LIVERPOOL VS TRABZONSPOR - Thur 19/8/2010  19:45

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby matt_liverpool » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:54 am

Well done lads. A win is a win, no matter how we get it. Turkey is always a difficult place to get a result but we did it and that's all it matters. It's good that we are still in this competition, it gives us great chance to play our reserves and kids, give match practice to players coming back from injury and get some confidence back after results like Man City.  :)
matt_liverpool

Postby RedSi35 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:08 am

matt_liverpool wrote:Well done lads. A win is a win, no matter how we get it. Turkey is always a difficult place to get a result but we did it and that's all it matters. It's good that we are still in this competition, it gives us great chance to play our reserves and kids, give match practice to players coming back from injury and get some confidence back after results like Man City.  :)

I think the win is the only positive that can be taken from tonight. The problem is apart from maybe 2/3 players that was pretty much the best team we can field on a weekly basis. What shocked me is our inability to retain the ball, to pass the ball and at times to actually move about on the pitch with any fluency. The team constantly looks tired and drained of any zip and energy when they play
RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby petsi » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:29 am

Congratulations mates,

you've been again the better side, and dominate almost the whole game. I really admired N'gog. Unfortunately, TS don't have a deep squad. Additionally, Umut was left out and Giray (who scored the own goal) normally is a sub to Glowacki. We have been playing with the same squad for 15 days and this was the 5th game during this time. So we were unable to play the TS's own play, and watched Liverpool dominate the midfield.

I really wish success for LFC for the left of the season. It was nice to be together here with you. I hope in next years, we will be tied again.

Greetings from Istanbul.
petsi

Postby Owzat » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:50 am

ruskiy playmaker wrote:Dirk Kuyt- the master of rebound goals:D

Right place at the right time. And what would you rather him do, get in a position to tap-in or stand further out so he (or someone else) can miss..................!?!?!?!?

And on the flip side, Johnson gets credit (for an assist) because the defender deflects it into the net which is fortunate, N'Gog was more than capable of missing from there and probably would had he been in the position Kuyt was to 'tap-in' which he wasn't and you have to give credit to the players that do put themselves in positions to score not criticise them.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:52 am

jimmy brighton wrote:Aurelio still rusty. Corner. C'mon!

rusty from all the metal pins in his legs holding them together!
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:36 am

petsi wrote:Congratulations mates,

you've been again the better side, and dominate almost the whole game. I really admired N'gog. Unfortunately, TS don't have a deep squad. Additionally, Umut was left out and Giray (who scored the own goal) normally is a sub to Glowacki. We have been playing with the same squad for 15 days and this was the 5th game during this time. So we were unable to play the TS's own play, and watched Liverpool dominate the midfield.

I really wish success for LFC for the left of the season. It was nice to be together here with you. I hope in next years, we will be tied again.

Greetings from Istanbul.

Top man! I thought you'd done enough to get the win to be honest but Liverpool pulled through. Good tie though.

as for N'gog - you can have him for free. call it a sovenier, with love from Liverpool.

all the best
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:53 am

petsi wrote:Congratulations mates,

Greetings from Istanbul.

Thanks Petsi, you guys were better in the first half, but we started holding more possession in the 2nd and did much better. I don't think we dominated the midfield, not at all, you have some players that can pass the ball pretty well and thats why you kept it 1-0 until the own goal, which lowered your confidence.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:23 am

Couldn't watch or listen to the game last night and the highlights aren't available on the offal till Sunday. Please could someone provide a decent write up of the game? Who played well/poorly etc. I gather we were poor first half and much better in the 2nd.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:08 pm

Scottbot wrote:Couldn't watch or listen to the game last night and the highlights aren't available on the offal till Sunday. Please could someone provide a decent write up of the game? Who played well/poorly etc. I gather we were poor first half and much better in the 2nd.

Ok Scott I'll give you a brief report about the game mate

First Half - Not very good, couldn't keep the ball, Kuyt's fault for their goal when he lost it in our own half, which the TS midfielder capitalized with a good pass (which caught our defence sleeping) to score. After the goal we couldn't get our grip in midfield and they had a couple of chances they missed. Lucas-Poulsen wasn't working, I don't think the pair had a good first half as well. For me the players that looked out of depth in the first half were Kuyt, Aurelio, Ngog and Lucas. Poulsen was ok (looked unfit). Joe Cole held the ball well, but he wasn't very influential, he looked better when he went wide a couple of times, I think he is better out wide

Second Half - Much better, started brightly and Ngog almost scored with header from a beautiful cross from Joe Cole. He should have scored that!  Again, Ngog missed another chance, little bit of trickery but wide too. He started doing well in the 2nd half. Also, we started keeping more possession in midfield. However, we didn't look like scoring much, and our defence was solid (except for a few scares). Soto has to start next  game, he is doing better than Skrtel. When Dani Pacheco came on, it changed the game a bit, there was more balance and we opened up TS a bit. Then Johnson does brilliantly to take on a defender on the right (as he always does) and puts in a low cross which resulted in an own goal. I thought Johnson had a really good game, supported the attack alot. Babel came on he also did an immediate impact on the pitch for the last 5 minutes. 2nd goal game from a pacheco shot (which was laid by Babel) keeper save and Kuyt on the rebound. good half that.

Here is my ratings

Reina - 7 -  brilliant save in the first half and he was quick off his line on many occasions, thought he did well.

Johnson - 7 - Brilliant set up for the first goal, looks like he is getting his form back

Soto - 7 - Thought he was solid

Carragher - 7 - Did a fantastic block in the first half that was going to go in.

Kelly - 6 - Poor first half, got better in the 2nd half, doesn't look like a left back.

Kuyt - 6 - would have given him a 5 but he scored a goal, wasn't the best of games for him but popped up with a winner.

Lucas - 6 - same old Lucas, losing the ball, conceding freekicks, but generally he was ok.

Poulsen - 6 - looks unfit, but again he showed his tactical awareness and his defensive capabilities

Aurelio - 5 - Not the best of games

Joe Cole - 6 - was ok, held the ball pretty well I thought, good crosses into the box.

Ngog - 6 - Poor first half , better 2nd half.

Subs:

Pacheco - 7 - Changed the game, showed a bit of skills and his passing was good when he went in, should play more often

Babel - 6 - for 5 minutes on the pitch, he did well

Skrtel - NA - not enough time
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:16 pm

Thanks MH.

Didn't get to see the game either.  :(
tonyeh

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:40 pm

Agree with Metalhead's analysis and I'd add an extra word about how frustrating Ngog can be at times.  In the first half he was very poor at holding up the ball and bringing teammates into play, which just served to keep putting us under pressure.  He's far too easily shrugged off the ball at times and his decision making lets him down.  There were a few instances where he tried to turn and take on 2-3 defenders by himself rather than protect the ball and wait for support.  Had me shaking my head a few times and the missed header in the second half was an absolute sitter.  Very frustrating stuff.

On the flip side, I thought Kelly had a good game at LB.  For a young lad, his decision making is almost always spot on in terms of when to burst forward and when to hang back.  The Trabzonspor winger (African fella) gave him a few early problems down the flank but then he got a read on him and shut it down.  In the second half the Turks switched their left winger (another danger man) over to have a go but he didn't get too much joy off Kelly either.  It looked as though Roy asked Kelly to bomb on a bit more in the 2nd half as well, which he did to good effect on occasion.  For a (presumably) right footed player, he can whip in a tasty cross with his left foot and he did that on a couple of occasions.  Another good game from the young lad, who already looks a better player than Insua.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby metalhead » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:58 pm

I didn't see Kelly to be good at playing left back to me mate, he is right footed, and you can see sometimes when he tries to cut inside he can't do it with his left and it makes him feel uncomfortable, which he ends up losing the ball. even when he wants to cross the ball, its difficult. However, I do think he is a good player, has the potential to be better than Warnock

at RB, he would be quality there.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby In and Out » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:08 am

Just watched the game, overall our performance was very average I have to say. We were non-existant in the first half (we need to sort our first halves out!). We didn't press the ball at all and were happy to sit infront of them while they dinked it about, problem though was they opened our defence up a few times with some nice through balls, they did this in the second half as well. That honestly was a worry for me and on that game I thought Kelly's positioning at times was naive, allthough I don't think the Grock or Carra made things easier for him.

N'gog-The fella is infuriating to watch he really is, at times he looks as though he's all legs and prances around looking like Bambi all to loose posession in a cumbersome way. Either that or he thinks he's Messi and tries to take a man and fecks that up! Then when a goalscoring opportunity comes his way like that header he misses from 5 yards out, it would of been harder to place that header wide than in the back of the net. :O But then all of a sudden he tries something and it pays off and looks half decent. As I said before the bloke blows way too hot and cold for me.

Poulsen looked okay-ish, Lucas marginally better, Cole was on the periphial, Aurelio was non-existant and Kuyt chipped in with his inevitable effort.

Not really too much else to say in honesty, it was like a bitter sweet pill watching us win that tie as personally I couldn't give a feck about this comp, we've got far more pressing issues to worry about. I'd rather us go for the FA cup this year.

Well done lads
Football is a relatively simple game and Roy knows it ;)
In and Out
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:43 am

I see Trabzon won 3-2 away from home tonight, Pazarspor 2 - 3 Trabzon Karadenizspor they're continuing their good start to the season. Shame their fans dont post here any more..... :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:53 am

Yes they are going very well. Beating any Turkish team home and away is no mean feat and our lads deserve huge credit for seeing them off IMHO.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games