Liverpool vs portsmouth - Play for the shirt

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:54 am

stmichael wrote:Blimey. I actually can say I enjoyed watching us last night.

It was OK i suppose  i wouldnt go as far as to say Blimey  :) BUT IT WAS NOT BAD
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:56 am

you da'man! :D
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:17 pm

NANNY RED wrote:

It was OK i suppose  i wouldnt go as far as to say Blimey  :) BUT IT WAS NOT BAD

What was nice is seeing the confidence in passing. One touch fluid movement of the ball. When you see that it inspires confidence.

Other positives were the link up play of the wingers with Torres and Aquilani. That diamond looks useful -

Torres

Babel                                    Rodriguez

Aquilani

Aquilani is moving in the right direction, I slated him but I also wished him to prove me wrong. You can see from a mile off he is a player who needs regular football, not rotation.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:59 pm

shawnk wrote:No one mentioned about Babel. Thought his performance was fine and always tried closing in on the opponent. Did see him link well with Torres a few times plus some one twos. He needs to get more chances.

if he would have been just a bit more accurate with some of his crosses he could have added a few assists
JoeTerp

Postby stmichael » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:26 pm

NANNY RED wrote:

well in all fairness nan we took our foot off our gas in the second half.

only disappointing thing was the sloppy goal conceded at the end and the attendance. lowest attendance for 5 years.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:47 pm

Reg wrote:
s@int wrote:
Reg wrote:Not be you pillow biter, I prefer chocolate chips in my icecream, not up my one eyed trouser snake.  :eyebrow

Yeah Judge told me you prefer it when he clears your throat for you afterwards. Past the teeth, past the gums, lookout stomach here Judge comes  :laugh:

S@int you have the IQ of an unborn child!  :help

And still 10 points above yours  :D

I will finish as you started

W@NKER!  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
account deleted by request

Postby Scottbot » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:22 pm

shawnk wrote:No one mentioned about Babel. Thought his performance was fine and always tried closing in on the opponent. Did see him link well with Torres a few times plus some one twos. He needs to get more chances.

Fully agree. I think the lad deserves some credit for the way he's applied himself this past 6 weeks. He's had to sit (on the bench) through some pretty horrible performances this season and has no doubt wondered 'why the hell am I still sat here' but his attitude seems to be much better. He's working his :censored: off defensively (I can't recall seeing him work so hard off the ball) and he has been one of the few (if only) lads playing with any confidence recently.

Rafa HAS to keep playing him.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:28 pm

stmichael wrote:Blimey. I actually can say I enjoyed watching us last night. Ok I know Pompey were dire but at least we showed a lot more attacking intent with the team lineup and reaped the rewards. It's hardly a coincidence that Torres and Gerrard looked better without Kuyt and Lucas in the side as there was far more movement around them. Maxi had his best game for us and hell even Babel is playing quite well when he's given the chance.

Spot on mate and the key word there is MOVEMENT. Just look at our front 5 yesterday - Maxi, Aquilani, Gerrard, Babel, Torres - FIVE skillful/attracking players who do (or can) play with good intelligence/movement. Skillful players play better with skillful players. We've got our wrecker in there (Masch) and we don't need to sit another one (Lucas) in there with him, le t alone two (Kuyt).
Last edited by Scottbot on Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:37 pm

Scottbot wrote:

Fully agree. I think the lad deserves some credit for the way he's applied himself this past 6 weeks. He's had to sit (on the bench) through some pretty horrible performances this season and has no doubt wondered 'why the hell am I still sat here' but his attitude seems to be much better. He's working his :censored: off defensively (I can't recall seeing him work so hard off the ball) and he has been one of the few (if only) lads playing with any confidence recently.

Rafa HAS to keep playing him.

yeah he was noticeably more involved than usual last night. in the past he would be noticeably peripheral in games.

just hope he can practice on crossing with his left foot a bit more to keep the fullback guessing about which way he's going to go.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Redman in wales » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:50 pm

Scottbot wrote:
stmichael wrote:Blimey. I actually can say I enjoyed watching us last night. Ok I know Pompey were dire but at least we showed a lot more attacking intent with the team lineup and reaped the rewards. It's hardly a coincidence that Torres and Gerrard looked better without Kuyt and Lucas in the side as there was far more movement around them. Maxi had his best game for us and hell even Babel is playing quite well when he's given the chance.

Spot on mate and the key word there is MOVEMENT. Just look at our front 5 yesterday - Maxi, Aquilani, Gerrard, Babel, Torres - FIVE skillful/attracking players who do (or can) play with good intelligence/movement. Skillful players play better with skillful players. We've got our wrecker in there (Masch) and we don't need to sit another one (Lucas) in there with him, le t alone two (Kuyt).

this

:nod
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:23 pm

s@int wrote:
Reg wrote:
s@int wrote:
Reg wrote:Not be you pillow biter, I prefer chocolate chips in my icecream, not up my one eyed trouser snake.  :eyebrow

Yeah Judge told me you prefer it when he clears your throat for you afterwards. Past the teeth, past the gums, lookout stomach here Judge comes  :laugh:

S@int you have the IQ of an unborn child!  :help

And still 10 points above yours  :D

I will finish as you started

W@NKER!  :laugh: 

Considering the whinging thats been going on about "the state of the forum", any chance you "lads" can swing yer handbags via pm ?

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:31 pm

JoeTerp wrote:

if he would have been just a bit more accurate with some of his crosses he could have added a few assists

I thought Babel was a bit unfortunate on those myself, as no one was making the committed back-post run in either case.  I think he overhit both a bit but they were still put into good areas and someone could have gotten on the end of one.  As someone who's been hyper-critical of Babel for a couple of seasons now, I was pleased with his performance last night and I would like to see him given more time on the pitch to build on this encouraging performance.  Same could be said of Aquilani.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:37 pm

I think one thing to keep in mind in all this is that Kuyt is not a useless player. Yes, we looked much better without him last night, but that isn't to say he is without value to the side.  While I would agree that Maxi was playing in a way that Kuyt would have not, Kuyt was in there working hard in the trenches week in week out for the side, and has also contributed some important goals like the one against Everton.
JoeTerp

Postby heimdall » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:59 pm

Finally Rafa plays an attacking formation and surprise surprise we start scoring goals and looking dangerous in attack plus less pressure on the defence. I'm so happy we have a genius manager, only took him 30 fecking games to figure it out mind you.

All the same very very happy with the win but I still think it's too little too late.
heimdall

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:39 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:

I thought Babel was a bit unfortunate on those myself, as no one was making the committed back-post run in either case.  I think he overhit both a bit but they were still put into good areas and someone could have gotten on the end of one.

Saw that Bob, Babel made two superb crosses to an area around the far post and if anyone had been quick enough to anticipate his intention they'd have been completely unmarked and odds on to score.

Maybe there's a "communication" breakdown but both of Babels deliveries deserseved a better reception.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games