LIVERPOOL VS BENFICA 2ND LEG - Thursday 8th april 20.05 k.o

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Boocity » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:19 am

The Daily Mail has the midfield and attack as follows:-

Kuyt     Lucas    Masc   Gerrard
                             Benny
                             Nando

I hope they are wrong, why we need to two defensive midfielders to start and pushing Gerrard out to the left I don't know.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedSi35 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:21 am

TheLad wrote:The only English team left with a chance to win a European silverware this year.. :D Come on Redmen!

lol who would have thought ! ! ! !

Team tonight? no bloody idea tbh.........maybe

Reina
Johnson Agger Greek Carra
Kuyt Masch Lucas Benny
Gerrard
Torres

Shame that Babel is out. With that midfield line up we have a very low creativity output and if Benny is not on form then we are going to struggle.

Do you think Rafa will go for it from the off tonight? can't see it, think he will want the boys to play it tight and nick a goal on the break then try and defend it.

:help  :help  :help
RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:27 am

I think it will be a walk in the park tonight. I didn't see anything from Benfica that caused me to worry too much. We just need to get our defenders to defend properly and not go missing and we are as good as through.

I think we should go with a team that shows both intent and purpose tonight

Reina

Johnson        Big Greek         Agger            Carra

Benny           Gerrard          Masch            Aquilani

Kuyt
                            Torres

Not sure if Aquilani can play on the left, but its worth a try, maybe swop him and Benny if he struggles . Liverpool 4 - Benfica 1
account deleted by request

Postby zirgoz » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:13 am

TheLad wrote:The only English team left with a chance to win a European silverware this year.. :D Come on Redmen!

I beg to differ... lets not forget Fulham :D
zirgoz

Postby rocky29 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:45 am

s@int wrote:I think it will be a walk in the park tonight. I didn't see anything from Benfica that caused me to worry too much. We just need to get our defenders to defend properly and not go missing and we are as good as through.

I think we should go with a team that shows both intent and purpose tonight

Reina

Johnson        Big Greek         Agger            Carra

Benny           Gerrard          Masch            Aquilani

Kuyt
                            Torres

Not sure if Aquilani can play on the left, but its worth a try, maybe swop him and Benny if he struggles . Liverpool 4 - Benfica 1

aquilani on the left? and u reckon were gona breeze through with ease. u probably think rafa will sell lucas at the end of season as well?
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:05 am

I'm well up for this. I just want to see some pride and passion for the shirt. The rest will take care of itself.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby SupitsJonF » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:08 am

If we don't concede, we will win comfortably.  If we do, it'll be one of those nights :D.

I do think we will go through, but lets not do it the hard way for once.
SupitsJonF

Postby lakes10 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:14 am

so i hear we are playing 3 at the back tonight.
it means that it will be
3-6-1    we all know Rafa dont like playinf 2 up front lol
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:18 pm

SupitsJonF wrote:If we don't concede, we will win comfortably.  If we do, it'll be one of those nights :D.

I do think we will go through, but lets not do it the hard way for once.

Essentially any win tonight puts us through. As long as they don't score two or more we can't lose on away goals.

1-0 win puts us through on away goals.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fauxy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:41 pm

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has hinted he could change formation against Benfica as he is unable to call upon a recognised left-back.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6080454,00.html

Looks like its gonna be 3 at the back!

A pretty hard choice tonight for Rafa if he's playing 3 at the back... I would probably go for

Reina

Carra           Kyrgiakos       Agger

Johnson        Lucas       Mascherano         Benayoun     

Gerrard         Aquilani

Torres
Fauxy

Postby TheLad » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:44 pm

zirgoz wrote:

I beg to differ... lets not forget Fulham :D

with a CHANCE to win  :eyebrow
TheLad
LFC Super Member

Postby Greavesie » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:52 pm

3 had a back is a bold thing to do. Why not just play with 2 strikers?

I agree with Fauxy, if we're playing three defenders Johnson should play as a winger, NOT Kuyt! :D
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Owzat » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:52 pm

Boocity wrote:The Daily Mail has the midfield and attack as follows:-

Kuyt     Lucas    Masc   Gerrard
                             Benny
                             Nando

I hope they are wrong, why we need to two defensive midfielders to start and pushing Gerrard out to the left I don't know.

Why would Rafa play Gerrard on the left if Benayoun is playing and has been pushed out on the left when those six play?!?!? Push comes to shove I'd put Gerrard on the right and Benayoun or Kuyt on the left, but the ideal push/shove would be Lucas or Mascherano out of the side and Aquilani starting.

He can always take Aquilani off and bring Mascherano on, but I think relying on keeping it tight won't work and I think they will score a goal so we need to be aiming at scoring three tonight, not that I give a preverbial about this competition. We try winning it 1-0 or 2-0 then an away goal will bite us on the Rs, the mancs got 3-0 up and they got stung by the away goal rule - I still think they should play for an aggregate win if it takes extra-time and penalties, and that it could have reprieved the mancs.

Could be our season, except for Houllier making an unbeaten start to the league this has too many similarities to 02/03, we finished fifth, lost 10 games, were embarrassed in the FA Cup at home to palace, went out of the CL in the groups and dropped into the UEFA cup and ended the season with a tin pot (albeit the league cup) I think we'll manage more than 64 points, maybe lose more than 10 games, but nine points from five games without losing isn't beyond Rafa's capability (draw vs Chelsea, Fulham and Hull, win against West Ham and Burnley)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:58 pm

need to be positive tonight. If we get knocked out of this I cant see Rafa been around for long as 4th place is pretty much dead in the water too. this could be his last game? I hope he pulls this around and goes onto win it but we're gonna have to play a lot better to beat the teams left in.

hoping :  4 - 0

happy with : 1 - 0

:laugh:
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:50 pm

Owzat wrote:Why would Rafa play Gerrard on the left if Benayoun is playing and has been pushed out on the left when those six play?!?!? Push comes to shove I'd put Gerrard on the right and Benayoun or Kuyt on the left, but the ideal push/shove would be Lucas or Mascherano out of the side and Aquilani starting.

Given we've got no recognised left back possibly Rafa's put Gerard on the left as his defensive capabilities are superior to anyone else who plays that position. Gerrards often played on the left for England and it wouldn't be the first time he's played there for Liverpool.

Those that are anticipating a fairly easy passage against Benfica may be in for an abrupt wake up call.

Given our defensive frailties Benfica are more than capable of scoring at least once . I know we went down to ten men in the first leg but we're gonna have to put in a far better performance than the one we gave in Lisbon if were gonna get anything out of this game.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games