Spurs vs LIVERPOOL - Sat 17th Oct 2015 KO 12.45pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:55 pm

Decent point that, especially given our injury situation.
Love Klopps style of play but a lot of our players quite frankly aren't up to it, a lot of them were clearly flagging at the end of the first half never mind the second. It's going to a while before this lot are fit enough for 90 minutes of full throttle football.
Origi seems to be coming in for a bit of stick as well but to be fair to the lad the supply into him was almost non existent. Jurgen needs to do something about that.

Edit - apparently we ran further today than any other prem team has done this season! If so I take my comment back about not being fit enough, yes they need to be fitter in order to gegenpress for the full 90 but credit where it's due, with only a few days training they have really put a shift in today.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:36 pm

Liked our start, didn't let them settle. However overall, thought it was a poor game, especially in the last third from both sides. Don't know if the international break and early kick off had anything to do with it,  but game just seemed a bit flat and in the end.

Bigger picture, decent point for Klopp to start with,  hasn't had much of a chance with the players so imagine he will be delighted with an away point and a clean sheet in the circumstances
Doeboy

Postby kartiek » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:27 pm

For me, to see the players giving it their all, trying to fight for every ball, that's what makes it fun to watch LFC. When we aren't playing the best, at least our tactics are better. I think we'll improve with Benteke and Sturridge back in, but more than anything, it was a strong defensive showing and I really enjoyed the high tempo football.
kartiek

Postby redshade » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:33 pm

Has anyone got a link where i can re-watch the full match?
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:24 pm

Reasonable first 20 minutes and that was it. Defence were better. Spurs were shight. No absolute stand out performances other than Mignolet who saved Lallana"s blushes and secured us a point. Did Lallana really cost £25m and are we really paying CAPTAIN Milner £120k a week ??  It will take some time to sort this lot out !!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:31 pm

One dissapointing aspect was I don't actually remember Lloris making a proper save for them.
Doeboy

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:17 pm

devaney » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:24 pm wrote:Reasonable first 20 minutes and that was it. Defence were better. Spurs were shight. No absolute stand out performances other than Mignolet who saved Lallana"s blushes and secured us a point. Did Lallana really cost £25m and are we really paying CAPTAIN Milner £120k a week ??  It will take some time to sort this lot out !!

To be fair Spurs haven't lost in the league since the opening weekend and last time they played at home they beat City 4-1.
Considering we went there with probably our 4th choice striker leading the line for us I thought we did pretty well.
Yes as a team we are a long way off from where we want to be but our season won't be ruined by a point away at Spurs.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:31 pm

Agree.  I think JK's first and foremost aim was not to lose this game and that is perfectly fine considering he has only 2-3 days to work with the players. We looked pretty solid apart from the odd individual drop in concentration.

Spurs are no mugs under Pochettino and this wasn't an easy trip but overall there's no cause for complain considering our new manager has not had a proper chance to work with his players, we were playing our 4th choice striker and away to a team that are doing well at the moment who also saw off City 4-1 recently.

I would have liked us to get more shots in as I don't really remember Lloris really making a proper save for them,however overall a good solid point after taking everything into account
Doeboy

Postby ethanr » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:55 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:17 am wrote:
devaney » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:24 pm wrote:Reasonable first 20 minutes and that was it. Defence were better. Spurs were shight. No absolute stand out performances other than Mignolet who saved Lallana"s blushes and secured us a point. Did Lallana really cost £25m and are we really paying CAPTAIN Milner £120k a week ??  It will take some time to sort this lot out !!

To be fair Spurs haven't lost in the league since the opening weekend and last time they played at home they beat City 4-1.
Considering we went there with probably our 4th choice striker leading the line for us I thought we did pretty well.
Yes as a team we are a long way off from where we want to be but our season won't be ruined by a point away at Spurs.

I think's a huge point there. Our 4th choice striker. It's not just that we don't have better players in, it's that we don't have some of our best players available. Sturridge and Benteke are two of our best players and offer a lot more than what Origi does. If we had either one I'm sure we would have been on the front foot for longer periods of the game.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:56 pm

For Fu'cks Sake  :veryangry

Some of the criticism by some in here is over the top !

Guarentee 99% of us would have settled for a point before the kick off.

We weren't great but the application from the team was more than encouraging.

I for one was more than pleased to see us just getting stuck in and playing without fear.

The foundation is being laid, I'm confident we'll only get better   :buttrock

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby redshade » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:24 pm

Im happy with the point aswel. Considering the circumstances of less time for JK and injured players we did well. Clean sheet and a po8nt away from home vs tough opposition.
I wanted to see glimses of change and thats what we got.
All in all positive result.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:57 pm

I guess it's not a coincidence that we've covered the most ground in this game compared to previous games this season. Things are obviously already in motion. I have to be honest though, I'm still not utterly convinced that outrunning the opposition in every game is the smartest strategy.

Anyway, here's the stat I was talking about:

damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:06 pm

Happy with the work rate ,and the effort the lads put in earlier ,loved seeing every player pressing the ball with such an intensity and sweeping up mistakes.
Can and Lucas were absolutely immense ,Sakho just a colossus ,and Mignolet with far more protection in front of him looked World class between the sticks .

I mean this is a Spudz team that have finally become accustomed to the style their manager has persisted with ,he's made them incredibly difficult to beat and they work extremely hard in gaining back possession ,in fact prior to today no team had out run them. We went to a notoriously difficult ground ,and visited a team bang in form ,and in  the second half they looked exhausted and we finished the stronger.

I think we will see a potent looking team develop under Klopp ,and shorn today of Benteke ,Sturridge,Ings ,Firmino ,Henderson, the performance from the players was a world away from the indecisive shuffling we suffered under the last hapless incumbent. 

Loved watching Klopp's energy on the touchline ,its like the difference between light and shade ,the man creates enough electricity to dispense with the Hoover Dam.

:buttrock Different class !
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:10 pm

In term's of implementing the style Klopp wants to implement,  that stat is very good to see.  However like McManaman mentioned on BT, that stat alone doesn't mean much.  Teams with good players don't necessarily have to run around a lot to hurt opposition and win games.  But definitely, in the context of Klopp implementing his philosophy it is good to see.

I think this season will be one where JK evaluates what he has and decides who fits in with his philosophy and who doesn't and then proceeding to getting his squad right. Once we have the players who can capitulise on all that running, that kind of stat will mean much more
Doeboy

Postby redshade » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:44 pm

We showed character.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games