LIVERPOOL V WBA Monday 11th Feb KO 8.00 pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:45 am

Homebooby » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:15 pm wrote:I must have watched a different game than all of you lot to be honest. We bossed the whole of the first half and it was amazing that we didn't walk in at half time with a bagful, up until the penalty miss we were all over them as well. No surprise that we didn't score a goal given that we didn't have a striker on the field, it was predicted before the game started that we'd struggle and it we did. For everyone who complained Downing always cuts in on his left, I watched him take on people to the byline and shoot balls in with his right foot and in general the commitment of the players, the ball control and some of the passing was fantastic. The load of you are flipping bi-polar when it comes to reviews...it's all a pile of Sh*t, or absolute genius and perhaps that makes good copy on here, or you feel a little better from the defeat but the fact of the matter is that this was no worse than many of games this season to be filed under 'How the feck did we manage to lose that?'.....we had em last year under Kenny and I am sure that we'll continue to have them going forward. It's plain to see that we miss class in many areas still but harping on about every week as if you've just had some sort of epiphany get's really old. Look at the way we chased, harried, passed for the most part of the game and you'll find them dedicated to the shirt, which is what most on here have been asking for.. Get behind the team and get them over this dodgy patch and let's see that run happen. Sturridge back next game, winning formation should be back.....get behind the team, let's see the run happen and let's see where we end up

when it gets to this stage of the season you`ve just got to find a way to win.
tonight we found ourselves playing in a must win game, at home, against a side that hadnt won a game in 2013 and what happens - we lose.
that game was a cup final for us and to me the players didnt play like it was a cup final, they didnt play badly but they didnt play like their lives depended on it either.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RedHands » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:02 am

^^^^First sensible post in this entire thread

WBA are a very well drilled side who have great CBs (McAuley and Olsson) and a GK who played a blinder. They rode their luck and nicked a goal

I think when we are playing this really open formation, we are going to have results like this as long as we keep being so wasteful in the final third. We had countless opportunities to score yet we couldn't score. 

One complaint I have and I think this allowed WBA to play us like they do is we are way too slow when we transition from defense to attack. Are our players under instructions to allow WBA to get 10 players behind the ball before we try to attack?

Also, against a side with a really strong spine like this WBA side, why not attack the flanks and try to flood the box with bodies? It seemed like we just tried to ram the ball down the center but it was never going to work.

Player Comments:
Enrique and Johnson were absolutely shocking today. They gave the ball away countless times even when not under pressure
Shelvey was f*cking terrible. His touch was awful and he gives the ball away way too many times
Agger should have scored at least one, lost McAuley for the goal, and got beat by Lukaka way too easily.
Henderson was great. He should have never come off.
Downing same as above.
Gerrard, penalty miss aside, pretty good game. Great long balls. Would have scored if not for a brilliant save by Foster
Borini wasn't as bad as some people made out to be. He makes intelligent runs. Had a good shot saved. Perhaps should have scored off the gerrard rebound
Sterling was pretty good. He made good decisions. Didn't give the ball away. Set up Gerrard for our best chance

I thought Brendan Rodgers starting 11 was reasonable. But the double substitution was suicidal. Should have taken off Shelvey for Sterling and kept Henderson on as a CM. I don't think we would have conceded a goal had he done that.
RedHands
LFC Basic Member

Postby Simari » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:05 am

Homebooby » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:15 pm wrote:I must have watched a different game than all of you lot to be honest. We bossed the whole of the first half and it was amazing that we didn't walk in at half time with a bagful, up until the penalty miss we were all over them as well. No surprise that we didn't score a goal given that we didn't have a striker on the field, it was predicted before the game started that we'd struggle and it we did. For everyone who complained Downing always cuts in on his left, I watched him take on people to the byline and shoot balls in with his right foot and in general the commitment of the players, the ball control and some of the passing was fantastic. The load of you are flipping bi-polar when it comes to reviews...it's all a pile of Sh*t, or absolute genius and perhaps that makes good copy on here, or you feel a little better from the defeat but the fact of the matter is that this was no worse than many of games this season to be filed under 'How the feck did we manage to lose that?'.....we had em last year under Kenny and I am sure that we'll continue to have them going forward. It's plain to see that we miss class in many areas still but harping on about every week as if you've just had some sort of epiphany get's really old. Look at the way we chased, harried, passed for the most part of the game and you'll find them dedicated to the shirt, which is what most on here have been asking for.. Get behind the team and get them over this dodgy patch and let's see that run happen. Sturridge back next game, winning formation should be back.....get behind the team, let's see the run happen and let's see where we end up

I think you're missing the point with sentiment on the game thread, especially those of us who comment during or immediately after. It is more a source of frustration that it has been 2 steps forward, 1 step back all season.

I know for myself that I hoped we would string together a decent run atleast at home to push for 4th, which for the record, I had written off before the start of the season.

BY all accounts, I am happy with the progress we've made with BR and this team from the start of the season.

Sometimes, you do have to read between the lines with most of the posts here :)
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:07 am

Gutted. We actually played OK without being great. Their keeper made some great saves but with “I can’t help going on the outside Downing” and thick as sh1t Shelvey supporting Suarez rather than Sturridge we lacked goal threat.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:06 am

Utter f.ucking joke!

This team is nowhere near ready to even THINK about CL football.

:no

West Brom fully deserved their win.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby RedHands » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:03 am

Pig Catcher » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:07 pm wrote:Gutted. We actually played OK without being great. Their keeper made some great saves but with “I can’t help going on the outside Downing” and thick as sh1t Shelvey supporting Suarez rather than Sturridge we lacked goal threat.

Thought Downing was actually one of the players who played ok today.
RedHands
LFC Basic Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:08 am

RedHands » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:03 am wrote:
Pig Catcher » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:07 pm wrote:Gutted. We actually played OK without being great. Their keeper made some great saves but with “I can’t help going on the outside Downing” and thick as sh1t Shelvey supporting Suarez rather than Sturridge we lacked goal threat.

Thought Downing was actually one of the players who played ok today.

Yes. Out of that lot yesterday I think Downing was our best player.  :Oo:

It's also morbidly ironic that the fella hanging up his boots at the end of the season is still our best defender.  :down:
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby alwayslfc » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:13 am

The result was the result of FSG in wanting to buy young players at bargain prices with high resale value and if they stubbornly persist with this policy we will forever be a work in progress side. I wonder whether they know whether there is a huge difference bdtween running a football club and playing the share market. Hope they saw the game and realiae they are reaping what they are sowing. BR must go if we are still midtable by end of his contract in 2 yrs time.
alwayslfc

Postby laza » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:24 am

Gutted its enough to make a Pope pack it in
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:48 am

*sigh*, where to begin.

utter shambles, control the game, miss a penalty (never a pen), lack any creativity and f*ck up at the back

Typical typical Liverpool
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:42 am

Credit to West Brom, they were very diciplined in what they did however it was a game we should have won simple as that. For their first goal, Agger was asleep and we have to stamp these stupid mistakes and to concentrate for the full 90 mins. Yes we were bossing the game but paid the price for falling asleep on one of their rare attacks, fact it was a set piece makes it even worse. Really am gutted. No point in putting in good performaces against Arsenal and Man City and then falling asleep against the likes of West Brom at home. We are conceding some really poor goals at the moment. Centre back needs to be one of the priorities in the summer
Doeboy

Postby crazyhorse » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:56 am

The keeper played very well indeed and on another day we would have been out of sight by the time they scored the first goal.

We missed Sturridge (already) badly, and I don't understand BR idea that Shelvey is somehow a number 10. I thought Downing was excellent but we went back to the bad old days of not attacking the right areas, if at All in the box.

All in all we lost the game on a sucker punch. Very disappointing but it happens.

We were never going to finish 4th this season, but I am reasonably happy with progress so far.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:29 am

alwayslfc » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:13 am wrote:The result was the result of FSG in wanting to buy young players at bargain prices with high resale value and if they stubbornly persist with this policy we will forever be a work in progress side. I wonder whether they know whether there is a huge difference bdtween running a football club and playing the share market. Hope they saw the game and realiae they are reaping what they are sowing. BR must go if we are still midtable by end of his contract in 2 yrs time.

cant blame fenway for that mate.
they will back rodgers on the players he wants and have done in borini,allen and sturridge. it just so happens that they are young but none of them would be here if rodgers wasnt. he is no yes man and has his own type's of players in mind that will suit his system so if those players are here its because he wants them.
the tactics and starting formation last night was poor and the motivation and drive non existent, thats down to rodgers and not fenway. shelvey has been off the radar now for 6-7 weeks but somehow he was deemed the man to play last night. henderson on the left wing was bizarre.
we got contained and frustrated by a team that had a plan and stuck to it, yes they rode their luck with 2 great saves from foster from play and then the pen which tbh was soft but they walked away winning 2.0 in the end and slamming the door to any shot at 4th we had in our faces.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:37 am

red till i die!! » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:29 am wrote:
alwayslfc » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:13 am wrote:The result was the result of FSG in wanting to buy young players at bargain prices with high resale value and if they stubbornly persist with this policy we will forever be a work in progress side. I wonder whether they know whether there is a huge difference bdtween running a football club and playing the share market. Hope they saw the game and realiae they are reaping what they are sowing. BR must go if we are still midtable by end of his contract in 2 yrs time.

they will back rodgers on the players he wants and have done in borini,allen and sturridge. it just so happens that they are young but none of them would be here if rodgers wasnt. he is no yes man and has his own type's of players in mind that will suit his system so if those players are here its because he wants them.
the tactics and starting formation last night was poor and the motivation and drive non existent, thats down to rodgers and not fenway. shelvey has been off the radar now for 6-7 weeks but somehow he was deemed the man to play last night. henderson on the left wing was bizarre.
we got contained and frustrated by a team that had a plan and stuck to it, yes they rode their luck with 2 great saves from foster from play and then the pen which tbh was soft but they walked away winning 2.0 in the end and slamming the door to any shot at 4th we had in our faces.

There's no use trying to convince him.

He wants an Abramovich or Sheikh Mansour to own us.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:30 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:37 am wrote:
red till i die!! » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:29 am wrote:

There's no use trying to convince him.

He wants an Abramovich or Sheikh Mansour to own us.

Shelvey was awful but so were Gerrard,Suarez,Johnson and Enrique and how the fk can FSG's policy be to blame for 40% of our outfield experienced players being downright fkg desperate?
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext