? Will he still deserve one whole season?
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:24 pm

maguskwt wrote:Mick, what will be your opinion of Roy if we lose this derby? I know you will say we will not lose, but what if we really did? Will he still deserve one whole season?

It's a fair question mate but I'd be surprised if my opinion of Roy alters much whether we lose it or win it. Whatever happens, it's only one game and we might just as well fluke it despite being utter sh!t as we might get robbed by a dodgy pen. I've always based my opinion on any manager on a longer term assessment, and for me I would need at least a season or so to be sure either way. That said, obviously if we were in the relegation zone in January you wouldn't need to see the season out in order to be fairly sure it wasn't working.

I've said many times now that given a reasonable run with injuries, them team is good enough IMHO to challenge for the top four. I don't think it'll be good enough to get into it, but it should be there or thereabouts. If we don't get that, and there isn't some significant cup excitement to compensate, then the manager has failed.

FWIW when it comes to "changing my views" on Roy, I actually think you'd be surprised to learn that I share many peoples concerns on here. So far, he hasn't stepped up to the plate IMHO. Yes we've had some unbelieveably tough matches, but yes we haven't played well enough.

Where I differ from most is not in my assessment of Roy so far, it is in the fact that I think he should be given a proper go before we slag him off.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:11 pm

NANNY RED wrote:It needs whispering quietly Poulson and Lucas , They shouldnt even be talked in sign language never mind whisperd  in the same team together.

:laugh:
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:12 pm

bigmick wrote:
maguskwt wrote:Mick, what will be your opinion of Roy if we lose this derby? I know you will say we will not lose, but what if we really did? Will he still deserve one whole season?

It's a fair question mate but I'd be surprised if my opinion of Roy alters much whether we lose it or win it. Whatever happens, it's only one game and we might just as well fluke it despite being utter sh!t as we might get robbed by a dodgy pen. I've always based my opinion on any manager on a longer term assessment, and for me I would need at least a season or so to be sure either way. That said, obviously if we were in the relegation zone in January you wouldn't need to see the season out in order to be fairly sure it wasn't working.

I've said many times now that given a reasonable run with injuries, them team is good enough IMHO to challenge for the top four. I don't think it'll be good enough to get into it, but it should be there or thereabouts. If we don't get that, and there isn't some significant cup excitement to compensate, then the manager has failed.

FWIW when it comes to "changing my views" on Roy, I actually think you'd be surprised to learn that I share many peoples concerns on here. So far, he hasn't stepped up to the plate IMHO. Yes we've had some unbelieveably tough matches, but yes we haven't played well enough.

Where I differ from most is not in my assessment of Roy so far, it is in the fact that I think he should be given a proper go before we slag him off.

I agree with mick . It feels so so uncomfortable asking for an LFC manager to be sacked in October. Not right atall imo.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:20 pm

We would be such a different team if we pressed higher up the field and did not conseed possesion and space to the oppo so easily.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby OneHotRed » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:24 pm

Completley agree Igor, I dont think its the formation, I just think we are sitting back too much, change that and i think we see a different side (i.e as he has had to in the last few minutes this season, we play loads better)
OneHotRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:29 pm

Yeah exactly, our team is built to press. If we just sit back we essentially stifle the likes of Torres and Johnson. Even when not fit over the years he was still scoring plenty.

For me it doesn't matter what lineup Roy picks. He needs to drop this sitting back nonsense as it doesn't look like it's going to work with the players we have. The sooner Roy notices that the better. And that's not being whispered quietly either, it's being shouted.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:30 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:We would be such a different team if we pressed higher up the field and did not conseed possesion and space to the oppo so easily.

agreed. also agree with your previous comment about how weird it would feel for us to sack or call for our manager to be sacked so early into the season.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby tubby » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:39 pm

If we don't get into the top half of the table pretty soon then it won't be long before that question is asked. You can't seriously expect him to be given the rest of the season let alone another year if we are still hanging around the relegation zone after the next 5 games.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby OneHotRed » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:43 pm

I honestly cant see hodgson sticking with the sitting back for much longer if at all, if he does, theres something seriously wrong, as said above, we are built to spank teams, not sit back, and we do have the talent to be a primarily attacking side, I feel that both Rafa and Hodgson tried to make us more defensive, which seems to work in europe, however it rapes us in the PL.

He surely must look at the side and realise this, if not, I cant see him being here much longer as it is blatant stupidity not to see what everyone else can.

On a side note, the only reason we were playing that way is they knew this was all going to kick off (Thats what I hope) with G+H and hes done it on purpose, now its time to get back into the top 4 and make the new owners look like Jesus!
OneHotRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:03 pm

bavlondon wrote:If we don't get into the top half of the table pretty soon then it won't be long before that question is asked. You can't seriously expect him to be given the rest of the season let alone another year if we are still hanging around the relegation zone after the next 5 games.

The ownership issue won't change my mind. It's 3 points with a performance that looks promising or cheerio for me tomorrow. Why even wait 5 games. That formation Ciggy posted looks ridiculous if he's going to play that. Four CM's across our middle? Mereiles on the right wing in a 4-4-2? Mind-numbing stuff.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:10 pm

Funnily enough I agree with some of what Emerald says, and it's not often I can say that.

I thought the "it's the owners" excuses for the last three seasons were precisely that, excuses, and we don't need to be using them now. The players and the manager have a full week almost completely out of the media glare in order to prepare for the game, and that must be a huge bonus I think. Equally, surely all supporters will be hugely buoyed by the ownership news so there can hardly be a better opportunity to put a performance in and get a result.

I don't really buy into this "if we aren't in such and such a position after the next five matches" stuff because it doesn't make any sense to me. Even if we have already decided, as of now, to get rid of Roy (and I know some on here have) doing so mid-season would be madness. Pretty much every manager worth his salt already has a job (I know there are a sprinkling of exceptions), and history has proven it is not the right way to go.

Let Roy do his stuff, when the time comes we'll all have a pretty good idea of where we stand.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:32 pm

The Derby whether posters like it or not, can either be the catalyst for a new start ,or it can simply reaffirm our fears that the current incumbent does not have the desire as a manager or indeed the tactics  needed to inspire a performance from the reds ....and if the latter is the case (and with that I mean there is no heart or urgency in the teams play ) then I am sure the supporters will let him know ...
ffs this is a Merseyside Derby usually brimming with blood and thunder ,if it resembles in any respect our hapless cowardly performances against Blackpool and the like ...... then its curtains for the manager I'm afraid 
We need a win here Roy and we need a confidence boosting performance anything else will be simply not acceptable .....our cup final is tomorrow ,we need to see some lung bursting runs ,some take no prisoner tackles ,we need to see some cohesion in our passing ,we need to see our manager making decisions based on winning the game .... we need to shut these fucking Bitters up
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby OneHotRed » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:41 pm

The good thing is now, there are no other excuses we can make for the players and Roy, if they lose tommorow it is down to them and no one else as RBG said, lung busting runs, hammerhead tackles and a shoitload of passion needed in this game.

If we lose tommorow its down to Roys tactics and/or the players heart and performance
OneHotRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion