Liverpool vs portsmouth - Play for the shirt

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby shawnk » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:12 am

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:I'm just so glad I reserved judgement on  Aquilani while others had him packed off to Italy before the lads career barely had time to take off ,I'm glad I held back because now I have an argument to base around his inclusion

I mean it wasn't just me was it    ??? Aquilani actually looked as good as I first  believed he would be, the kids a player and has the potential to be a damn fine one at that ,his distribution was first class and the ease with which he picked out Torres for the fourth was almost arrogant in its conception ,also like to say that was Maxi's best game in a Red shirt ,and Mascherano once again supplied the bite to our midfield ,I also thought Gerrard was served up some genuine quality chances which he spurned but nevertheless  the supply was there from the impressive Aquilani and Rodriguez .....

Enjoyed the game as a whole ,but as for our opponents frankly  Portsmouth were poor and the space they allowed us was criminal that said Liverpool played the game at a decent pace with an attacking intent ,I don't however think we will play this freely against the Mancs but I expect us to win by a narrow margin

Not as arrogant as the one from Reina.
That was the pass of the day for me.
shawnk

Postby shawnk » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:21 am

No one mentioned about Babel. Thought his performance was fine and always tried closing in on the opponent. Did see him link well with Torres a few times plus some one twos. He needs to get more chances.
shawnk

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:31 am

Reg wrote:
s@int wrote:
Reg wrote:I learnt everything from your book.  :laugh:

Maybe I should have included a few more pictures then as you seem to be struggling to drive your point home    :laugh:

There were too many pictures of you knobbing Dawson already.   :rasp

Nothing wrong with being a pitcher Reg , but Judge tells me  you are much more of a wide receiver  :rasp
account deleted by request

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:42 am

shawnk wrote:No one mentioned about Babel. Thought his performance was fine and always tried closing in on the opponent. Did see him link well with Torres a few times plus some one twos. He needs to get more chances.

Thought he played really good tonight.  I've always said that if he were given a lot of playing time, he could be our version of C. Ronaldo.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby Reg » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:30 am

s@int wrote:
Reg wrote:
s@int wrote:
Reg wrote:I learnt everything from your book.  :laugh:

Maybe I should have included a few more pictures then as you seem to be struggling to drive your point home    :laugh:

There were too many pictures of you knobbing Dawson already.   :rasp

Nothing wrong with being a pitcher Reg , but Judge tells me  you are much more of a wide receiver  :rasp

Not like you pillow biter, I prefer chocolate chips in my icecream, not up my one eyed trouser snake.  :eyebrow
Last edited by Reg on Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby rocky29 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:47 am

read all my posts ive being saying all along aquilani has to have a more attacking role. what a player. the next roberto baggio is born?
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:49 am

Reg wrote:Not be you pillow biter, I prefer chocolate chips in my icecream, not up my one eyed trouser snake.  :eyebrow

Yeah Judge told me you prefer it when he clears your throat for you afterwards. Past the teeth, past the gums, lookout stomach here Judge comes  :laugh:
account deleted by request

Postby Reg » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:49 am

s@int wrote:
Reg wrote:Not be you pillow biter, I prefer chocolate chips in my icecream, not up my one eyed trouser snake.  :eyebrow

Yeah Judge told me you prefer it when he clears your throat for you afterwards. Past the teeth, past the gums, lookout stomach here Judge comes  :laugh:

S@int you have the IQ of an unborn child!  :help
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Zidane » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:41 am

Very happy with the result unfortunately if we go back to being :censored: against Lille then the confidence will quickly go away.  I hope that Aquilani gets the start on thursday and we put in another fine performance like today really looking forward to it. 

He was easily MOTM, if it weren't for him we would have had another terrible game I feel.  He made the team play the way they are capable of playing.  Maxi played well too but I'm with Saint in regards to him, I'm a bit confused with him as to how good he actually is.  He is a great all around player but I still dont quite know how good he can be or really is.
Zidane

Postby Owzat » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:50 am

blurblur wrote:Aquilani played well in his atttacking role tonight... He is certainly more suited in a much more attacking position in midfield unlike Alonso where passes are being sprayed from deep...
Although this is a nice win for us, the goal we conceded from the left again shows the inadequacies of Insua... His positioning is so poor that most of the goals we conceded this season came from his side whenever he plays... He is just NOT good enough for our squad...!!!
In addition, the reason why we won by a decent margin today is because...... Lucas did not start the game...!!! :laugh:

I think the reason(s) we won were, it was the bottom club, Aquilani played instead of Lucas and he and Torres both played well, and the set-up was somewhat more positive than it usually is.

Some good finishes, but the difference for me was Aquilani and Torres, the rest of the team being picked up like it so often is when one or two stars play. What odds Aquilani doesn't play in the Euro Disney League and/or Rafa goes for Lucas alongside Mascherano in an attempt to stifle the mancs on Sunday............................................?

Let's not get too carried away with this result, our GD is still some way inferior to spudz and only 2-3 better than citeh and villa who have 2-3 games in hand. I doubt villa will take 4th, but citeh would have to feck up bigtime for us to finish 4th - spudz are more than capable. We've got eight games left, Chelsea home and mancs away are two of them

Man Utd (a)
Sunderland (h)
Birmingham (a)
Fulham (h)
West Ham (h)
Burnley (a)
Chelsea (h)
Hull (a)

Not an easy set of away games, although Hull and Burnley are sat in the relegation zone and struggling to get out, they won't be easy wins as the mancs and bitters (both lost) found out at Burnley, Chelsea (drew) and bitters (lost) found out at Hull.

Home form alone won't be enough to secure 4th, we need probably 6-7 wins to be in with a shot. Rafa may finally shake his mental shackles and go for broke, like last season we left it too late to break into positive mode. Aquilani has to stay in for Lucas, if he gets injured well I'm afraid that's a risk HAS to be taken. Kuyt might benefit from a rest, plenty on here don't appreciate his contribution, but I and others do - and not just stats contribution. Maybe a two up front approach may be required when things don't go quite so right, and while Babel had a decent game last night, it was only Pompey. When it came to Lille he did all the things Kuyt doesn't, and while that may look pleasing to the eye, until possession is lost, it doesn't bring goals. He'll no doubt be back on Thursday, Rodriguez is ineligible isn't he?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:38 am

Benitez  didn't need to be defensive against a dead team wakling that know their destiny! Portsmouth really didn't make it too difficult and if I'm really honest I was very disappointed with the second half 1-1 result. If the likes of Aquilani and Babel can't perform against a team that hardly puts in a tackle and allows so much space then we have a really serious problem. Thought Aquilani showed true signs of brilliance in a position that he clearly enjoys. The affect of not having the improved but utterly useless Lucas in the team was clear for all to see! Aquilani created more in one game than Lucas has all season but it was a very poor and desperately dispirited Portsmouth. Let's not get carried away. Lille and Man United are going to be interesting but just what will Benitez do. Has he been resting Kuyt or has he actually realised that Kuyt is having an awful season?
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby andy_g » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:57 am

i only saw the last half hour and a 20 minute highlight video this morning, but from what i've seen apart from it being a great result and we played some genuinely nice football. excellent to see babel and aquilini on the scoresheet with two finally taken goals. in fact, babel's one reminded me of that one he scored against derby 2 or 3 seasons ago, the moment when we all sat up and thought 'hang on a minute... we've got a player here'.

it was also good to see benitez going with a much more attacking line up and it paying dividends. and hopefully this is the real aquilini - a pleasure to watch if he plays like that.

but we have to temper the euphoria a bit. no other team for the rest of the season will give us that much space to play football in, and maybe benitez won't take the cue to carry on with a more attacking team. we've seen plenty of times in the past that he struggles to see the advantage of playing that way even after a good win or two. portsmouth are dead in the water and that is the only acceptable kind of scoreline at home against that kind of opposition.

i'm going to enjoy the win for a couple of days and then get all jittery for thursday again. i'm trying to to think about sunday just yet...
Last edited by andy_g on Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:23 am

Blimey. I actually can say I enjoyed watching us last night. Ok I know Pompey were dire but at least we showed a lot more attacking intent with the team lineup and reaped the rewards. It's hardly a coincidence that Torres and Gerrard looked better without Kuyt and Lucas in the side as there was far more movement around them. Maxi had his best game for us and hell even Babel is playing quite well when he's given the chance.

The problem is, we all know Rafa rarely resists the urge to make changes. Maxi is cuptied on Thursday but instead of bringing in Benayoun you can get you house on Kuyt returning. Apart from that I'd like to see the same side. That side last night was as good as anything in this league easily.
Last edited by stmichael on Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:37 am

anyone got a link to the goals?
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:41 am

Lee J wrote:anyone got a link to the goals?

here you go, lee. this is a pretty good highlights package

http://www.footytube.com/video/liverpool-portsmouth-mar15-37016

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games